Under what circumstances does a med school report something to AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenroses

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a student usually notified if something was reported to AMCAS? Does AMCAS share with AACOMAS? I know AMCAS will share with all MD schools.

I am looking at some of these secondary questions and I'm afraid of answering them wrong. I don't want to seem dishonest but I wouldn't be surprised if I answered some of them incorrectly. Will schools usually just disqualify a candidate or will they go out of their way to contact AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by answered a secondary question wrong? Could you be more specific? My general understanding is that most adcoms find it easy to distinguish between an applicant who is confused and an applicant who is deliberately lying.

For example, if the question were: Do you reside in the state of Georgia? If you responded with: "Yes, I live in a residence hall at my university in Georgia for nine months out of the year," this would not be the kind of answer they were looking for, but they could probably see from your answer that you were not trying to lie. However, if you said: "Yes, my permanent residence is in the state of Georgia," when you really only go to college in Georgia, but your state of legal residence is Maine, this would likely be identified as intentional deception.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean by answered a secondary question wrong? Could you be more specific? My general understanding is that most adcoms find it easy to distinguish between an applicant who is confused and an applicant who is deliberately lying.

For example, if the question were: Do you reside in the state of Georgia? If you responded with: "Yes, I live in a residence hall at my university in Georgia for nine months out of the year," this would not be the kind of answer they were looking for, but they could probably see from your answer that you were not trying to lie. However, if you said: "Yes, my permanent residence is in the state of Georgia," when you really only go to college in Georgia, but your state of legal residence is Maine, this would likely be identified as intentional deception.

So I'm not applying till next year but I have a list already and I decided to check out all their secondaries.

The question is "List all online courses you've taken"

First my school doesn't list it on the transcript but it does on our online grade report so I have referred back to that to find them.

I've also had classes where it was sort of hybrid that appear on my grade report as "on campus" (and not as an online course) and when I called this school up, they're like "did you have exams that were online? if so list them. if the grade was derived from anything that was tested online, then yes you have to list it."

I've taken a few hybrid classes…
and this was his advice regarding a few classes I've taken:

Hybrid class #1- technically called hybrid but all exams were in class so apparently I don't have to list this
Hybrid class #2- in class but some days cancelled and essay exams- need to be reported
Hybrid class #3- mixture of exams and assignments. exams in class but assignments due online (apparently this doesn't need to be reported???)

But according to his ideology, even english and anthropology classes where essays were take home need to be listed. That doesn't make any sense to me. Also with the whole "if the grade was derived from anything that was tested online, then yes you have to list it," do I list my chem classes where my 5% online HW as an online course even though everything else was tested in class?

I don't know what college english class gives in class essays! This isn't HS. But he expects it to be listed. I was like do nearly applicants list their english class as an online and he said "no."

So I am freaking out here! :(

I want to be honest but I don't want to be technical and list my all my undergraduate courses as online just because of that. Obviously no one does this.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if for whatever reason there was a mistake with that, will they contact AMCAS? Will I be notified if AMCAS is contacted? This is really stressing me out

No, but Admissions deans do talk to each other, MD <--> DO.
Does AMCAS share with AACOMAS?

Relax.
I am looking at some of these secondary questions and I'm afraid of answering them wrong. I don't want to seem dishonest but I wouldn't be surprised if I answered some of them incorrectly. Will schools usually just disqualify a candidate or will they go out of their way to contact AMCAS?

First of all, if they're asking you to list them (instead of checking boxes), this could be an opportunity to explain what the exact situation was. You could list the courses and offer brief descriptions of the situation, such as: "The course material was taught online, but assignments and tests were due in person."

As far as the chemistry class with online homework, it seems like it shouldn't be an online course since all of the instruction and exams happened in person, but it depends on the definition of online class that the school is using. You may want to ask for further clarification. Even if you mess up in a situation like that, I feel like they wouldn't view it as intentional deception, but that's just my two cents.

As far as English goes, what was online? Do you mean that you typed a paper and then emailed it to someone? That is not "tested online," in my opinion. The actual work was done in Microsoft Word or whatever, and then the work was transmitted online. Again, just my opinion.

As far as your concern that the AMCAS will report inconsistencies to them, they won't make a special report to the school and send it. They'll just send the school your primary, and it will be the school's job to determine if there are inconsistencies between the primary and the secondary.

I wouldn't be too concerned about interpreting the school's definition down to the letter for every single course. Just do your best to be honest and accurate. They probably won't think you've intentionally lied if you miscategorize something that was right on the line.

First of all, if they're asking you to list them (instead of checking boxes), this could be an opportunity to explain what the exact situation was. You could list the courses and offer brief descriptions of the situation, such as: "The course material was taught online, but assignments and tests were due in person."

As far as the chemistry class with online homework, it seems like it shouldn't be an online course since all of the instruction and exams happened in person, but it depends on the definition of online class that the school is using. You may want to ask for further clarification. Even if you mess up in a situation like that, I feel like they wouldn't view it as intentional deception, but that's just my two cents.

As far as English goes, what was online? Do you mean that you typed a paper and then emailed it to someone? That is not "tested online," in my opinion. The actual work was done in Microsoft Word or whatever, and then the work was transmitted online. Again, just my opinion.

As far as your concern that the AMCAS will report inconsistencies to them, they won't make a special report to the school and send it. They'll just send the school your primary, and it will be the school's job to determine if there are inconsistencies between the primary and the secondary.

I wouldn't be too concerned about interpreting the school's definition down to the letter for every single course. Just do your best to be honest and accurate. They probably won't think you've intentionally lied if you miscategorize something that was right on the line.

That's the weird part. They said even typed up essays should be categorized as online courses which made no sense to me.

What I meant about the getting in trouble with AMCAS is I know schools will sometimes report deceitful behavior to AMCAS and AMCAS will circulate it to the other schools and I don't want them reporting my mistakes if they interpret it as deceitful!

No, but Admissions deans do talk to each other, MD <--> DO.
Does AMCAS share with AACOMAS?

Relax.

I'm thinking about reporting just my actual online courses that are listed as online in my student grade report and the one hybrid class where the prof might be writing me a LOR. When I explained the description the guy said it probs doesn't qualify as an online for their secondary. But I'm going to do it just to be safe.

Secondary:

-online course #1
-online course #2
-1 hybrid course (where i'm asking the guy for a LOR) "All my exams for this hybrid course were in person. Labs were performed in class and lab reports were typed up online and submitted online. HW assignments were submitted online as well."

I'm not putting in all my other hybrid courses or my english classes where I submitted essays via email.

Do you think this is ok? @Goro @gyngyn

Sorry, I just don't want to be blacklisted by AMCAS and AACOMAS for misperception of "deceit."

Just report the course as per the school that will give you the actual transcript.

I really don't know if either AACOMAS or AMCAS has a "Most Wanted List".

I'm thinking about reporting just my actual online courses that are listed as online in my student grade report and the one hybrid class where the prof might be writing me a LOR. When I explained the description the guy said it probs doesn't qualify as an online for their secondary. But I'm going to do it just to be safe.

Secondary:

-online course #1
-online course #2
-1 hybrid course (where i'm asking the guy for a LOR) "All my exams for this hybrid course were in person. Labs were performed in class and lab reports were typed up online and submitted online. HW assignments were submitted online as well."

I'm not putting in all my other hybrid courses or my english classes where I submitted essays via email.

Do you think this is ok? @Goro @gyngyn

Just report the course as per the school that will give you the actual transcript.

I really don't know if either AACOMAS or AMCAS has a "Most Wanted List".

My school's transcripts don't differentiate between online and on campus courses. I know what courses were online according to my report cards. The hybrid courses have a gray area and that's the tough part on deciding what to report and what not to report.

Talk tot he professor as to how the course will be listed on your transcript. If he can't help, talk to your Registrar.

My school's transcripts don't differentiate between online and on campus courses. I know what courses were online according to my report cards. The hybrid courses have a gray area and that's the tough part on deciding what to report and what not to report.

I am still freaking out! Is this something I can get in trouble over? Can I get in trouble for misunderstanding their meaning of the question? (I mean english classes where you submit the essay over email is counted as an online course…like really?). There's so many technicalities it's so confusing.

Are they going to get me in trouble with AMCAS for something like this?

Talk tot he professor as to how the course will be listed on your transcript. If he can't help, talk to your Registrar.

My school doesn't differentiate between online and on campus for courses. It's up to us to report it. In addition to my actual online courses, I'm thinking about just reporting the hybrid course in the secondary because I might get a LOR from this person and he might mention something about it in the LOR. so that's why I asked if my earlier plan was ok?

"Secondary:
-online course #1
-online course #2

I'm not putting in all my other hybrid courses or my english classes where I submitted essays via email even though he said anything where the exams weren't in person were supposed to count as an online course. How ridiculous is that? English class was held every week and just because the grading was such that you had to submit 4 essays via email, I'm supposed to count that as an "online course." :shrug: