Unc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y2janitor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on this program?

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up cancelling my interview there for a few reasons; everyone absolutely RAVES about the place, and rumor is residents are very happy.

I would ask, if you haven't already, why they have a two year accredidation cycle from ACGME.

dc

Great program. I have a friend there and he loves it. Resident friendly, great teaching, great attendings. They have good hours and are treated well. I know they have peds and pain fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
their website says they work avg of 68 hours a week. Seems like more than most programs I've seen.

their website says they work avg of 68 hours a week. Seems like more than most programs I've seen.
My average (I just did it out of GMEone for the weeks that weren't holidays, vacation, or off-service) is 57/week as a CA-1. There is a program in place where if you stay "late" when you're not on call, you earn a day off for every 10 cumulative hours of "late" time. I haven't earned one yet this year.

I ended up cancelling my interview there for a few reasons; everyone absolutely RAVES about the place, and rumor is residents are very happy.

I would ask, if you haven't already, why they have a two year accredidation cycle from ACGME.

dc

did you?

Did I....? Ask about the two year cycle? Nope.

I'll ask you, since you're there. Why only two years?

Did I....? Ask about the two year cycle? Nope.

I'll ask you, since you're there. Why only two years?

- interim chair at the time of the review (new chair started 11/08)
- not enough anesthesia faculty attending in critical care (improved since then and continues to be addressed, I don't have the latest on this)
- zero tolerance for intern work hours reported "honestly" - now actively regulated by program director, chiefs, and chiefs from other departments.

nothing but good reviews for the actual clinical training.

I knew these things when I interviewed and still ranked it 1 above several "top tier" programs up the east coast. the cases are hard, the training is solid, there's flexibility, and the people (attendings and residents) are second to none. some days suck no matter where you are, but knowing that I would like who I worked with and they would be there for me no matter what actually ended up meaning a lot to me. I'd do it again.

Thanks!

Like I said, EVERYONE I've ever talked to has said great things about the place.

dc

thanks for your input. Is there any trouble getting jobs/fellowships?

thanks for your input. Is there any trouble getting jobs/fellowships?

not in the past, and I can tell you from what I know of this year's CA-3s that it definitely doesn't seem to be a problem in the future. mix of good private practice gigs and fellowships. ask for the list of fellowships at your interview.

this program friendly to img's at all? always liked them but not sure how exclusive they are.....

During my interview, i asked about the 2 year status, and the PD layed it all out. He didn't hold anything back, including the fact that they were addressing any and all shortcomings.

Definitely an upbeat family type atmosphere. Although my interview with the new chair was a bit akward and not the most pleasant. I'm not sure his new effect on the program...and actually led to a drop in my own ranklist for that reason rather than the 2 year deal...

the interview day was a cool experience too...nice hotel, interesting tour, starbucks.