International Student, Undergrad from US, Applying to Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msworldwide

Reaction score
Hey there!

As a non-US citizen, studying in Philadelphia, I've come to the decision to apply to med schools in Australia. I was wondering what is the application process like? What do schools look for? Are there personal statements and essays? What is the interview like? What sorts of questions do they ask? Are there any scholarships or forms of financial aid?

What are my chances of getting in with a 92% percentile MCAT, 3.98/4.00 GPA?

I was looking into UQ, USyd, UMelb definitely. But what other schools should I be on the lookout for?

Any and all advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there!

As a non-US citizen, studying in Philadelphia, I've come to the decision to apply to med schools in Australia. I was wondering what is the application process like? What do schools look for? Are there personal statements and essays? What is the interview like? What sorts of questions do they ask? Are there any scholarships or forms of financial aid?

What are my chances of getting in with a 92% percentile MCAT, 3.98/4.00 GPA?

I was looking into UQ, USyd, UMelb definitely. But what other schools should I be on the lookout for?

Any and all advice is appreciated!!

Based on your MCAT and grades chances are very high of being accepted to every school you apply to. Australian schools care primarily about quantifiable metrics of your ability- so MCAT first and grades second. Getting accepted as an international student is relatively straightforward and easier because Australian schools need international tuition dollars to operate (domestic students pay very little while you pay 300-400k for that 4 year degree plus cost of living) and they don't need to guarantee you a job after you graduate- i.e. there is no guarantee you will be able to do your training there after that 300-400k you just spent while the domestic students have a guaranteed internship. They don't care about your CV, band leadership, personal statement, volunteer hours.

You should look at the websites for all those schools to see further requirements like any prerequisite courses you might need (some schools require some don't). Some schools have a Skype interview process, many have gravitated towards MMI style. Some don't have interviews.

Flinders and Griffith also have a decent amount of international students (I think around 25 internationals in each class at last count) so maybe add those to your list.

Think about where you would want to live for 4 years and other differences between schools, electives, ease of going to your home country for rotations, international student numbers, curriculum differences etc. No one will do this for you, and there are very few internationals on this forum that have experience outside of UQ. This forum is primarily dominated by Americans in the UQ-O cohort so it will be difficult for you to get lots of info here if it is not pertaining to that program.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
The total MCAT score among all test takers is 500 (i.e., 50th percentile), most successful M.D. applicants typically achieve an MCAT total score at or above the 75th percentile (i.e., 507-508+). Moreover, the average MCAT score among successful applicants is trending upwards.

Last edited by a moderator: