What Happened to Uncle MIke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

He was a rising star on You Tube. He got dismissed from his anesthesia residency. I truly feel sorry for the guy. Anyone know what happened to him? I wish him the very best in Family Practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know nothing of uncle Mike except that he must have not sucked the right metaphorical penises. Thats how residency works. (And life)

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
It is amazing how difficult it is to dismiss a resident. I can think of three people who were just unfit for our field who managed to muddle through.

Reactions: 4 users
I know nothing of uncle Mike except that he must have not sucked the right metaphorical penises. Thats how residency works. (And life)
Mike had many You Tube videos about CRNA school vs Med School and Residency. He was dismissed from his anesthesia residency prior to ever starting it. Mike did a preliminary PGY-1 surgery year then got fired from residency. He did not MATCH at all the following year and worked as a cath lab nurse. Then, a year later he matched into a FP program (small one) in Colorado. I assume Mike said some "inappropriate" comments or texts about a female nurse and was fired. This is worth discussing here so young Residents don't maker the same career ending mistake Mike did recently.

Back in my day things were different in that you got fired for drug abuse/addiction not inappropriate comments. If inappropriate comments were a reason for being fired there would be no attendings at my hospital.

Reactions: 6 users

I assume most Residency programs are now "woke" and will readily dismiss White males if they cross the line at all? Should Med Students be wary of super "woke" programs if they are White males?

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

I assume most Residency programs are now "woke" and will readily dismiss White males if they cross the line at all? Should Med Students be wary of super "woke" programs if they are White males?

has nothing to do with white male. The dude sounds like he has a problem with authority. Want to get through medical training? Here’s how:

1. Do what’s asked of you with regard to work.
2. shut up. Seriously. Just shut up and work.
3. Rinse. Repeat.

that’s it. Success will ensue. If mike wants to get through his family med residency he needs to stay off social media. I doubt he will.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users

Uncle Mike strikes me as someone who might have trouble with this part. In my experience, people who are “interesting enough” on social media to build a following tend to be overbearing in real life.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Uncle Mike strikes me as someone who might have trouble with this part. In my experience, people who are “interesting enough” on social media to build a following tend to be overbearing in real life.

I can assure you I couldn’t have a beer with almost any of them.

Reactions: 6 users
has nothing to do with white male. The dude sounds like he has a problem with authority. Want to get through medical training? Here’s how:

3. Rinse. Repeat.

that’s it. Success will ensue. If mike wants to get through his family med residency he needs to stay off social media. I doubt he will.

That might be true, but maybe there is a problem with the training system. This isn't anything about being woke, or being white male. Why shouldn't someone be able to ask questions why things are done a certain way. Why should residents just always keep their head down and nod their head yes to whatever they are ordered to do? If what he said in the video is true I think he was shafted by a malignant program. Of course that is based on his point of view.

That might be true, but maybe there is a problem with the training system. This isn't anything about being woke, or being white male. Why shouldn't someone be able to ask questions why things are done a certain way. Why should residents just always keep their head down and nod their head yes to whatever they are ordered to do? If what he said in the video is true I think he was shafted by a malignant program. Of course that is based on his point of view.
I believe that there is likely more to this story than what “meets the eye“.
I also disagree that this is about dismissing white males only.
For years I have heard inappropriate comments out of all sorts of people, sometimes even myself.
What I have seen is that the people who consistently get away with this type of stuff are protected, usually because they bring lots of revenue to a hospital, or because they are best buddies with the CEO, etc. etc. I have seen numerous examples where physicians objected to unethical and possibly criminal behavior, and those people were the ones who paid the price.
The oldest motivator in history still applies, and that is money. In many places, money trumps everything else.

Reactions: 5 users
For years I have heard inappropriate comments out of all sorts of people, sometimes even myself.
What I have seen is that the people who consistently get away with this type of stuff are protected, usually because they bring lots of revenue to a hospital, or because they are best buddies with the CEO, etc. etc. I have seen numerous examples where physicians objected to unethical and possibly criminal behavior, and those people were the ones who paid the price.
The oldest motivator in history still applies, and that is money. In many places, money trumps everything else.

FWIW OHSU anesthesiology recently dismissed a black male “TikTok Star”.

Reactions: 1 users

In the video he said he was “at the wrong place at the wrong time” and that he learned from it. Sounds like he accepts at least some responsibility for what happened.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes. Money talks. Especially true when hospitals become more corporate and run by CEOs paid millions who have no clinical background. Hospitals become ritzy glitzy and full of comforts. Many hospitals have become shopping malls and hotels that also happen to do some medicine.

Often it’s a very junior person questioning a far more senior person. And it involves work asked of that junior person.

I agree there’s a problem with the training system. There’s a problem, a huge one, with American healthcare. But the charge must be led by attendings, not interns. Unfortunately by the time we are attendings most of us just want to keep our heads down, make our money, and get out. I know that’s my story.

From a more recent video of his [see below]: "...for me I remember a time where there was a difference between joking around and being a racist. I remember a time where there was a difference between, you know, flirting and, you know, aggravated sexual harassment. Those lines are blurred now for whatever reason; and, I'm not going to get into why or who cares. It doesn't matter."

Yep, there is more to the story than just his side of things.

self promoter...really amused by the things he says....stating the obvious as if it's some new insight....comes across as a 'climber'....has problems...weird....

I’ve yet to see this supposed overcorrection of wokeness. Women in residency continue to have to tolerate lame “jokes” from surgeons/attendings/nurses/patients/etc

Programs aren’t cutting down their own workforce for singular off the cuff jokes. Especially not the surgery interns who do all that lovely scut.

I stopped watching when he blamed his firing on “not vibing” with the program. Would bet money that something substantial occurred. But I’m sure he’ll be a competent physician.

What was his handle, and was he inappropriate posting on sdn?
I'm trying to find it. He was open about being an crna to MD and made a thread about being accused by HR etc. He even linked some of his videos over the years. I couldn't recall the character of his posts. I just distinctly remember this guy.

What was his handle, and was he inappropriate posting on sdn?
flightnurse2MD

No. Best I can tell, and I get a chuckle out of this, he got a warning once years ago (by a non-anesthesia mod in another subforum) because he used a naughty word when enthusiastically encouraging a CRNA who was thinking of going to medical school. The sort of comment that would've garnered 22 'likes' here in the first day.

Looks like he hasn't been around in a while, last post Feb 2020.

No idea what happened to him. I'm going to bet that the social media presence was not a net positive for him though. I'm genuinely baffled by the people who chronicle their lives and opinions for the public on YouTube. It's risky enough on text forums like this behind semi-anonymous pseudonyms.

Reactions: 10 users
flightnurse2MD

No. Best I can tell, and I get a chuckle out of this, he got a warning once years ago (by a non-anesthesia mod in another subforum) because he used a naughty word when enthusiastically encouraging a CRNA who was thinking of going to medical school. The sort of comment that would've garnered 22 'likes' here in the first day.

No idea what happened to him. I'm going to bet that the social media presence was not a net positive for him though. I'm genuinely baffled by the people who chronicle their lives and opinions for the public on YouTube. It's risky enough on text forums like this behind semi-anonymous pseudonyms.
You beat me by a minute. Good memory!

Back in my day things were different in that you got fired for drug abuse/addiction not inappropriate comments. If inappropriate comments were a reason for being fired there would be no attendings at my hospital.
Well -

Surgeons used to be able to throw instruments around and scream at scrub techs too. That douchebags once got away with being douchebags isn't a defense for modern day douchebaggery. Nothing to do with "wokeness" ...

Somehow I get through the day without groping or hitting on chicks in the OR. Somehow.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 12 users
Well -

Surgeons used to be able to throw instruments around and scream at scrub techs too. That douchebags once got away with being douchebags isn't a defense for modern day douchebaggery. Nothing to do with "wokeness" ...

Somehow I get through the day without groping or hitting on chicks in the OR. Somehow.

I gotta say some days it is harder than others

LMFTFY

In MOST places, money trumps everything else.

3. Rinse. Repeat.

This. Residency is, by its very nature, a temporary job. You are there for the certificate. That’s it. Just shut up and get through it…

Reactions: 2 users
self promoter...really amused by the things he says....stating the obvious as if it's some new insight....comes across as a 'climber'....has problems...weird....

His persona is strikingly similar to the overcompensating militant CRNAs on YouTube, except he’s the doctor version.

Last edited:
  • Haha
His persona is strikingly similar to the overcompensating militant CRNAs on YouTube, except he’s the doctor version.

So he was dismissed from CRNA school, then went to medical school and was dismissed from his intern year of residency. I guess there js a recurring theme here.

• Haha
You know what? Yeah! I want after all these "woke" residencies dismissing all these black folks *sarcasm*
B0B5401F-BA73-4AE1-87BF-B6C5597DA208.jpeg

Also, seems hard to be a Hispanic OB/Gyn resident too

• Wow
  • Haha
I'm genuinely baffled by the people who chronicle their lives and opinions for the public on YouTube. It's risky enough on text forums like this behind semi-anonymous pseudonyms.
I’m not terribly surprised honestly. It’s the new hustle. A certain amount of YouTube followers and a check star in Twitter and suddenly you don’t have to get up and go to “work” anymore. If you play the social media game super correct, you may even get to go 8 rounds with Floyd Mayweather which is a paycheck in itself. The real surprise is the amount of people who follow them. The “influencer” thing is just another hustle and I can’t 100% be mad at that.

flightnurse2MD

So I was confused by the whole thing until I spent some time with a bunch of preteens. They have the tv showing one youtube channel while their ipads are tuned to another youtube channel. When they hang out with one another they are sitting in the same room watching different youtubes together or videochatting one another while watching youtube. I didn't even have a cell phone until I was in high school...

I’m not terribly surprised honestly. It’s the new hustle. A certain amount of YouTube followers and a check star in Twitter and suddenly you don’t have to get up and go to “work” anymore. If you play the social media game super correct, you may even get to go 8 rounds with Floyd Mayweather which is a paycheck in itself. The real surprise is the amount of people who follow them. The “influencer” thing is just another hustle and I can’t 100% be mad at that.
It's weird crap. Close friend of mine does it with his family, making 6 figures chronicling their lives and doing marketing deals.

They got into it because his wife's sister did it first with her husband, and they make 7 figures yearly from it (Been going >8 years too). They have capitalized in it by all the siblings getting involved and sending followers to each other's channels, they made a family cookbook that sold out almost immediately, they've even made a "store" where they're selling clothes and other stuff.

It's weird crap. Close friend of mine does it with his family, making 6 figures chronicling their lives and doing marketing deals.

They got into it because his wife's sister did it first with her husband, and they make 7 figures yearly from it (Been going >8 years too). They have capitalized in it by all the siblings getting involved and sending followers to each other's channels, they made a family cookbook that sold out almost immediately, they've even made a "store" where they're selling clothes and other stuff.
Roughly how many followers are we talking about for each of these parties to generate that revenue?

Roughly how many followers are we talking about for each of these parties to generate that revenue?

We also have a close friend who’s 20yo son makes funny videos/light pranks. He has 8.7mil TikTok followers and 430,000 on YouTube. Most of them are tween girls. He made about $300k last year. $8k/mo is from 1 sponsor who’s product he features on half his videos.

I think once you get into the 100ks and definitely up to the millions then you're about to start generating real money. My saying they don't have to "go to work" anymore was a bit tongue-in-cheek because the successful content creators are posting well produced content at least once a week and maybe even twice a week so it is actual "work", just not taking call and waking up a 3am change an epidural bag work.

I always wondered what the revenue vs subscriber curve was. Obviously it takes work to make good videos if they aren't aimed at 9 year olds so I recognize the work involved. I have a neighbor that has about 80k subscribers and wondered how good that was. We aren't close so I wouldn't ask him.

My close friends have ~215K. A few years ago just the YouTube ads were bringing them like $2-3K/month, but it's the marketing deals that make you a lot of money. Also, all-inclusive paid for tropical vacations, tons of free stuff that companies want them to advertise. They'll make $2-5K just for doing a few Instagram posts and mentioning a product in one YouTube video. They definitely try to be pretty selective about companies they'll work with and products they'll endorse.

Companies will send them a product and say "please review this" without a contract in place so they get free crap even if they don't agree to market it. They just remodeled their house completely and one company replaced all their carpet for free. Another company provided all supplies for some parts of the remodel and they just had to pay for the labor. So the compensation is not always as easy to measure as just how many $$$ entering the bank account.

The siblings bringing in millions have millions of subscribers.

Majority of their followers are teen and preteen girls from all over the world, plus a bunch of SAHMs and other small vloggers who are just hoping for a mention or some sort of notoriety so they can 'hit it big.'

It's a weird world.

Last edited:
I always wondered what the revenue vs subscriber curve was. Obviously it takes work to make good videos if they aren't aimed at 9 year olds so I recognize the work involved. I have a neighbor that has about 80k subscribers and wondered how good that was. We aren't close so I wouldn't ask him.
80K is pretty good, probably still needs a day job, but pretty good. The secret is doing something people are interested in. There's a guy in SoCal who just does gardening videos (Epic Gardening), he wrote a book, but he has a 1.35 million followers just getting gardening tips. I got trapped on his channel one weekend on call just because I wanted tips to grow lavender (poor soil, lots of sun, lots of drainage in the soil, dont over water btw). That dude ended up buying a house in SoCal so he's doing alright. It's not a mansion but still.

80K is pretty good, probably still needs a day job, but pretty good. The secret is doing something people are interested in. There's a guy in SoCal who just does gardening videos (Epic Gardening), he wrote a book, but he has a 1.35 million followers just getting gardening tips. I got trapped on his channel one weekend on call just because I wanted tips to grow lavender (poor soil, lots of sun, lots of drainage in the soil, dont over water btw). That dude ended up buying a house in SoCal so he's doing alright. It's not a mansion but still.
Imagine someone like Jeff Cavaliere, who started the fitness channel Athlean-x. I think he has like 9 million subscribers.

My close friends have ~215K. A few years ago just the YouTube ads was bringing them like $2-3K/month, but it's the marketing deals that make you a lot of money. Also, all-inclusive paid for vacations, tons of free stuff that companies want them to advertise. They'll make $2-5K just for doing a few Instagram posts and mentioning a product in one YouTube video.

The siblings bringing in millions have millions of subscribers.
Marques Brownlee is another one that fascinates me. "I'm just going to talk about tech gadgets for 10 mins" and have over 3 million followers. Again, as Jay-Z said it best, can't knock the hustle.

Marques Brownlee is another one that fascinates me. "I'm just going to talk about tech gadgets for 10 mins" and have over 3 million followers. Again, as Jay-Z said it best, can't knock the hustle.
Just last week I was watching this guy's videos on You Tube. He just reviewed a brand new Tesla S. He is very good and I liked his style. Almost 6 million views. But, he is really good!

Just last week I was watching this guy's videos on You Tube. He just reviewed a brand new Tesla S. He is very good and I liked his style. Almost 6 million views. But, he is really good!

He is really good. I found him when I was researching a drone or something but if it's tech related he's on it.

He does produce some dang good content. Very detailed and thorough reviews.

YouTube and Instagram influencing may get you a nice Prius. OnlyFans will get you the Lambo.

• Haha
YouTube and Instagram influencing may get you a nice Prius. OnlyFans will get you the Lambo.
What funny is that you can start an OnlyFans for just about anything be we in the streets know what site is really about lol