Unaccredited New MD program vs carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catman21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question in title:

Would you rather attend a new unaccredited MD program within the US or go Caribbean?

Members don't see this ad.

Question in title:

Would you rather attend a new unaccredited MD program within the US or go Caribbean?

How exactly is it an MD program, if it's unaccredited? Pointless question is pointless.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question in title:

tumblr_m5u4rkZbRS1rys4czo1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Neither. I would change career paths all together and either become either a patent agent or medical malpractice attorney for plaintiffs.

Don't new programs get provisional accreditation? Meaning if the first couple classes don't do well accreditation can be yanked?

Don't new programs get provisional accreditation? Meaning if the first couple classes don't do well accreditation can be yanked?

Yes, and I am assuming that's what the OP meant. Nevertheless, I think this can be risky. If accreditation falls through, you are completely screwed.

Forgive me for not being an AAMC accreditation expert, and for my poor word choice.
Let's assume that the program in question has temporary provision accreditation, like one of the previous posters so kindly mentioned. Or just be the syntax police idgaf.
#pretentious

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question in title:

Most schools that the LCME has preliminarily accredited are probably going to get accredited. The LCME is very strict and just getting to the point of enrolling a class means the school probably has its act together and will graduate that first class, thereby earning accreditation. So without a doubt, unequivocally, I would go to the new US MD program. Not even a close choice.

Reactions: 4 users
Question in title:

There is no such thing as a new unaccredited MD program in the U.S.

Forgive me for not being an AAMC accreditation expert, and for my poor word choice.
Let's assume that the program in question has temporary provision accreditation, like one of the previous posters so kindly mentioned. Or just be the syntax police idgaf.
#pretentious

I hope your aggression wasn't towards me... the only reason I mentioned this is because people were blowing you off as asking a stupid question just because you didn't use the right term...

yuck people in here are straight up jerks...future doctors =) no wonder why they all get sued.

Reactions: 1 user
Aggression...lol.

Solid responses from the gifted elite.

Any US MD program>>>> Caribbean

I think OP meant the new programs that yet receive full accreditation status, like TCMc or UCF (I heard this a while a go, so correct me if I'm not up to date with information)
A program has to pass many LCME requirements to receive applicants for their inaugural class, so that's quite assuring. Also you can look at the reputation of the affiliated institution. UT Austin is trying to open up a new MD program (. 2016 maybe). With the UT system and UT Austin itself, no one would doubt this program

Reactions: 1 user
I think OP meant the new programs that yet receive full accreditation status, like TCMc or UCF (I heard this a while a go, so correct me if I'm not up to date with information)
A program has to pass many LCME requirements to receive applicants for their inaugural class, so that's quite assuring. Also you can look at the reputation of the affiliated institution. UT Austin is trying to open up a new MD program (. 2016 maybe). With the UT system and UT Austin itself, no one would doubt this program
Of course if you had posted this twelve months ago, one of the UT medical schools was under LCME probation.

Reputation and doubt are so fleeting around here.

Any US MD program>>>> Caribbean
Clearly you aren't familiar with Stewart School of Medicine.

OP, if you mean a provisional program, which I assume you do, definitely go with the provisional. All schools are initially granted provisional status, and I am not aware of a school that has been granted LCME provisional status that subsequently lost it completely within the first couple of classes.

I hope your aggression wasn't towards me... the only reason I mentioned this is because people were blowing you off as asking a stupid question just because you didn't use the right term...

Not you, thanks for the proper phrasing lol

Question in title:

Are you referring to a particular US school? It's been said many times in this thread that LCME has stringent standard when given pre-accreditation status. Therefore, when a school is pre-accredited, it will most likely get full accreditation unless that school screw up badly. You should go to the US school with no hesitation whatsoever.

Aren't they kind of the same thing? Schools that are not LCME accredited are generally off shore schools.

Honestly, I would rather take a year off than do either. How much would it suck to get all the way through medical school and have all that debt just to be told that you can't graduate? If the school has been around for awhile and was about to graduate it's first class it might be worth it, otherwise I'd just wait and see. If you think you can kill your steps, go overseas. Just know it'll be a really hard fight but at least you'll be guaranteed your degree.

I would do a new MD program in the US because they are almost invariably accredited eventually.

Of course if you had posted this twelve months ago, one of the UT medical schools was under LCME probation.

Reputation and doubt are so fleeting around here.
I had an interview at this school and still it felt like a great place. Everyone has a bad day I guess.

Neither. I would change career paths all together and either become either a patent agent or medical malpractice attorney for plaintiffs.

I misread patent agent and thought it said "pagent teen" lmao

Last edited: