Unc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorns

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How big of a deal is the 2 year accreditation?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't let it affect your decision. When I was applying I remember thinking of the length of accreditation as an objective indicator of a program's quality...having little else to go on at times. Now that I'm on the other side and been involved in an ACGME site review, I can assure you that accreditation is more about shmoozing the ACGME rather than an actual quality check (sadly).

I am of course biased, but I can't imagine having trained anywhere else. I love UNC!

There are so many solid programs with 5 yr accreditations, why would anyone gamble on a 2 yr limit?

UNC does have a great rep and I think it's a great place to train, but with the ups/downs over the past 5 yrs, interim chairs, then new chairs, etc...I think it's enough to wonder what has been going on there.

CJ

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC had a 2-year cert when I interviewed, and my med program had a fellow from there. (Note: this was all 3 years ago) From my visit, and the info i got from the fellow, the only real downside was the workload. Everyone really liked the overall attitude and interaction between faculty and residents, and felt it was a very supportive place, wherever you wanted to go.

I enjoyed the visit, liked the faculty. Ultimately, I ranked it lower in my top 10, and wound up at a place with great name recognition, but ultimately probably an even more rigorous workload.

UNC seemed solid. But the fact that they have yet another 2-year rating......it would give me pause
That being said, I also saw my home med-school prog get a drop from a 4 to a 3 yr rating for total BS, which was all based on politics. So...A 2 year rating may, or may not, be indicative of an issue. You need real opinions from current UNC residents, given anonymously, both those that have totally bought in to the program, and the malcontents (if there are any), to find the truth in the middle.

I'm glad this was brought up...I love UNC but the 2 year thing is a bit scary.

Does anyone know why they got a 2 year accreditation? And even why they got a 2 year accreditation the last cycle too?

I was under the impression it had to do with intern year hours...

You need real opinions from current UNC residents, given anonymously, both those that have totally bought in to the program, and the malcontents (if there are any), to find the truth in the middle.

You are absolutely right... however, I think you'll have a hard time finding many (any?) malcontents at UNC. I feel very lucky to be a resident here. We have such a fun, intelligent, hard-working group of residents and have fantastic support from our faculty. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. :)

Could anyone send me the link to see the accreditation lengths of programs? I searched on the ACGME website, but it seems to only list program length, and not cycle length.

Thanks!

I'm here to say that our intern year is STRONG. We do almost half the year in low-stress, high acuity ICUs that prepare us well for clinical anesthesia training. We had a problem when I was an intern with one of the surgical ward and internal medicine months in terms of hours. That surgical month was scrapped and the medicine services have been completely revamped. You'll not violate any hours your intern year. If I thought it was a really great year when I did it, I have no doubt that it surely is now.

The other citation that we received was for incorrect logging of resident cases on the ACGME website. Many had not recorded the case types of "trauma" or "burns" in the ACGME system, and so it looks as though some have shortfalls in those areas. This, even though we are one of the/if not 'the' biggest burn center in the Southeast and get plenty of trauma.

These citations came on the heels (no pun intended) of a 2 year accreditation cycle and I'm speculating gave them reason to keep us on a shorter cycle. I believe it to be completely unwarranted and frankly unguided, in my opinion. Amazingly unguided.

Unfortunately, this may have been what hurt them this year, 5/10 categorical.

Unfortunately, this may have been what hurt them this year, 5/10 categorical.

yeah, they got owned this year. Really the only decent program in a good location not to fill

yeah, they got owned this year. Really the only decent program in a good location not to fill

If I recall, UVA didn't fully match last year and that program has a pretty good reputation, so I'm not sure what exactly not matching says about a program (program didn't rank enough students, etc...)

I was a med student there and I definitely liked the program. A little bit weak in cardiac and not a huge research program, but otherwise nothing that particularly worried me. I ended up ranking it #2, which was probably higher than I should have based on the reputation of some of the other programs I interviewed at, but it also goes to show you that I wasn't concerned about the quality of training I would have received, either.

UNC probably interviewed all stud applicants, may/may not have ranked everyone... and all these stud applicants ranked other programs higher and matched... hence, they didnt fill.

Last edited:
UNC probably interviewed all stud applicants, may/may not have ranked everyone... and all these stud applicants ranked other programs higher and matched... hence, they didnt fill.

I suspect some of the both.

For the record, I ranked UNC higher than the program I matched to.

:shrug: