Under-represented minorities, august MCAT, secondaries, interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey peeps I just wanted to start this topic to see how we URMs are doing in the application process, so if you are a URM, have taken the MCAT in august and already received secondaries/interviews from the schools you applied, let us know....I'll start
August MCAT 26 (V6,P10, B10 Writing P)
GPA 3.4
Rejections: UCSF, Georgetown
Secondaries:
Albany
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Jefferson
Harvard
USC
Mount Sinai
Loma Linda
Boston U
NYMC
Albert Einstein
Cornell
Stanford
UCLA/DREW
No interviews yet,
put on interview hold for UCSD

have you heard anything from UCLA or UCI? anyways talk to you all soon....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I took the August MCAT scored a 26

So far I have had interviews from UT Southwestern, San Antonio, Houston and Galveston, NYU, UAB, Meharry and one coming up for UPENN. I also have secondaries completed at UMB, Howard and Georgetown. Thats about it for now

awesome Reeni, thank you....anybody else..keep them coming...

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT: 23 (August 2001)
g.p.a: 3.4

Secondaries from:
University of Arkansas
Meharry
Morehouse
Wright State University
University of TN-Memphis
Osteopathic schools (OK-Tulsa, Des Moines, and University of Health Sciences-Kansas City)

Interviewed:
University of Arkansas

Hi Guys,

I have completed secondaries from USUHS, Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, UAB, USA, OU, Wisconsin, Emory, and Tulane. I have a 3.2 with a 25 on the MCAT. Applying from overseas, so really got stuck with the mail problem for some schools. It takes two weeks once something has been mailed to reach me. I am just starting the interview process with Meharry in early Jan. Looking forward to that 8 hour flight. It is really good to see more minority students on this site.

Kandy :D

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."

Hi,
Who can be described as minority?
How is Asia American?

It is GREAT that we URMs are posting to this site. I'm a 3rd year med student and have just a little advice for all of you future doctors. From talking with alot of admissions personnel it is mandatory that all materials (secondaries, transcripts, letters of rec, scores, etc.) are in as soon as you get them sent to you. Don't try to just beat the deadline because so is EVERYONE else. Also, make phone calls and send personal letters directly to schools of interest. Include your resume, let them hear your voice and see your name on a note stating that you called; try to get them to see you as a person and not one of 3000 applicants. I really want all of you succeed and go to the school of your choice so good luck and keep ya head up. (When doors are opened, don't let it slam shut behind you.)---BeeGee :D
Any questions email at: [email protected]

hey, thank you for your posts and I too like the fact that more URM are getting involved in this website. To respond to grettlin's question, it is to my understanding that an underrepresented minority (URM) is considered a person that belongs to a specific race that is not well represented in the professional-career class. For example there are not a lot of latino doctors and african american doctors compared to other races. As far as Asian americans I honestly don't know if they would be considered URMs, maybe you should check with AAMC. anyways people keep the news coming...Oh yeah I just got an email from Uchicago telling me that my application is finally complete so it's under review....so I guess I won't expect an interview until March...hopefully by then my number 1 choice will have already accepted me and I'll be all set.... :)

Hey ma peeps! I'm not officially considered a URM because I'm neither a U.S Citizen nor Permanent Resident. I'm Nigerian so I'm considered an international student. Anyhow I consider myself a URM and that's all that really matters :) . I was thrilled cause I had a 33 on the damn MCAT. I hate that exam! I think minority students don't do as well on the MCAT. Some of the smartest people I know can't manage to break a 23 on it. It's weird. Anyhow, I'm applying MD/PhD and I got into WashU and Duke. I think I'll opt for Duke. They have a very diverse class. One of the most diverse classes of any med school in the U.S. 20% African American and 5% hispanic. Lots of ethnic Chinese and Indian as well. Where are you guys applying?

Secondaries from:
University of Arkansas
Meharry
Morehouse
Wright State University
University of TN-Memphis
Osteopathic schools (OK-Tulsa, Des Moines, and University of Health Sciences-Kansas City)

Interviewed:
University of Arkansas

Just received an interview invitation from Des Moines today.

Hey id106588,
Congratulations on Des Moines! How was your Arkansas interview? You're in-state there right? It's very close to where I am (Alabama in HOUSE!) :D

Original,

My interview at UAMS was very conversational. I had a 4th year med student and a long-term faculty member (a nephrologist). At UAMS, the interviews are closed file, so they didn't know anything about me. I could tell that they had not interviewed anyone before because they were reading right off of the paper in front of them. I didn't get any ethical questions, just the basic ones (motivations, strengths/weakness, why i want to attend UAMS, ect).

I think that I did o.k. I think I could've done better, but I was soooo nervous. But the interview experiences varied in just about everyone I talked to. Hope that helps.

Secondaries from:
University of Arkansas
Meharry
Morehouse
Wright State University
University of TN-Memphis
Saint Louis University

Interviewed:
University of Arkansas

Just received an interview invitation from Des Moines.

Members don't see this ad :)
August MCAT: 33K (10B 11V 12P)
GPA: 3.00

Secondaries:
Case Western
U of Cincinnati
NEOUCOM
Wright State
Morehouse

Interviews:
Howard (12/12/01)
U of Cincy (1/04/02)
NEOUCOM (1/10/02)
Morehouse (1/25/02)
Case Western (2/08/02)

No acceptances.

Good luck to everyone.

August MCAT: 33K (10B 11V 12P)
GPA: 3.00

Secondaries:
Case Western
U of Cincinnati
NEOUCOM
Wright State
Morehouse

Interviews:
Howard (12/12/01)
U of Cincy (1/04/02)
NEOUCOM (1/10/02)
Morehouse (1/25/02)
Case Western (2/08/02)

No acceptances.

Good luck to everyone.

Monique,

First , I want to say congrats on your great MCAT score...I am sooo envious. Anyway, I wanted to know how long it took for you to hear from Morehouse once your applicaton was complete? Thanks...and good luck at your interviews!

August MCAT: 11V 8P 9B QWS
GPA: 4.00 when I applied

interviews at:
UTHSC- San Antonio
UTHSC- Houston
Texas Tech
Texas A&M

upcoming private interview at:
UTMB- Galveston

These are the only schools I applied to.

Monique,

Hang in there...I took the Aug. MCAT 3 years ago and din't start interviewing till Feb. You still have plenty of time. Good luck on your upcoming interviews.

Jaieda,

Congrats on getting interviews everywhere you applied. Thats pretty awesome.

ld106588&tonem

Thank you for you good luck wishes. Sorry about the double post...I don't post here often and am obviously not good at it.

ld106588,

I heard from Morehouse right around Thanksgiving and if I remember correctly, I turned in their secondary in early to mid September.

Hey Monique congrats on those MCATs. Even as an international student I got in Muddphudd at Duke, WashU and may be Harvard with that exact same score.

I had this weird dream just last night that I was taking the MCAT and I was eating fried chicken throught the exam; and then I voided at the end. Weird! I don't know what it means.

Hola
12V, 9P, 10B Q
gpa 3.3

I haven't got any interviews yet and am starting to stress. I got secondaries from every school i applied to (21) except UC Davis(see my post). I'm starting to get a little down but I'm hoping things will get better. Best of luck to everyone.

Rhiana, congrats on your solid scores! You will be fine for sure!

how long ago did you complete all of your applications?

original, i'm watching you. i think you might be racist. and you're definitely NOT nigerian, "ma peep!"

PS. don't be offended. you play with people on this board, so i feel a duty to play with you.

Hey Rhiana!
You are solid. "Don't worry about a thing every little thing is gonna be alright" --B.Marley. Since you applied late you might not even begin interviewing till late Jan or early Feb but that's o.k. Relax and enjoy yourself.

Hey Caveman:
I think you like me too much. Look dude! I have a steady girlfriend; and besides I don't swing that way. At least not yet.

Hey Caveman:
I think you like me too much. Look dude! I have a steady girlfriend; and besides I don't swing that way. At least not yet.

well then..let's exchange pics and see where this goes. I bet you're a tall, slender, beautiful Nigerian prince! Let's start slow and see where we can take this little thing of ours....

:eek:

Hey I'm down for whatever.

Hi everyone. Here are my stats.
MCAT August: 25
GPA: 3.64
African American Female

Accepted: USF
Upcoming Interviews: UNC, Case Western

Secondaries from: Stanford, Emory, Morehouse, Meharry, Howard, Univ. of Pitts, UF, UM, Wayne State, UConn, Temple

I was accepted at USF today. They are great. They are going to pay for all of my medical expenses.

M.D.-2B, 2006

hey MD 2 B is that UCSF where you got in or some other school? either way congratulations!!!!

Good evening everyone

USF is the University of South Florida located in Tampa, FL.

Thanks Niki and Dr. Don

Hey all! I'm not a URM but I am Latino (stupid that they don't include all latinos as URM's).

GPA 3.7
MCAT 10B 11V 12P Q

Accepted:
Tulane

Hold:
CWRU, UCD

Acceptable Pool:
UCSD

Interviewed:
Tulane, Yale, Einstein, UPenn, UPitt, CWRU, UCD,
UCSD, UCSF, UCLA

Declined interview at:
Temple, Georgetown, MCP Hahn

Rejected W/O interview at:
Dartmouth, Stanford, UWash

UCLA2000, I don't understand, you are latino but not URM...what nationality are you from? I am not mexican american, but I do consider myself as a URM, because I figured the term latino encompasses all who come from latin american origins...and please all my bros that are chicanos don't tell me that you are not latino, because you'll just be showing your ignorance if you do...much love to my URM peeps!

UCLA 2000, I'm just curious what your impression was regarding the interview at UC Davis and UC San Diego right afterwards. Did you think it went well or that it could've gone better? I was at those two schools just recently, and I can't guage my chances since the interviews went OK, but they weren't anything special.

By the way, do you speak Spanish?

August MCAT: 28O (9V 10P 9B)
GPA: 2.66

Secondaries: Practically every one of my 17 primaries sent me a secondary due to the AMCAS snafu. I decided to concentrate on only a couple that I thought would sincerely look past my crappy GPA and not just collect my fee and toss my app.

Interviews: None yet.

Acceptances: None of those either.

Still, I'm naively optimistic.

Am I latino? Yes
Do I consider myself a URM? I consider ALL latinos URMS

Does AMCAS consider all latinos URM's? NO. By definition a latino URM is one of Mexican, Chicano, or Mainland Puerto Rican origins.

Therefore I can be Spanish, Cuban, Ecuadorian, El Salvadorian, Honduran, or many other things and not be considered a URM. I don't feel like telling you my specific ethnicity because there are only a handful of applicants from the country that I descended from and I'd like to retain my anonymity if that's aight wit u.

Do I speak Spanish? Well I honestly don't see what that has to do with whether or not I am a URM...but just for sh*ts and giggles El espanol era mi primera lengua. (Spanish was my first language).

My impression of UCD and UCSD...

Well I was really turned off by Davis' facilities and I hated their location. I had the Davis interview 3 days after my interview at UCLA (which went GREAT). I was going to cancel my Davis interview, but thought that it would be rude to do it on such short notice. Because of my lack of interest in the school my Davis interview went just ok.

My UCSD interview went somewhat well. I will be very surprised if they accept me because I've already been admitted to Tulane (which ranks 14 on the Gourman scale). I didn't realize at the time that Tulane was such a good school (and I was asked by my interviewer if I had been accepted anywhere). The students at UCSD didn't really seem to be as cohesive a group as the students at other schools. From what I saw they didn't know each other that well. My student hosts were very dry, and not the kind of people that I'd like to spend ANY time with..let alone the next 4 years...
I was also very put off by the lack of close facilities for students to volunteer in at UCSD. They made it seem as though all the students went to go volunteer at the free clinics, yet the person giving us the tour of the facility got very lost on the way there. It was also very far from the campus (around a 45 min drive). While there I encountered some second and even THIRD YEAR students who had ZERO clinical experience. All of these factors crossed UCSD off my list as a school that I might want to attend.

I think he might have asked if you speak spanish because the schools I applied to in Cali. implied that it was a plus, and would help your chances. I don't think or hope that he didn't mean anything by it.

Originally posted by charleb32:
•I think he might have asked if you speak spanish because the schools I applied to in Cali. implied that it was a plus, and would help your chances. I don't think or hope that he didn't mean anything by it.•••

Hey Charleb32, thanks for clearing it up for me. I honestly didn't mean anything by it other than I was curious and that I had heard that knowing Spanish (URM or NOT) helps ones chances, especially in California.

UCLA2000, thanks for writing about your UCD AND UCSD experiences. I also noticed the little clinical experience built into the first two years at UCSD. I however got a general good impression of the school. My tour guide was a little on the monotone side, but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

UCD was the least organized as far as interview day is concerned, but I think it has to do with the hospitals and affiliated faculty being in Sacramento, and us having to run back in forth from Sacramento to the Davis campus. I really can't form much of an impression because I really didn't get to see much or speak to students aside from my student interview.

Anyhow, good luck everyone

Last time I had to post that I had no interviews but now I have one at UCSF. So I guess there's hope for us all.

Congrats! UCSF is a great place to interview at. Their acceptance rate is 50% of everyone that they interview.

I just got a Cornell interview today :)

hey UCLA2000 how long did you have to wait after submitting your secondary for the interview notice from Cornell. I heard that's a great school and they love people whose focus is helping the underserved..congrats!

wolferman,

do you have an upward trend in your gpa?

My application was complete at Cornell around 2 months ago. I was expecting a rejection from them ...because it's taken forever.

I just got an Emory interview today....of course it's on the same day as my Cornell interview (go figure). I'm going to cancel my Emory one..so hopefully one of you wil get it.

I had a very strong upward trend in my gpa. I had around a 3.4 overall with a 3.2 science, and then I got my act together and got all A's my last two years at UCLA.

Officially on hold for interview at Rush. They are going to make a decision by May 15th whether to interview or reject without.

Columbia
3.6/35R
Completed MD/PhD secondaries for Upenn, WashU, Harvard, JHU in december.
So far:
Interviewed with Upenn MD/PhD
Rejected from WashU MD/PhD - invited to interview for WashU MD - but withdrew: their loss.

My application was complete for 4 months at Northwestern....I got an interview invite today.

UCLA2000!

Congrats to you for your NUMS interview invite! When's it for? Looks like they're passing me up this cycle :( Anyway, let us know how it goes!