-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UNC Class of 2008!
Started by amfrank
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
damn unc! screwed up my bracket!!!
😛
😛
Sweet, congrats on heading back to school! Hopefully your ugrad school doesn't screw up my bracket...Originally posted by heifer
swiper, i'm a '98 grad too. not nd though.
Hey there! I am from out of state and know very little about the area. Any recommendations from my fellow Tar Heels about places to live or fun things to do while visiting the area would be appreciated. I look forward to meeting some of you next month!
Avoid Durham, unless you want to see the home of the far superior basketball team 😉Originally posted by FoxDL
Hey there! I am from out of state and know very little about the area. Any recommendations from my fellow Tar Heels about places to live or fun things to do while visiting the area would be appreciated. I look forward to meeting some of you next month!
Originally posted by amfrank
Has anyone gave any thought on where they are going to live? I am trying to figure out the best apartments to live in.
I lived in Durham and in Chapel Hill when I attended UNC for grad school. I've also had friends that have lived in most of the apartments in the area. If you are interested in something, let me know and I can tell you what I know about them. The best thing is that the buses are free so you can hop on and off, so the apartments near the buslines are good ones. The only bad thing is that if you live too far away, you have to worry about when the last bus runs until and have to make your plans according to that.
I hope this helps!
P.S. UNC is one of my top choices, so I might be looking for roommate(s) soon.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by heifer
did everybody get the board of governors' scholarship app? if not everyone, did anyone else on here? i'm assuming they gave it to at least 12 people.
I got one as well. I talked to Randee about it and she said that they will select the 12 people who most need it (financially). Does that mean they send it out to more then 12 and then select from the pool that returns the apps?
Swiper The Fox said:*bump*
Will anyone else be at UNC on Saturday?
Have I responded to this one yet? I will. Bright and early, 8:30am, right after flying back home from NYC at midnight the night before! 😴
::cough cough::
If only NCSU had a med school. 🙁
If only NCSU had a med school. 🙁
For those of you who are out-of-state, did they talk to you about getting North Carolina residency? I'm curious how difficult they make it on you. I'll be at Duke next year, but will most likely get my MPH at UNC during third year and need residency to avoid paying the tuition difference.
heeldoc23 said:I will be there on the 17th as well. I can't seem to find my email however saying when and where to be? Can anyone post this so I can avoid an embarrasing call to the admissions office? Thanks!!!
Hey at least u didn't have to email Randee Reid a full week after the big bold due date in the email, telling her u forgot to RSVP 🙂
I'll post the email in a bit.
Congratulations on your acceptance to The University of North Carolina School of Medicine. We know that many accepted applicants visited the school months ago and would like to revisit our campus; also other more recently accepted applicants may still have questions. Therefore, we have planned an Applicant Appreciation Day for Saturday, April 17, 2004. We would like to extend an invitation to you to join us and a group of other accepted students on this date. This will allow you an opportunity for a closer look at UNC by meeting faculty, students, and staff. A schedule of the events and a response form are attached.
Parking will be available in the Visitor's Parking Deck (Dogwood) on Manning Drive. http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/physiolo/HealthSouth2.gif
To access the Medical Biomolecular Research Building (MBRB), you will need to exit the rear of the parking deck onto Mason Farm Road (The front of the parking deck is across from the hospitals.) Walk up the street (stay on the same side of the street as the parking deck) to MBRB, it will be on your right, We will have balloons guiding your way.
http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/physiolo/HealthSouth.gif
Registration will begin in the lobby at 8:30 and at that time you will be provided with a name tag, a parking coupon and a Continental breakfast. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, April 17!
Please R.S.V.P. by Wednesday, March 31. Thank you.
Parking will be available in the Visitor's Parking Deck (Dogwood) on Manning Drive. http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/physiolo/HealthSouth2.gif
To access the Medical Biomolecular Research Building (MBRB), you will need to exit the rear of the parking deck onto Mason Farm Road (The front of the parking deck is across from the hospitals.) Walk up the street (stay on the same side of the street as the parking deck) to MBRB, it will be on your right, We will have balloons guiding your way.
http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/physiolo/HealthSouth.gif
Registration will begin in the lobby at 8:30 and at that time you will be provided with a name tag, a parking coupon and a Continental breakfast. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, April 17!
Please R.S.V.P. by Wednesday, March 31. Thank you.
April 13, 2004
Prematriculant
UNC School of Medicine
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7530
Dear Sir/Madam:
Congratulations on your acceptance to The University of North Carolina School of Medicine. We know that many accepted applicants visited the school months ago and would like to revisit our campus; also other more recently accepted applicants may still have questions. Therefore, we have planned an Applicant Appreciation Day for Saturday, April 17, 2004. We would like to extend an invitation to you to join us and a group of other accepted students on this date. This will allow you an opportunity for a closer look at UNC by meeting faculty, students, and staff. A schedule of the events and a response form are enclosed.
On Saturday, April 17th, starting at 8:30 a.m., we will assemble in the lobby of the Medical Biomolecular Research Building (MBRB) for registration and a continental breakfast; our program will begin promptly at 9:00 in Room 2204. Several panels have been planned that will present key elements of our medical school program. The panels will include faculty and students to talk about each year of medical school, service organizations, student activities, research and international opportunities.
The structured day should end at 3:00 p.m.
Please complete the attached Response Form and return it to our office by Wednesday, March 31st. You may telephone anytime at (919) 966-9931 or via email at ([email protected]) or by fax to (919) 966-9930, to confirm or decline your attendance.
We encourage you to take advantage of this special opportunity to see, first-hand, what the School of Medicine can offer you.
Sincerely,
Applicant Appreciation Day
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Medicine
Saturday, April 17, 2004
8:30-9:00 REGISTRATION
Lobby of Medical Biomolecular Research Building
9:00-9:30 INTRODUCTIONS/STUDENT VIDEO
2204 Medical Biomolecular Research Building
Axalla Hoole, MD - Presiding
Associate Dean for Admissions
Cheryl McCartney, MD
Executive Associate Dean for
Medical Education
Georgette Dent, MD
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Larry Keith, MS
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Director of Recruitment/Special Programs
9:30-10:20 The First Three Years
Faculty and Students
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3
10:20-10:35 BREAK
10:35-11:20 THE FOURTH YEAR
COMMUNITY & INTERNATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
11:30-1:30 LUNCH ? HILL BALLROOM
The Carolina Inn
Research Opportunities
2:15-3:00 Tours
3:00 End of Day
Prematriculant
UNC School of Medicine
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7530
Dear Sir/Madam:
Congratulations on your acceptance to The University of North Carolina School of Medicine. We know that many accepted applicants visited the school months ago and would like to revisit our campus; also other more recently accepted applicants may still have questions. Therefore, we have planned an Applicant Appreciation Day for Saturday, April 17, 2004. We would like to extend an invitation to you to join us and a group of other accepted students on this date. This will allow you an opportunity for a closer look at UNC by meeting faculty, students, and staff. A schedule of the events and a response form are enclosed.
On Saturday, April 17th, starting at 8:30 a.m., we will assemble in the lobby of the Medical Biomolecular Research Building (MBRB) for registration and a continental breakfast; our program will begin promptly at 9:00 in Room 2204. Several panels have been planned that will present key elements of our medical school program. The panels will include faculty and students to talk about each year of medical school, service organizations, student activities, research and international opportunities.
The structured day should end at 3:00 p.m.
Please complete the attached Response Form and return it to our office by Wednesday, March 31st. You may telephone anytime at (919) 966-9931 or via email at ([email protected]) or by fax to (919) 966-9930, to confirm or decline your attendance.
We encourage you to take advantage of this special opportunity to see, first-hand, what the School of Medicine can offer you.
Sincerely,
Applicant Appreciation Day
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
School of Medicine
Saturday, April 17, 2004
8:30-9:00 REGISTRATION
Lobby of Medical Biomolecular Research Building
9:00-9:30 INTRODUCTIONS/STUDENT VIDEO
2204 Medical Biomolecular Research Building
Axalla Hoole, MD - Presiding
Associate Dean for Admissions
Cheryl McCartney, MD
Executive Associate Dean for
Medical Education
Georgette Dent, MD
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Larry Keith, MS
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Director of Recruitment/Special Programs
9:30-10:20 The First Three Years
Faculty and Students
Year 1
Year 2
Year 3
10:20-10:35 BREAK
10:35-11:20 THE FOURTH YEAR
COMMUNITY & INTERNATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
11:30-1:30 LUNCH ? HILL BALLROOM
The Carolina Inn
Research Opportunities
2:15-3:00 Tours
3:00 End of Day
I just wanted to say congratulations to all the incoming tarheels in the class of 2008! Enjoy your second look day this weekend -- and if you have any questions about life in Chapel Hill as an MS1, feel free to PM me 😀
I was wondering the same thing. It's going to be a nice day - 75 and sunny.Chemguync said:are we supposed to dress any particular way?
"Nice casual."Chemguync said:are we supposed to dress any particular way?
Swiper The Fox said:"Nice casual."
Oops, I was planning on jeans.. that too casual?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could be, but then again I really have no idea. I'm going with khakis to be safe. They also said to bring comfortable shoes, it sounds like we'll be walking a lot.Chemguync said:Oops, I was planning on jeans.. that too casual?
Not a lot of "new information," but interesting to hear different perspectives from current students. There were segments devoted to each of the four years, with students from each class on stage to talk about their lives and answer questions. Community service opportunities throughout the four years were also discussed/stressed. Actually, lunch at the Carolina Inn was probably the only important/good thing you missed, unless you count the free UNC Med t-shirt. 😉ngtah00 said:Hi,
I couldn't make it last Saturday and I was wondering if you could summarize anything important/good that I missed.
Thanks!
ngtah00 said:Thanks Swiper for the update. I want a free t-shirt!
Does anyone know when we will hear financial aid decisions?
Although I just withdrew from UNC, I thought I could still contribute to this discussion... I called their fin aid office a few weeks ago and was told that packages would not be sent out till June 1. 😡
Good luck with your move and at P&S!SarahGM said:Although I just withdrew from UNC, I thought I could still contribute to this discussion... I called their fin aid office a few weeks ago and was told that packages would not be sent out till June 1. 😡
Congrats y'all! I'm sure it'll be very exciting! I will be applying this summer and praying to God that I get into UNC, my first and only choice. - Firas
I didn't. But, for what it's worth, I did my postbacc work at UNC.dhooppi said:i don't mean to hijack the thread.
Did most of you do your ugrads in an NC school?
Thanks
deamondeacon said:...and only choice.
Big mistake if u want to get in on the first try.
dhooppi said:i don't mean to hijack the thread.
Did most of you do your ugrads in an NC school?
Thanks
Graduated from UNC Charlotte.
I'll still apply everywhere else, too. But heck, how many tries does it take to get in?
Thread revival time...
Any incoming Tarheels know where they're living yet? My family will be moving into a place in Southern Village at the end of July.
Also, here is the orientation info from last year, most of it is still applicable. There's also a good "ask a second year" forum under the Life At School link: 2003 Orientation Info
Any incoming Tarheels know where they're living yet? My family will be moving into a place in Southern Village at the end of July.
Also, here is the orientation info from last year, most of it is still applicable. There's also a good "ask a second year" forum under the Life At School link: 2003 Orientation Info
Swiper said:Thread revival time...
Any incoming Tarheels know where they're living yet? My family will be moving into a place in Southern Village at the end of July.
Also, here is the orientation info from last year, most of it is still applicable. There's also a good "ask a second year" forum under the Life At School link: 2003 Orientation Info
Swiper,
Thanks for the orientation information, pretty useful stuff.
Southern village is a good place to live. I love the movie theater and the whole foods that's right there. Will you ride the bus to school every morning? Drive?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You kind of have to ride the bus - they won't give out parking passes to anyone who lives within 2 miles (I think that's the distance). Everyone in my class either walks, takes the bus, or rides a bike in. The bus is free and runs pretty regularly, so getting to school has never been a problem at all.
Oh yeah, I'm definitely taking the bus. We've already scoped out the bus stop location as well as the schedule. We live in Durham now, we're selling our house and moving closer to be on the bus line as well as get into the CH school district. We've already gone down to one car in anticipation of my bus riding.
So... anyone want to buy a house in Durham? 15 minutes to UNC, 10 minutes to Duke... 😀
So... anyone want to buy a house in Durham? 15 minutes to UNC, 10 minutes to Duke... 😀
Did anyone else sign up for parking in the S11 lot? I did the lottery and I actually got the permit. I feel so special, like I won something!!! haha.
But I don't think I am going to take it, because I found a place close to campus to live.
Now, if only I could be so lucky with financial aid...Congratulations! You've won a free ride!
But I don't think I am going to take it, because I found a place close to campus to live.
Now, if only I could be so lucky with financial aid...Congratulations! You've won a free ride!

I would agree that getting a parking permit really doesn't make sense, b/c as someone mentioned, you'd have to walk/take a bus from the S11 parking lot anyway. I have friends who live as far away as the RTP, and they just drive in to the Friday Center Park and Ride and take the bus in. Also, most of the lots here are free after 5 PM and on weekends, so it's easy enough to drive in on evenings and weekends.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 592