Unable to verify an experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janlane

Reaction score
Back in high school(10 years ago), I worked a couple shifts at a job to help my family. I was never actually hired because I only decided to stay a couple of shifts, 3 shifts....I am not even sure if people will remember me. I wrote about this on my disadvantaged essay. I was trying to go back to this place if they can verify me just incase schools wanted more information, but this business is gone and have no contacts whatsoever. Is this bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, verification is only performed when something seems fishy. Even when performed, it’s only a problem when someone contradicts what you’ve written “so and so never worked here and I have the records to prove it”. It’s not an issue if the company is now gone and can’t be verified. On activities on AMCAS they do ask for a reference I believe, so if you’re going to list it there I would have a name ready.

Nah, verification is only performed when something seems fishy. Even when performed, it’s only a problem when someone contradicts what you’ve written “so and so never worked here and I have the records to prove it”. It’s not an issue if the company is now gone and can’t be verified. On activities on AMCAS they do ask for a reference I believe, so if you’re going to list it there I would have a name ready.
Thank you for your response. I just briefly mentioned that I worked there to help my family on the disadvantage essay. I did not list it on my activities. I just worry if I am already deep in med school and they decide to verify.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. I just briefly mentioned that I worked there to help my family on the disadvantage essay. I did not list it on my activities. I just worry if I am already deep in med school and they decide to verify.

In that case, not a problem. I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Reactions: 1 user
@gonnif

I see that you’re knowledgeable on the verification process due to your comments on similar posts. What’s your take on this?

Verification is only needed for work and activities. The less important/more common the experience, the less need for verification. It is highly unlikely that anyone with check that you worked a few shifts years ago in a disadvantage essay. This is a non issue.

An example of a real issue would be you claim 1,000 of research in a prestigious place and no letter or verification info. I have had many times run into verifying volunteer hours where the applicant worked 200 hours 3 years ago, and they dont keep records, they have had 2 new coordinators since then, etc. I asked the current coordinator if they have premeds from the nearby college volunteer, she said yes. That is enough verification.
Thank you, this make sense. I guess I’m worried because I tried to get someone to verify but no one can do this. I just hope the school I attend does make a big deal if they really really want verification.

No one will feel the need to verify that you worked 3 shifts to help your family when it was in economic distress. The question I have is how much impact economically and in terms of your journey a mere three shifts had on you. Are you just using those three shifts to check "yes" in terms of employment before age 18?

Reactions: 2 users
No one will feel the need to verify that you worked 3 shifts to help your family when it was in economic distress. The question I have is how much impact economically and in terms of your journey a mere three shifts had on you. Are you just using those three shifts to check "yes" in terms of employment before age 18?
I worked three shifts then realized that the place wasn’t the place to be. Couple months later I took on a job and was hired working part time. All this was done before age 18.

I worked three shifts then realized that the place wasn’t the place to be. Couple months later I took on a job and was hired working part time. All this was done before age 18.
Why are you worried about 3 shifts when you worked part time job a “couple months later”?

Why are you worried about 3 shifts when you worked part time job a “couple months later”?
Because I can’t verify working those three shifts if a school decides to check up in that.

You aren't obligated to include that very brief work experience (or any experience whatsoever) in your work/activities section and that is the only area that is checked into.

You aren't obligated to include that very brief work experience (or any experience whatsoever) in your work/activities section and that is the only area that is checked into.
I am currently in this application cycle so my application is already submitted. I only mentioned working there in my disadvantaged essay, but didn’t say it was only three shifts. I did not add it to my W/A section.

two of the organizations i worked with are currently out of business, and the references I listed down will no longer work.
I think for one, the guy literally got convicted of fraud lol, so that reference probably isn't worth much (I left before they shifted into this).