undergrad and medical school in Oz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msett1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am 19 year old freshmen attending university here in the United States. I am a first year Business Major/Bio Minor. I am contemplating applying to university in Australia to complete my undergrad degree and possibly pursue medical school there. Would I be better off completing my undergrad in Australia and also doing medical school there or coming back to the United States for medical school? I just wanted some ideas or examples of Americans who have to gone to Australia to complete their education.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am 19 year old freshmen attending university here in the United States. I am a first year Business Major/Bio Minor. I am contemplating applying to university in Australia to complete my undergrad degree and possibly pursue medical school there. Would I be better off completing my undergrad in Australia and also doing medical school there or coming back to the United States for medical school? I just wanted some ideas or examples of Americans who have to gone to Australia to complete their education.

Thanks

There are literally thousands of examples of people who went overseas and came back, and for the most part did "okay" here in USA. But that's not a good predictor of how you will do in the long run.

Bottom line: If you want to stay in USA, and practice here, my advice is to stay in USA and complete your undergrad and apply to USA MD/DO programs.

Coming back to USA and surviving as an IMG has gotten progressively more difficult over the years irrespective of which overseas country you have graduated from.

If you complete your undergrad overseas, you can pretty much say good bye to all USA medical schools, since a vast majority of them require a USA/Canadian undergrad degree.

On the other hand, if you know you want to live and practice in Australia, then it might not be a bad idea to consider Australia as a good option.

The only advantage of coming to Australia would be that you can by pass the undergraduate degree.

There are quite a few undergraduate medical programs that accept international students; most are 5 or 6 year programs.

However if you finish a program from one of these you will still be considered an IMG back in the US, so you would have trouble matching into the more difficult programs. That being said you may never be able to even get into a US medical school, so the point may be moot.