Under what circumstances should one send in a "work update letter" to schools they applied to? Does my circumstance fall under this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Lion

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently sent in letters of interests to some of the schools I applied to, but afterward, I started wondering if I should also send in a work update letter as well?

I did a lot of research over the summer, and while I did not mention it on my primary because it began after that, I did make sure to talk about it in detail in both my secondaries and letter of interest. However, I never talked about specifically how many hours I have done for said position though. Would it be beneficial to send in an update letter in order to fulfill that purpose?

In addition, I started another position working full-time last month. Have gathered around 200 hours from the position, and while it involves clinical research, I have been mostly within the library reading up on material and planning my study, prior to conducting anything with any medical professionals or patients. While I discussed it briefly in my letter of interest, I feel like I have a lot more details to talk about from this experience now, would it be beneficial to send in an update letter in regards to this experience as well?

Would love to hear what you all have to say on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time or theirs unless the schools you INTERVIEWED at specifically stated that they welcome updates.

I know you applied to a thread earlier this week on a similar matter, but for the LOIs (SPECIFICALLY the LOIs), I made sure to run it by schools (who knew my current status) and my advisors to see if it was worthwhile, and they said it was. Granted, it wasn’t -all- schools that allowed me to, and if they didn’t, the conversation ended there, so I will change that in my OP, and apologies for the confusion.

So if you would like to respond considering this info and what I mentioned above, I would appreciate it.

I know you applied to a thread earlier this week on a similar matter, but for the LOIs (SPECIFICALLY the LOIs), I made sure to run it by schools (who knew my current status) and my advisors to see if it was worthwhile, and they said it was. Granted, it wasn’t -all- schools that allowed me to, and if they didn’t, the conversation ended there, so I will change that in my OP, and apologies for the confusion.

So if you would like to respond considering this info and what I mentioned above, I would appreciate it.
I doubt that it will move the needle, but sure, go ahead.

Reactions: 1 user