Under 3.0 Club...Confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littoblonde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend has wanted to be a doctor for a long time and his cumulative GPA was 2.25 from Georgia Tech in Industrial engineering, for those "Core Science" GPA he re-took them all and has a 3.75 in those and got a 38 on the MCAT, he has all the standard "I shadowed a doctor...bah bah" stuff.

He applied to a few DO schools and I am just wondering if despite him trying so hard if his low Undergraduate degree killed his chance to begin with...he has been wanting this for so long...

First post, so sorry if I chose the wrong posting section and stuff.

If it matters...the 3.75 is from Biology I, II, Chemistry I, Organic I, II, Physics I, II, Anatomy , Physiology , Biochemistry and was done at University of Florida.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is his current GPA and sGPA considering all undergraduate institutions attended?

His BCPM GPA is great, as is his MCAT. However, he'd better think hard and come up with a good reason/explanation for his 2.25...also, in this sort of situation the "shadowed a doctor...blah blah" sort of thing can make a huge difference. he needs to use his EC's and life experience to create a presentation of himself for adcoms that distinguishes him from other candidates. if he comes across as just the same as everybody else, the adcoms will be less likely to forgive his 2.25...

that said, i was in a similar situation. by all rights i should be slumming it in some sketchy columbian med school. but I managed to get into more than a few DO schools and an MD school...its all about presenting yourself in the right light...

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope he took Chem 2--you didn't list it, but every school requires 8 hrs of chemistry.

Even though his science GPA and MCAT are really good, he may be screened out for his overall gpa if it is below a certain point. If you search on here for the gpa calculator you can enter in his info into so you can give us a more accurate overall picture so our advice is better.

Well,

He attended Georgia Institute of Technology for Industrial Engineering...which is a really good school and notorious for being hard. (Your school beat us this year in football = | )

He got a 2.25 GPA there.

Once he graduated he decided to attend University of Florida and over the past year did those "Pre-med" requirements and has 3.75 there from:

Biology I - A
Biology II - B
Chemistry I - A
Chemistry II - A
Organic I - A
Organic II - B
Anatomy - A
Physiology - A
Physiology II - A
Biochemistry - B

He applied to two D.O schools in Florida...I think it's the only two. LECOM in Bradenton and Nova Southeasten University, he also applied to University of Florida as a "Hopes and Dreams" school.

so one can assume is gpa is around 2.5
neh.. some/most schools cut off is 2.5-2.75
so he'll need to apply broadly

so one can assume is gpa is around 2.5
neh.. some/most schools cut off is 2.5-2.75
so he'll need to apply broadly

That may not be that accurate. She should find the gpa calculator and enter everything in. Still though even applying broadly if you don't make the cutoff it doesn't matter. He may need to take more classes to get his overall above 2.75.

My boyfriend has wanted to be a doctor for a long time and his cumulative GPA was 2.25 from Georgia Tech in Industrial engineering, for those "Core Science" GPA he re-took them all and has a 3.75 in those and got a 38 on the MCAT, he has all the standard "I shadowed a doctor...bah bah" stuff.

He applied to a few DO schools and I am just wondering if despite him trying so hard if his low Undergraduate degree killed his chance to begin with...he has been wanting this for so long...

First post, so sorry if I chose the wrong posting section and stuff.

If it matters...the 3.75 is from Biology I, II, Chemistry I, Organic I, II, Physics I, II, Anatomy , Physiology , Biochemistry and was done at University of Florida.

The keyword here is re-took. Since he did so well in all those classes (albeit pre-reqs) it should pull him up significantly. That should boost him up significantly. I am not sure if 2.5 is right for overall since AACOMAS would look at retakes (replacing the bad grades) but still take into account all grades since they request ALL academic transcripts. Best of luck.:)

If he did apply this year, then you will be able to give us a more accurate idea of his AACOMAS GPA. This is assuming he entered the retakes properly. Care to enlighten us a little more?

What is the AACOMAS GPA ?

AACOMAS gpa is the gpa calculated by the DO schools application system. If he was applying this year and he had already entered his info, it would tell you his gpa.

Here is a gpa calculator so you could calculate his new gpa with those science classes that he retook: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050&highlight=AACOMAS+gpa+calculator it is in the first post.

Second his science gpa won't be 3.75 b/c for AACOMAS engineering classes are included in his science gpa (I believe they are labeled as other science).

He's going to need to retake some engineering classes or take a good number of upper-level bio classes to raise both of his gpa. Now for MD schools, the AMCAS, they don't include engineering classes in science gpa, but they do include math classes. Also, repeat classes are averaged instead of replaced with latest grade. Your b/f has some work ahead of him.

This situation is ideal for an SMP. I suggest looking into the Post Bac forums on SDN for a good SMP and get your SO to enroll in that and do well. It's a good backup for next year if this cycle doesn't bite.