Unbalanced MCAT Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just have a question regarding my MCAT score.
I took my third MCAT on 8/1 and received my score (132/124/131/129). As you can see, my CARS section is low compared to the other sections.
While I'm happy with my overall score, I am concerned how negatively the admission committee will look at my CARS score, since I'm in the current application cycle.
I will really appreciate if anyone can tell me how my unbalanced MCAT score will be looked.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you’re aiming for top schools, a good rule of thumb is to receive 125+ on all the sections. All Canadian schools will not like that low CARS score. Since I don’t know what your goal is, I’ll need more info.

If you’re aiming for top schools, a good rule of thumb is to receive 125+ on all the sections. All Canadian schools will not like that low CARS score. Since I don’t know what your goal is, I’ll need more info.

most of the schools I applied in this cycle are not top schools. My first two MCAT scores were not high, so I only applied to schools where matriculants have an average MCAT of 512. At first I was not targeting any specific top schools, but my recent MCAT score is making me think whether I should add more top schools.

most of the schools I applied in this cycle are not top schools. My first two MCAT scores were not high, so I only applied to schools where matriculants have an average MCAT of 512. At first I was not targeting any specific top schools, but my recent MCAT score is making me think whether I should add more top schools.
Most top schools aren't going to tolerate a sub 127 (and some sub 128 or even sub 129) CARS score let alone a 124. Don't apply to the top schools in the country, you'd be throwing away money.

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your first 2 MCAT scores? I think the fact that this your third attempt will be more impactful than a 124...

What were your first 2 MCAT scores? I think the fact that this your third attempt will be more impactful than a 124...

My first two scores were 503 and 506, and I took them in 2017.
I hope that admission committee will look at my improvement favorably

My first two scores were 503 and 506, and I took them in 2017.
I hope that admission committee will look at my improvement favorably
Congrats on the significant improvement. What changes did you make to improve your MCAT?

I think they will look favorably on your improvement and I don’t think your cars score would be any more impactful than the retakes. You should be good to go.

Congrats on the significant improvement. What changes did you make to improve your MCAT?

I actually did post-bacc program, and its biochemistry course helped me a lot with understanding important concepts in MCAT. I also did Kaplan, which helped me organize orgo, biochem and bio concepts. After doing section banks, I did Kaplan FL first and then AAMC FL for the last two weeks before my MCAT date. I personally think Kaplan was very helpful, but I also agree that Kaplan FL and section banks focus more on concepts, while AAMC FL and actual test focus more on interpretation of data or experiments. I'm not sure about other prep, since I only used Kaplan.

Reactions: 1 user