Undergrad 2nd vs Graduate PostBac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucrsandstorm

Hi
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one had a low undergrad gpa and you still want to go to Med school, would it be better to raise the undergrad GPA with a 2nd Degree or doing well at a Graduate PostBac program....

Which path would be better?

Just Curious?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a second degree seems like a waste of time to me. If you could manage a really high GPA in a post-bacc program--as in, above 3.7--that would show adcoms that you really are capable of excelling academically and have "changed your ways." Apparently adcoms love the whole grades trending upward thing. This would be particularly effective if your low undergrad GPA didn't include many science classes, since then your BCMP would be pretty high.

Non-science major the first time around? First you have figure out how long it will take you to get that second degree. If it's more than two years including summers, I say don't do it. Furthermore, if you have to take tons of useless core courses, do not do a second degree. I am getting a second degree... because it works out that I only have to take 1 useless class - the rest will be in the sciences or English prereqs. I was a non-science major so since I'd be taking all of these classes in a post-bac anyway, in the same time frame, why not get a science degree out of it? But you can only find out transfer credits with an audit of your existing classes. Some schools will do this before you even apply. IMHO, it's worth at least checking out.

If you were a science major, or didn't like the above option, consider one of those programs where you take classes with first-year medical students, but you're a post-bac. Since in this scenerio, you've bombed both the overall and the science GPA, you need to show that you can kill specific med school classes.

And as you already know, crush the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right on Sidewalkman!
I couldn't have said it any better.

If you have a low GPA, I believe you need to take post-bac classes and do a formal program to help you get into medical school (eg. GT SMP, Drexel IMS, Finch AP). First you should take the post-bac classes to get your GPA to a respectable number (at least above 3.0 in all categories). Like a previous poster said, if you can squeeze another degree out of this and not take too long, I would definitely do that. Then try to get into one of those programs where you can get a master's degree and take classes with medical students. These programs are generally not post-bac and go under the graduate portion of the AMCAS GPA. That is why you should first get your GPA up by taking some post-bac classes so that your cumulative undergrad GPA will be high enough for medical schools to even consider you.

You don't have to finish a second degree. I think it gives your studies a more structured setup than say a la carte to go take more courses to boost your GPA.

The practical value of a second degree seems to be priority in signing up for classes nondegree students are the last ones to sign up for courses. While it may not be an issue with introductory courses due to their largers class size it may be once we reach upper level courses where classes can be small.