Unbalanced 506 MCAT, CA resident problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisztomania287

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A CA school will be a long shot with the equivalent of a 29 MCAT unless you are an Adventist or from the IE.
The 1oth percentile for UCI, UCSD, UCSF, USC and Stanford are all above that. UCLA's 10th% is 27 but that includes Drew and Prime and I don't see anything in your post that indicates that you would be a strong candidate for those programs.
If you attended UCD, it may be worth a shot.
I cannot recommend Northstate.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn Thank you for your response. Is it discouraged to apply to schools with 10th percentile score even just a point above your MCAT score? If so, is that at least a little bit more flexible in terms of subsection 10th percentile scores?

I ask because 124 CARS score seems to translate 8 in VR, so I'm wondering if that limits me from applying to schools with 9 as VR 10th percentile. I guess that would make every medical school a reach school for me given that I barely make it into the 10th percentile range even at low-tier MD schools :(

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn Thank you for your response. Is it discouraged to apply to schools with 10th percentile score even just a point above your MCAT score? If so, is that at least a little bit more flexible in terms of subsection 10th percentile scores?

I ask because 124 CARS score seems to translate 8 in VR, so I'm wondering if that limits me from applying to schools with 9 as VR 10th percentile. I guess that would make every medical school a reach school for me given that I barely make it into the 10th percentile range even at low-tier MD schools :(
I discourage becoming a re-applicant. You want to apply once with your best possible application. If this is your best application, go for it.
I'm am not discouraging your application to the CA schools. I'm pointing out how remote the chance of success is here, not only because of the CARS score, but the overall score as well.
Success in CA is difficult at every level of stats. Your OOS chances will be higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a chance for an interview at some OOS private schools such as:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that open for 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall)
Also apply to at least 10 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

@gyngyn @Faha Thank you for the responses! Realistically, do you two think my chances at these MD schools will significantly increase if my MCAT goes up to 510-515 before the upcoming application cycle? Or would just putting my energy towards my application/essays be more helpful realistically?

@gyngyn @Faha Thank you for the responses! Realistically, do you two think my chances at these MD schools will significantly increase if my MCAT goes up to 510-515 before the upcoming application cycle? Or would just putting my energy towards my application/essays be more helpful realistically?
There is no guarantee that your MCAT will go up. It could go down. Also it is expected that your score would increase on a 2nd try so a slight increase is of no benefit. You should be able to receive DO interviews as long as you apply broadly. MD is more unpredictable.

Reactions: 2 users
@gyngyn
Why don't you recommend Northstate?
1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.

2. Their choice to deny their students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms while charging $53,402 tuition shows a disregard for the financial burden of their students. Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.

3. A review of faculty credentials reveals a significant lack of scholarship.

4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican Americans, they only had a single representative from this group.

5. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider this school in a favorable light.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't recommend applying to schools when your stats are below their tenth %ile. Wishful thinking is not a good strategy for success.

I recommend:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Netter
UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start your list with Touro-CA and Western.

By all means, colleague, DO go on!!!

1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.

2. Their choice to deny their students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms while charging $53,402 tuition. Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.

4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican Americans, they only had a single representative from this group.

5. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider these graduates in the same light as other applicants at the moment.

2. Their choice to deny their students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms while charging $53,402 tuition shows a disregard for the financial burden of their students. Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.

5. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider these students in the same light as other applicants.

Absolutely understand what you mean. A friend of mine just recently received a secondary from them this late in the cycle. Do you think it was a money move only?

Absolutely understand what you mean. A friend of mine just recently received a secondary from them this late in the cycle. Do you think it was a money move only?

They may be hoping that only the unaccepted would respond at this late date. This would increase yield.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback.

After giving it quite some thought (days of reading through SDN, talking with fam & counselors), I decided to take an extra gap year to retake MCAT and further strengthen my application. Having never thought about TWO gap years, I had a hard time coming to terms with feeling "behind" and disappointed in myself.

However, I have a full time research position lined up after upcoming graduation, a family that supports my decision, and an opportunity to significantly improve my chances. Though I wish I did not have to take an extra gap year, I think spending an extra year strengthening my app + living a little seems to be worth it for having a greater chance at MD schools, making competitive residency match a bit easier, and not living the rest of my life with "what if I had retaken," "what if I got into MD," etc.

If my MCAT ends up not improving much and/or I only get into DO schools, I think I'll still be happy that I won't be asking myself those "what if's" later in life, knowing that I've given all I've got.

Though this post may have been TMI for many of you, I hope it is helpful to any future reader who is going through the same/similar dilemma!