Undergrad Calculus before PhD in Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisbeast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I have noticed that many school of public health require good grade in Calculus as requirements for admission to PhD programs in Epidemiology. I, however, did not. I got a D in Calculus in my undergrad. I know it sucks but I got accepted into a scholars program and started taking classes the summer before my freshman year. I had to complete a semester of calculus in 6 weeks and I was immature and lazy at the time.

I am taking advanced statistical classes at LSHTM for a MSc in Epidemiology right now so I do not know if admissions will be more lenient given that I am not going straight from my undergrad. I was thinking of looking into MIT Opencourseware just to prepare but its not like I can put that on my CV. Does anyone think I need to retake a calculus course?

Members don't see this ad.

Really? I've never seen that calculus requirement.

It's completely not necessary. Having good stats grades as a grad student are far more important than calculus classes as an undergrad. I also C's in my undergrad calc classes and was admitted to a top 10 program for a PhD in epi.

Calculus will be necessary in higher level biostats coursework, but you don't need to be a master in it. I wouldn't worry about re-taking it for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I think BU, GWU, UC Davis, and a few others have a calc requirements but, again, those might be for people without a masters.
Thanks.

I had a masters degree and was still required to have taken calculus before beginning in the GWU epi PhD program.
Not sure if they'd require you to retake it if you had already taken it but with a poor grade.