UNC What are the advantages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GENERAL TSO

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at UNC and was very unhappy.

Staff were great but they were very upfront in that the incoming classes are extremely competitive and that they have a sizable dropout rate in the first year. This really upset me as this WAS my first choice. The school campus was awesome and the staff as well but I have to admit, when I went on the tour and met some of the students they were very snobby and stuck up and I really didnt see myself as being able to become friends with any of them. As a matter of fact I would probably have to smack them around if they acted that way with me once accepted.

Did anyone else experience this?

Why would I want to enter a program like this? I mean, I want to go somewhere that works with the students and where the students work together. I dont want to have to keep looking over my shoulder worrying about this ridiculous competitive nature.

I just couldnt believe how those people were there. The school was not all that.

Very poor.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I had pretty much the exact opposite experience. During my interview session, I met a lot of extremely friendly, very informative students especially from the 1st and 2nd year classes. In fact, I have kept in touch with several of them throughout the application cycle. Although I didn't get in this cycle, I most definitely will reapply with UNC being my 1st choice.

GENERAL TSO said:
I interviewed at UNC and was very unhappy.

Staff were great but they were very upfront in that the incoming classes are extremely competitive and that they have a sizable dropout rate in the first year. This really upset me as this WAS my first choice. The school campus was awesome and the staff as well but I have to admit, when I went on the tour and met some of the students they were very snobby and stuck up and I really didnt see myself as being able to become friends with any of them. As a matter of fact I would probably have to smack them around if they acted that way with me once accepted.

Did anyone else experience this?

Why would I want to enter a program like this? I mean, I want to go somewhere that works with the students and where the students work together. I dont want to have to keep looking over my shoulder worrying about this ridiculous competitive nature.

I just couldnt believe how those people were there. The school was not all that.

Very poor.

packbacker said:
Wow, I had pretty much the exact opposite experience. During my interview session, I met a lot of extremely friendly, very informative students especially from the 1st and 2nd year classes. In fact, I have kept in touch with several of them throughout the application cycle. Although I didn't get in this cycle, I most definitely will reapply with UNC being my 1st choice.

I agree. I found the faculty to be extremely kind and the interviewees to be nice people as well. I also got the impression that students were fairly supportive of one another, though I will ask current students for their impressions. Any information any of you have would be great!

Of course, everyone will have a different impression of a school. Perhaps this is simply not the school for you. That doesn't say anything in particular about the school or you. Perhaps you just need to look into other places. Good luck wherever you decide to matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
packbacker said:

A friend of my family went there so I called him and he seemed to support my feelings. He said that the first year is extremely competitive and to not expect help from fellow students as everyone is competing to get to yr 2. He said from there things are better. He also said that the program has its problems and that its very unorganized. He said that he worked really hard and because of the schools poor scheduling was forced to stay late on the friday before graduation because the school said he had one more root canal to do before he could graduate.
Said he was so pissed that he found a reason to do a root canal on the next person in the clinic.... figures.

So maybe you guys need to call someone thats went there and get their expectations.

I dont see why I wouldnt be a perfect fit for any school as my grades are high, my DAT was off the charts and I have a masters degree, etc.

Who knows. I think they were just snobs, end of story.

I am currently a 1st year student at UNC. I am sorry you didn't get in...I have no idea why and I just wanted to addess how this year's class gets along. I think we get along very well. I don't think it is that competitive. It is only as competetive as you want it to be. I think everyone helps each other out. I was actually surprised at how supportive everyone is of each other. Everyone tries to do their best but everyone tries to help their classmates do their best as well. Once again, I am sorry you didn't get in, and sorry you felt that we were snobs when you visited. It wasn't intentional at all.

I am a first year at UNC as well, and I think our class gets along extremely well--maybe too well :love: :love: :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh: J/K

Have a nice break Adam.

Damn COD exam grade--grading scale is a bummer :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

adamlc18 said:
I am currently a 1st year student at UNC. I am sorry you didn't get in...I have no idea why and I just wanted to addess how this year's class gets along. I think we get along very well. I don't think it is that competitive. It is only as competetive as you want it to be. I think everyone helps each other out. I was actually surprised at how supportive everyone is of each other. Everyone tries to do their best but everyone tries to help their classmates do their best as well. Once again, I am sorry you didn't get in, and sorry you felt that we were snobs when you visited. It wasn't intentional at all.

dude, read back what you just wrote to me and tell me if that sounds snobby?

THANK YOU for proving my point for everyone on this forum to read.

:laugh:

GENERAL TSO said:
dude, read back what you just wrote to me and tell me if that sounds snobby?

THANK YOU for proving my point for everyone on this forum to read.

:laugh:

What a terrible interpretation of Adam's post. How did you do on reading comprehension?

rsweeney said:
I am a first year at UNC as well, and I think our class gets along extremely well--maybe too well :love: :love: :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh: J/K

Have a nice break Adam.

Damn COD exam grade--grading scale is a bummer :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Yea, 92 is a B and 84 a C??? :eek: Totally sucks...oh well. Have a good break too.

rsweeney said:
What a terrible interpretation of Adam's post. How did you do on reading comprehension?

I got a 24 and 23 pat.

How did you do?

And listen, I did get in to UNC even with being an out-of-state applicant. I turned them down to go to my state school which is cheaper.

I wanted to go to unc as I have always loved the carolinas. Just was not impressed with the people there.

Another UNC first year dental student here. Absolutely fantastic school and the first year class might be the most friendly people I have ever met in my life. There are some who are very hard workers, but never competitve to the extent of not wanting to help other students out if asked. Before every test there are always a few people who send out their condensed notes/study guides. We also have old tests that everyone shares with each other and posts on the class website. I feel comfortable asking anyone in my class to clarify a point or to look at their notes. In the preclinic lab, the people around me always answer my questions and come over to give me some tips on where to go with a prep.

Another great thing is that the classes ahead of us always are taking interest in what we are doing and giving us tips for the various classes/professors. It always seems that the 2nd years are asking us, "how was Hadler's test today?" or something similar. I certainly don't know their daily schedules so it always amazes me how they know what we are up to.

I'm sorry that general tso had a bad experience. Let me assure anyone condsidering UNC that the atmosphere is friendly and helpful. I can't speak for the makeup of the class of 2009, that's up to them. Our class did a great job of setting a friendly tone very early on and has kept up that atmosphere.

For the record, there is almost no dropout rate after the first year (I don't think that anyone from our class is in danger, last year I think there were two who had to remediate some classes with us). The school does have occasional organizational issues, but nothing that is going to keep you from graduating on time. In fact, many students are done with their requirements by fall of their senior year, allowing time for research, electives, and more clinic experiences in fields that interest them.

jaap said:
Another UNC first year dental student here. Absolutely fantastic school and the first year class might be the most friendly people I have ever met in my life. There are some who are very hard workers, but never competitve to the extent of not wanting to help other students out if asked. Before every test there are always a few people who send out their condensed notes/study guides. We also have old tests that everyone shares with each other and posts on the class website. I feel comfortable asking anyone in my class to clarify a point or to look at their notes. In the preclinic lab, the people around me always answer my questions and come over to give me some tips on where to go with a prep.

Another great thing is that the classes ahead of us always are taking interest in what we are doing and giving us tips for the various classes/professors. It always seems that the 2nd years are asking us, "how was Hadler's test today?" or something similar. I certainly don't know their daily schedules so it always amazes me how they know what we are up to.

I'm sorry that general tso had a bad experience. Let me assure anyone condsidering UNC that the atmosphere is friendly and helpful. I can't speak for the makeup of the class of 2009, that's up to them. Our class did a great job of setting a friendly tone very early on and has kept up that atmosphere.

For the record, there is almost no dropout rate after the first year (I don't think that anyone from our class is in danger, last year I think there were two who had to remediate some classes with us). The school does have occasional organizational issues, but nothing that is going to keep you from graduating on time. In fact, many students are done with their requirements by fall of their senior year, allowing time for research, electives, and more clinic experiences in fields that interest them.

I have yet to figure our your true identity Jaap. The investigation continues.

rsweeney said:
I have yet to figure our your true identity Jaap. The investigation continues.

LOL...good luck with that. I haven't seen this many classmates posting in a couple of months. Look at us come out of the woodwork once spring break starts! :laugh:

First of all, I'm wondering who told you they had a sizable dropout rate. I certainly heard nothing during any of the presentations or interviews. Second, I admit I had some apprehensions about the academic climate of the school, largely self-inflicted, due to the excellent reputation of the program and its dentists. But once I interviewed there I was relieved at how friendly everyone was. Face it, wherever you go, you will find these competitive people. Perhaps you were unfortunate enough to find one or more of these during your interview day. These interview days are whirlwind affairs. You are trying to make a decision which will effect the next 4+ years of your life based on one day's experience. It is a daunting task. Finally, your quote, "I dont see why I wouldnt be a perfect fit for any school as my grades are high, my DAT was off the charts and I have a masters degree, etc." It's really unfair of you to accuse people of snobbery when you seem to have a bit of a sense of entitlement yourself. And just because you have great numbers does not mean that you will get along with every person you ever meet in dental school.

I didnt care too much for the school either. The campus was great. Just seemed like any other overpriced out of state school.

Thats my 2 cents.