• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

UNC (OOS) vs. UCSF (OOS)

dmahbou

Jun 19, 2020
  1. Pre-Dental
    I'm an OOS for both UNC and UCSF. Which do you favor more highly? It's hard to gauge the quality of education and opportunities made available to you based on a single Zoom meeting. For starters, I don't have a preference on which coast I live - I am mainly interested to know what others have heard/seen/experienced personally at these schools in terms of quality of education/training and satisfaction of the current and past students. The difference in tuition costs are pretty negligible not factoring in the cost of living (please correct me if I am wrong). Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone!

macsak

2+ Year Member
    Aug 16, 2018
      I'm an OOS for both UNC and UCSF. Which do you favor more highly? It's hard to gauge the quality of education and opportunities made available to you based on a single Zoom meeting. For starters, I don't have a preference on which coast I live - I am mainly interested to know what others have heard/seen/experienced personally at these schools in terms of quality of education/training and satisfaction of the current and past students. The difference in tuition costs are pretty negligible not factoring in the cost of living (please correct me if I am wrong). Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone!
      UCSF allows you to be in state after one year
      their student services gives you all the tips and tricks to save money while in school

both schools are excellent, amongst the top in the country

it also depends on where you want to practice after school
      being nearer to the school you went to helps with alumni networking

dmahbou

Jun 19, 2020
      1. Pre-Dental
        UCSF allows you to be in state after one year
        their student services gives you all the tips and tricks to save money while in school

both schools are excellent, amongst the top in the country

it also depends on where you want to practice after school
        being nearer to the school you went to helps with alumni networking
        Thank you for your response. From what I learned in the interview, UNC also allows in-state after 1 year. I really like both programs but do not have any plans yet for post graduation so I don't know where I will end up practicing.

macsak

2+ Year Member
        Aug 16, 2018
          Thank you for your response. From what I learned in the interview, UNC also allows in-state after 1 year. I really like both programs but do not have any plans yet for post graduation so I don't know where I will end up practicing.
          did not know that
          excellent choice to have to make
          congrats on your hard work to get to this point

the choice would be big city vs research triangle NC then...
          good luck

About the Ads

zdoq

2+ Year Member
          Aug 14, 2018
          1. Dental Student
            Damn, big congrats on being able to choose between these two schools! UNC and UCSF were my top choices, and while I heard back from UCSF, no word from UNC yet. I think another thing to keep in mind when thinking about cost is the cost of living in each of these cities. Just a quick search on Trulia shows a very stark contrast between rent in SF vs. Chapel Hill.

Another thing in terms of school environment is that UNC has a large undergrad campus attached to its name, while UCSF is a graduate-only campus. What do you think about being in closer proximity to undergrads? Do you really like that "big school environment"? Or are you ready to leave all that and have a more "professional" environment? Minor things, but it may tip your decision towards one or the other!

dmahbou

Jun 19, 2020
            1. Pre-Dental
              Damn, big congrats on being able to choose between these two schools! UNC and UCSF were my top choices, and while I heard back from UCSF, no word from UNC yet. I think another thing to keep in mind when thinking about cost is the cost of living in each of these cities. Just a quick search on Trulia shows a very stark contrast between rent in SF vs. Chapel Hill.

Another thing in terms of school environment is that UNC has a large undergrad campus attached to its name, while UCSF is a graduate-only campus. What do you think about being in closer proximity to undergrads? Do you really like that "big school environment"? Or are you ready to leave all that and have a more "professional" environment? Minor things, but it may tip your decision towards one or the other!
              Thank you so much. That's a great point. I will take that into consideration. I really valued being on a campus for my graduate training so that's definitely a pro for UNC.

Reactions: 1 user

Ivy.ch

OMFS Resident
              2+ Year Member
              May 6, 2018
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Thank you for your reply. They will end up costing the same amount.

I visited Chapel Hill's dental school several times as a pre-dent since I went to school down the road.

Seemed like a great school and it's a BEAUTIFUL place to be. Save San Francisco for when you are cashing big checks as a dentist. Until then, enjoy the pleasures North Carolina has to offer. Especially if you're from North East or California, you have no idea what you're missing in the south.

Reactions: 1 user

dmahbou

Jun 19, 2020
                1. Pre-Dental
                  I visited Chapel Hill's dental school several times as a pre-dent since I went to school down the road.

Seemed like a great school and it's a BEAUTIFUL place to be. Save San Francisco for when you are cashing big checks as a dentist. Until then, enjoy the pleasures North Carolina has to offer. Especially if you're from North East or California, you have no idea what you're missing in the south.
                  Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate any and all input.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.