Undecided Sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Van Chowder

Go big or go home.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now, I am an undecided sophomore, but am incredably interested in a Neurobiology and physiology major my school offers, however I am even more into actually having a life ( with that said, I hate humanities classes with every inch of me, you cant argue with the teachers taht you're right!! unless its history) What do yall think? Is being a science major so rigorous that while getting excellent grades having much of a social life is out of the question?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Van Chowder,

That is not an easy question. It depends on many factors, but primarily the school that you attend and your own ability to learn. I can't speak to the latter, but in terms of GPA trends, have a look at the link another member posted:

http://gradeinflation.com/

Depending on the difficulty of your institution you may find it difficult to maintain good grades if you are having a highly active social life. Worse, if your institution does inflate grades you may feel as though you are maintaing a good GPA while you're actually not accruing enough knowledge for the MCAT.

The best advice I can give to you is to select a major that you enjoy. Chances are that you will study willingly for tests and that will improve your grades and will make you strong in that particular area.

I'm also a soph. and can understand how it'd be difficult to choose what major you want to pursue. I'm a double major of bio and chem and have a strong interest in the sciences so I do very well and still have a life. I just make sure I know the info and do my homework before I go out with friends. Many others in my class though, do not do well at all and spend a lot of time studying. As Naijaba says, it really is a good idea to pick the major you enjoy the best. You'll be much more engaged in your studies and actually will enjoy class. ;)

As of right now, I am an undecided sophomore, but am incredably interested in a Neurobiology and physiology major my school offers, however I am even more into actually having a life ( with that said, I hate humanities classes with every inch of me, you cant argue with the teachers taht you're right!! unless its history) What do yall think? Is being a science major so rigorous that while getting excellent grades having much of a social life is out of the question?

I've also been contemplating my major as I don't have to declare it officially until next year. While I'm more inclined towards Biology, I was also thinking about Brain and Cognitive sciences (you should check if your school has this - it's almost in between psychology and neurobiology).

Anyways, from what friends that are science majors have told me, it's not too hard. Also, I'm taking 3 science courses this semester (with a humanities). While it's a lot of work, I don't think it's unmanageable. You just need to keep up with work and stay on schedule, then you can have a social life.