Apr 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm currently a junior at UCF. I completed a year of film my sophomore year, only to change majors to Molecular and Microbiology. However, I have taken a bunch of the required sciences (Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2) but basically no Microbio courses (as a result, I will need about 2 1/2 years for this particular degree). If I switched back to film, I would have a little over a year for a degree, plus I could focus harder on the sciences. I was told that I can still get a film degree and with the proper science/math classes, I can still pursue dentistry. So.... I am asking everybody... Would switching back to film cause me to be overlooked in dental school? I would appreciate advice! Thanks

SuperTank

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
Status
Dental Student
I'm currently a junior at UCF. I completed a year of film my sophomore year, only to change majors to Molecular and Microbiology. However, I have taken a bunch of the required sciences (Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2) but basically no Microbio courses (as a result, I will need about 2 1/2 years for this particular degree). If I switched back to film, I would have a little over a year for a degree, plus I could focus harder on the sciences. I was told that I can still get a film degree and with the proper science/math classes, I can still pursue dentistry. So.... I am asking everybody... Would switching back to film cause me to be overlooked in dental school? I would appreciate advice! Thanks
Your area of study is irrelevant to your competitiveness for a spot in dental school. There are certain required courses like gen chem, physics, o-chem, microbiology, etc. I don't think there are many schools with math pre-reqs (I didn't take a single math class in college). As long as you fulfill these requirements, and maintain a good GPA in those classes, you'll be fine with whatever major interests you.