UNC or UMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncUndergrad1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to UNC for undergrad, so I'm honestly pretty tired of the area and would enjoy a change of scenery, but I dont hear the best things about baltimore either.

I've gotten into both, what are some opinions --- because I'm completely on the fence.

Members don't see this ad.

and for the record, I want to specialize, most likely in OMF surgery.

and for the record, I want to specialize, most likely in OMF surgery.

Your first post had a legit question but now.....You should know that as a predent we are not suppose to even think/dream about any specialization. Gluck now....

Members don't see this ad :)
ya, and that's crap --- every OMF resident i talked to at UNC knew that they were going OMF when they were pre-dent. That's just a dogma pushed on students to try and thin out the crowd and keep as many people going into general dentistry as possible.

For the sake of the question, let's assume I'm da Vinci with my hands, I have a 4.0, and I got a 25 on the DAT.

I don't know much about UNC, but an oral surgeon I shadowed chose to go dental school at UNC out of state over many great schools, because of the OMFS department. He subsequently did his residency there.

they're both solid schools. Are you a Maryland or NC resident? Go to the school in which you have residency established. You'll save a boatload of cash. You'll get into OMFS residency if you bust your balls, not if you go to UNC or UMB.

Best of luck,
Hup

they're both solid schools. Are you a Maryland or NC resident? Go to the school in which you have residency established. You'll save a boatload of cash. You'll get into OMFS residency if you bust your balls, not if you go to UNC or UMB.

Best of luck,
Hup

whatever.......

Im gettin tired of reading Hup's bad advice.

Man go wherever you want, who cares, if you really have to ask people this question on an internet chat room then my god how will you ever make real decisions in life....

whatever.......

Man go wherever you want, who cares, if you really have to ask people this question on an internet chat room then my god how will you ever make real decisions in life....

I make decisions of a pertinent nature by utilizing the resources available, not blindly trusting my judgment alone. I "want" to go to UMB or UNC, hence having it narrowed down to these two. Now, I'm looking for information I don't have that can influence my decision --- such as life in Baltimore. These seemingly trivial things come into play because, as stated, both are great schools. Furthermore, implying that I (or anyone) am making a decision based soley on the information on these forums is ridiculous.

And this is a forum, not a chat room. Maybe you should step out of the 90s there, chief.

whatever.......

What bad advice? Since when is going to the cheapest school bad advice? You're clueless, bro.

Hup

And to the OP...

Life in baltimore is good. It's not my favorite city but I'm enjoying my time here. There are a lot of nice, quaint neighborhoods that are and affordable (look at fed hill, mt vernon, fells point and canton on craigs list to get an idea of what rental prices are like). If you take the same precautions you take in any other city like not walking alone at night then these areas are all very safe.

When I get sick of bmore, dc is 30 minutes away. Baltimore is a bar city, DC is more lounges and clubs. I do both scenes. Annapolis is also a fun place to escape to and provides more of a small town feel. We go tubing in WV when it is warm. Etc, etc......

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Hup

I know how you feel about stayin in the same place because you did undergrad. I had undergrad at X school and i got accepted my school's dental school but i am not even going there because I want to get out of the same old .. thing. hahah

i would go to the other school instead of UNC if i were you. Both schools are great and its great to go around and see whats out there. thats what I will do
g'luck

plus. balitmore bigger city than chapel hill. All i know is that i want to be in the city. no matter how busy it is, the city can offer you a lot more

isn't UMB a state school?? you'll be able to get state tuition no matter where you go.

isn't UMB a state school?? you'll be able to get state tuition no matter where you go.

If the OP isn't from the state of Maryland, he/she wouldn't be able to get in-state tuition. And the state of Maryland is notorious for making it very difficult to gain in-state status (especially if you're a student at the time that you're applying for it).

OP - I have a friend who is a D2 at Maryland, and I've obtained a good amount of info about UMB's program through my own research in the past few months since Maryland was in my top 3 after going to all of my interviews. There are some things you might want to be aware of before making this decision... if you care enough to know, PM me.

if you need to know facts, visit the schools again and talk to their students or look at their websites rather than ask for other people's (most who don't even know what they're talking about) subjective views on an online forum.

there are so many of these x school vs. y school vs. z school threads, i don't get why people keep creating them. its the next 4 years of YOUR life, don't be an idiot. you're "honestly" tired of UNC from first-hand experience? then gtfo? forget what you've heard about UMB, you haven't experienced it for yourself. plus you can specialize from any school.

isn't that hard, champ.

if you need to know facts, visit the schools again and talk to their students or look at their websites rather than ask for other people's (most who don't even know what they're talking about) subjective views on an online forum.

there are so many of these x school vs. y school vs. z school threads, i don't get why people keep creating them. its the next 4 years of YOUR life, don't be an idiot. you're "honestly" tired of UNC from first-hand experience? then gtfo? forget what you've heard about UMB, you haven't experienced it for yourself. plus you can specialize from any school.

isn't that hard, champ.

It's not as simple as GTFO. A lot of people claim going to a grad school is like going to a completely different school --- different bars, different network, ect. Furthermore, I'm in state for UNC, so it's like a 100k difference - so again, a lot more complicated than "you're bored ,leave." I need to convince myself, and hence I'm looking at other resources. Im visiting maryland again in January, but you can't honestly expect 2-3 nights in a city can give you a real feel for it. People's opinions are valuable, and I've gotten some great messages - especially from someone else who went to UNC undergrad. But again, my dilemma is whether or not I think, in the end, the financial difference is justified.

You're exactly right, it is my LIFE. Hence it's a decision worth giving substantial thought, douche.

ya, HENCE!!!

sorry I had to.. Just watched the movie House Bunny, which I am now dumber for watching.