Undergrad class to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nocturnius

Resident Cynic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to register for my freshman year of college and I was looking through my catalog at the offered classes.

I'm already signed up for biology (pre-registration required for lab inclusion,) but a class that caught my eye was "medical terminology." Do you think this would be a good class to take? Or would I just be wasting my time? Or maybe I should take it later in my education? What do you think? Have any of you taken a class like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Nocturnius said:
I'm getting ready to register for my freshman year of college and I was looking through my catalog at the offered classes.

I'm already signed up for biology (pre-registration required for lab inclusion,) but a class that caught my eye was "medical terminology." Do you think this would be a good class to take? Or would I just be wasting my time? Or maybe I should take it later in my education? What do you think? Have any of you taken a class like this?

Get your prereqs out of the way while you're still fresh. Knock out your sciences, immediately take the MCAT and then finish up with other classes of interest.

As far as med term being a beneficial class, think of it like this, you have the rest of your life to play doctor with big medical terms, take classes that interest you on a personal level so that you may be a sane individual with educational hobbies/interests outside of work and are able to communicate with all types of people about all types of things. That makes you seem more intelligent and plus people like folks that they have things in common with. You are paying moeny to college at the undergrad level to not only prepare you for your continued education, but also a broad general knowledge.

There is nothing more boring in my opinion than someone that only can talk about their work./..

Remember, my advice is to hit your sciences first, then mcat, then others.

hah I went to a health careers high school and all that medical terminology stuff has mostly left me. Sure -itis means inflammation is great to know, but leave that class until you're done with the core. Physiology helps for the MCAT and don't neglect picking the harder/better english professors.
Finally, don't get f'ed over by the bookstore. www.cheapesttextbooks.com is where I go and usually can find the book at half.com or someplace 1/3 what the ripoffs have it going for. Plus no tax online.

I took medical terminology as a Senior but it was an IR. I loved it b/c it was an easy A. No class, just me a book. If you have a chance to take the class as an IR, I say do it. It leaves you more time to drink, punch that is.