UNC Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuraRX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:clap: Congrats to all those accepted and Good Luck to all those still waiting!! :luck:

Let's make this an information thread on everything related to our entering class for UNC.

To begin, I have a question. Has anyone received any other information after their acceptance packet? They said the first day of classes is still to be determined. Does anyone know if they've set a date yet?

Members don't see this ad.

cool, i joined (although I have to admit, I'm still a little facebook-illiterate) :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
They cashed my deposit check about a week ago, but i sent it from on campus. Things obviously travel insanely fast when in the same city. haha.

I haven't heard about the first day of classes or anything yet. But I'm very very excited to be classmates with all of you! :D

So how old are you guys? I'm turning 27 in 2 weeks...am I gonna be the old geezer here? :rolleyes:

i hope you all don't mind me joining your discussion! i have been lurking for awhile, afraid to post because i was worried i wouldn't get in!

MuraRX, to answer your question, i will be 21 when classes start :) don't worry, you won't be the oldest...and no one has to know your age ;)

So how old are you guys? I'm turning 27 in 2 weeks...am I gonna be the old geezer here? :rolleyes:

I turn 27 in October. So you're only 8 months older than me you geezer, but I try not to let this information out because I want to see how I fair with the younger ladies. :eek:

I'm 20 :) I will be 21 this summer

I turn 27 in October. So you're only 8 months older than me you geezer, but I try not to let this information out because I want to see how I fair with the younger ladies. :eek:

haha...as long as I have someone to go drink with when the stress gets crazy :D

for those of you coming in from out of the area, when do you plan on moving? we should have a get together before classes/ orientation starts!

also, if anyone has questions about apartments, the bus line, the area, etc, let me know. i know Carroll is currently a UNC student, but i'm not sure if there are any others. i currently have an apartment in chapel hill so i might be able to answer any questions! :)

I'm only 19 right now, but I'll be 20 when classes start. Sounds like I'm the baby.

And "Acetyl", you'll have no problem with the younger ladies. lol

for those of you coming in from out of the area, when do you plan on moving? we should have a get together before classes/ orientation starts!

also, if anyone has questions about apartments, the bus line, the area, etc, let me know. i know Carroll is currently a UNC student, but i'm not sure if there are any others. i currently have an apartment in chapel hill so i might be able to answer any questions! :)

I'm doing some research, but I don't think I'll start serious apartment hunting 'til the summer. Although if anyone wants to get together between now and the Fall, I'm definitely up for it. I'm in Wilmington but I'll take the drive :)

i got my acceptance letter today!!! i'll be 22 in june and i can't wait to meet you all next year. if anyone has advice about off campus apartments, i love to know your opinion of some close apartments.

feel free to add me as your friend on facebook:
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/p/Nicole_Kitts/2021509">Facebook me!</a>

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm 22 right now, so it seems like I'm right in the middle as far as age goes. Does anyone from UNC have any recommendations for where to look for a place to live? I'm actually considering buying someplace because my fiance and I plan on living in the area for a while. Are there any good condo buildings in the area? Any info would be appreciated.

And congrats to everyone accepted! :)

I received my acceptance letter through mail yesterday! I'm 22. I can't wait to meet everyone!
I did my undergrad at UNC. There are many appartments in Chapel Hill area and Carrboro... but i'm not sure about condos. I think i'll start apartment hunting in May.

To those of you with apartment questions...i currently have an apartment in carrboro, and i'm familiar with several of the complexes in the area. i'd say one of the most important things is to find a place on the bus line. the buses are free, and since parking on campus is a huge pain, most students just take the bus. here's a map of the bus routes, but its kind of hard to read. let me know if you have a question about if a certain place is on the route.. http://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.asp?NID=793

as for good places to look..carrboro is definitely cheaper, and there's plenty of places in carrboro that are only a few miles from campus. there aren't many new places in chapel hill or carrboro, but some have been renovated. there are some new condos down 15-501..providence glen condominiums. they are very nice but pricey. one thing about 15-501 is that there are a lot of lights and it tends to get packed around rush hours. there's a place off NC 54 called Finley Forest that is like townhomes. a lot of them are rented out by landlords, but you might find one for sale. there are also glen lennox cottages, which i guess you would call one story townhomes. some of the newer apartment complexes that are coming to mind are meadowmont and southern village.

phew, this is getting long so i better wrap it up here... if anyone wants help, let me know what sort of place you have in mind and i'll try to suggest ones i know of. any questions at all, i'd be happy to help with!

have a great week everyone and i can't wait to meet you all!

Hey everyone! I've sent my deposit and everything in, but I haven't received any additional stuff yet. I'm 20 now, but I'll be 21 when classes start. I need to start apartment hunting fairly soon as well.

To those of you with apartment questions...i currently have an apartment in carrboro, and i'm familiar with several of the complexes in the area. i'd say one of the most important things is to find a place on the bus line. the buses are free, and since parking on campus is a huge pain, most students just take the bus. here's a map of the bus routes, but its kind of hard to read. let me know if you have a question about if a certain place is on the route.. http://www.townofchapelhill.org/index.asp?NID=793

as for good places to look..carrboro is definitely cheaper, and there's plenty of places in carrboro that are only a few miles from campus. there aren't many new places in chapel hill or carrboro, but some have been renovated. there are some new condos down 15-501..providence glen condominiums. they are very nice but pricey. one thing about 15-501 is that there are a lot of lights and it tends to get packed around rush hours. there's a place off NC 54 called Finley Forest that is like townhomes. a lot of them are rented out by landlords, but you might find one for sale. there are also glen lennox cottages, which i guess you would call one story townhomes. some of the newer apartment complexes that are coming to mind are meadowmont and southern village.

phew, this is getting long so i better wrap it up here... if anyone wants help, let me know what sort of place you have in mind and i'll try to suggest ones i know of. any questions at all, i'd be happy to help with!

have a great week everyone and i can't wait to meet you all!

Definitely you want something on the bus line. No one parks on campus unless you live on campus. Carborro is cheaper, but Chapel Hill is more convenient. You will pay an extra $100-$200/month rent for that convenience.

You can live in south west Durham and drive a few miles to a park and ride for even less than you will pay in Carborro. Using the Park and Rides is not that bad.

I live in Chapel Hill about 1 mile from school and though I pay a little more, I haven't regretted it. It's been worth it to be able to walk to school or to have 3 bus lines go right by my door.

What's it like getting roommates, DHP? I know Chapel Hill is a college town a good deal of students come from different cities, so there must be quite a few ways that students can decrease their cost of living. What are some common routes that students persue when looking for roommates?

I was interviewed in December. It has been long since then, but when I call, I was informed that the admissions committee hasn't had much time to make decisions yet and are still reviewing. So I was advised to wait as more decisions will be notified via mail.

So I was wondering when was everyone else interviewed? Do you think it is a negative sign for me to still wait for the decision letter whether it's for waitlisting, acceptance, or rejection?

So...about the whole apartment/roommate deal. I plan on going up to Chapel Hill this weekend and looking at some places. If there is anyone who would like to join me -- or even think about getting a place together, let me know. I would prefer something close to campus, but I don't mind finding something further away that is on the bus route (and cheaper!) Just PM me if anyone wants to meet up!!

Congratulations to all. I received my acceptance letter today. :D I'm still debating between UNC and UF. I'm not a NC resident so tuition will be a lot cheaper at UF.

Any comments, suggestions?

Congratulations to all. I received my acceptance letter today. :D I'm still debating between UNC and UF. I'm not a NC resident so tuition will be a lot cheaper at UF.

Any comments, suggestions?

Depends on what you want to do and where you want to live. I turned down UK, my in-state-school, for UNC because I want to get out of lexington. You might not live in Gainesville and thus moving to UF might be a good change for you. I think UF is probably on the order of UK as far as rankings are concerned, but UNC is probably slightly more respective due to research monies You'll get a good education wherever you go and you're going to have to spend money regardless. If you want to go into retail and don't mind that nasty humid weather that seems to make your basketball team better than UK, then by all means stay a gator. But if you don't mind getting more loans and living with lots of pine trees, then come to Carolina.

I'm actually in the same situation. I have basically decided on UNC because I really like the program and the area. However, I haven't been to my UF interview, so I will know more after that. I don't know if this helps.

I'm actually in the same situation. I have basically decided on UNC because I really like the program and the area. However, I haven't been to my UF interview, so I will know more after that. I don't know if this helps.

Hey ufgator,
I have my UF interview on March 9th, when is yours..:)

mine's March 9th too. it's at 1:00. what time is yours?

Well, I got so tired of waiting and e-mailed school today. They replied that my acceptance letter is in the mail! I am so happy! I can not wait to meet you all.

:D :D CONGRATULATIONS tashka!!

i got accepted, but i'm not sure if i will be going or not yet.. but i love me some heels!

Congratulations to all the new acceptees :) I look forward to meeting everyone!

Does anyone know if any forms besides the FAFSA are required for financial aid consideration? I know some schools require the CSS profile (when I applied to UNC for undergrad they did). Does the pharmacy school require this too?

I talked to the financial aid office regarding the CSS profile and the lady said that we do not need to fill out a CSS profile for pharmacy school.

Ok, I've got a question related to financial aid, too, especially for those of you coming from out-of-state and paying those big tuition costs like me. On the admissions letter it says you need to get your financial aid straight, for the summer as well, by March 1. Is this just FAFSA? I ask because when I went to the website they have on the letter there is another place you can fill out an application for aid:
http://www.cfnc.org/onlineapps/plusgrad/plusgradapp_start.jsp
This is for graduate/professional students.

I've already done the FAFSA and have an EFC of 0, so I figure they'll give me plenty of money, but with living and ~30K for tuition I suspect I might have to find alternative sources of monies. Anyone else coming from outside NC wondering the same thing?

On the link from the letter, it says they notify us in July about our financial situation-which I suspect means how much money we can get, but wouldn't that be cutting it pretty close towards the time school starts to get more money? What are you guys doing for financial aid? All this financial aid stuff has me wanting to go buy a powerball ticket.

Congrats to those that were accepted.

So I picked up my mom at RDU airport this morning and we drove into Chapel Hill for breakfast. We ate at this adorable place called Carolina Coffee Shop--good omelettes!! Anyway, the point of my post is just to say that I hadn't really explored around Chapel Hill too much before today and I absolutely love it!! It's beautiful and I can't wait to live there :D

Hey does anyone know the first day of class???

Congrats to everyone who's gotten in! I called the office last week and, to put some other minds at ease, they were reviewing a stack of applicants last Wednesday (2/14), including mine, so I'm expecting to hear this week!
To answer some general apartment questions, there are a lot of apartments available in Chapel Hill, it's just a matter of looking around. Some of them are mainly student housing, some of them are more family and older student oriented. Also, Carrboro is on the Chapel Hill bus system and there are apartments available there as well. Speaking of, the bus system in Chapel Hill is wonderful - every apartment complex that I know of is on a bus line that runs straight to UNC- and pretty much every bus line runs that strip down Columbia, right in front of the p-school. If not, it runs to the hospital, which is a really close walk.
If anyone has any Chapel Hill questions, let me know! I've been at school here for 2 years, but I've lived within 20 minutes of here (RTP area) for 10 years. I absolutely love it here, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any Chapel Hill questions!
*Hopefully* joining the UNC class of 2011 this week!!

You guys sent your deposit to the Cashier's Office, not the school of pharmacy, right? I remember the deposit slip thingy had the Cashier's Office address on it, so I sent it there -- but when reading over the acceptance letter, it says something about the deposit card going to the School of Pharmacy...now I am worried :-(

I guess I can call both places and see if they got it?

You guys sent your deposit to the Cashier's Office, not the school of pharmacy, right? I remember the deposit slip thingy had the Cashier's Office address on it, so I sent it there -- but when reading over the acceptance letter, it says something about the deposit card going to the School of Pharmacy...now I am worried :-(

I guess I can call both places and see if they got it?

Hey, don't worry. I sent it to the cashier, and the check was cashed. I followed the info on the card....the money has to go to the cashier, not the pharm school. The letter was kind of ambiguous with that fact..but I just sent all my other paperwork to the school and the money to the cashier. Even though the $ was sent to the cashier, the pharmacy school will know that it's been paid.

I got my acceptance 2 days before the deadline since it had to be forwarded from my old address through snail mail---I sent it UPS overnight to the pharm school (not the cashier). They signed for it so I have proof they received it and I had emailed them letting them know I had sent it UPS and the woman who signed for it emailed me to let me know she received it.

hi guys.... i sent everything to the cashier's office...hahahaha... including the criminal back-ground check info and all papers that were in our acceptance packets and the interview folder... the instructions did suck!!!!!!!!! but i did sent the mail via return receipt service!!!!!!! so i think i shall be good

OOPS, on the deposit card -- when it asked for my PID, I wrote my SSN!! It was the same amount of digits and I had no clue what PID was! I just e-mailed the Cashier's Office about confirmation of my payment and they asked for my PID......I hope I can get this straightened out before Friday!

When were we assigned PIDs? I sure don't remember getting one!

I wasn't assigned a PID before I sent in my acceptance response. I put my SS# in that spot, too. I know that you can go to the unc website and find out what your PID# is now. They should be able to find who you are through both if you can get for your PID# by entering your SS# on the website.

I put my SS# too since I don't currently go to UNC and I sent my check to the cashiers office. Everything is cashed but I haven't called them to follow up on anything...

Well that explains why my check hasn't been cashed yet, because I sent the check with all the other documents via USPS priority mail to the Pharmacy School. I didn't even see anything about a cashier on that letter, which suggests that I am ******ed. Oh well. I also put my SSN as my PIN because it was 9 digits, and I assumed my "personal identification number" would be the same as my SSN. I sent an email to student services asking about the deposit check and surprisingly, I haven't heard anything back.

I called the Cashiers office this afternoon about the whole SSN/PID thing. They said it was fine if you put your SSN in that spot -- they can usually look up the PIDs from that anyway. So there's one less thing for us to worry about :)

yeah, don't worry about the PID thing. I put mine in there b/c I'm already at UNC student, so i know mine. no worries, SSN is fine. :)