Undergrad Courses to Take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheryl01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to map out what to take in the future as an undergrad since there are so many sciences I have to take and I want to see it organized on paper. I don't know in what order to take these four classes because they don't tell you and I have the pre-reqs done. Any you wouldn't take in the same semester together?

Genetics
Microbiology
Cell Biology
Neuroscience

Members don't see this ad.

Take them in any order you want. Every course you listed are independent of each other.

I'm trying to map out what to take in the future as an undergrad since there are so many sciences I have to take and I want to see it organized on paper. I don't know in what order to take these four classes because they don't tell you and I have the pre-reqs done. Any you wouldn't take in the same semester together?

Genetics
Microbiology
Cell Biology
Neuroscience

Never taken neuroscience, but the other three doesn't have anything that you would need to know in order to do well in the others. Taking one before the other won't give you a big advantage or anything, except cell bio if any.

Me personally, I'd take cell bio first, then genetics, then microbio and finally neuroscience last, but you can really mix them up anyway you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question...
My senior year of highschool I took calculus I and did great.
They put me down for College Algebra for my first semester.
Should I take it and go through precal/trig and use that to possibly keep my GPA boosted or should I take Calculus I which is only left three days a week at 8a.m. I would go in with fresh out of a year of Calculus and probably do quite well.

Is it better (for my GPA and the DAT test) to go through all the "math"s or start out in Calculus????

Whatever you like. I took ap calc in high school and did calc I again and II in university. Taking college algebra seems lame, but it would help your GPA if it is easy. Or you can use that extra time to take some other biology classes or stats.

Whatever you like. I took ap calc in high school and did calc I again and II in university. Taking college algebra seems lame, but it would help your GPA if it is easy. Or you can use that extra time to take some other biology classes or stats.
Lol... this is exactly what I'm struggling over.

College Algebra: Possibly boost GPA more, maybe help DAT score after going through all the "Math"s

Calculus: (Con: waking up at 8AM for the only class left) Having more room on my schedule to take other classes later on, easier to take after just taking the course

Lol... this is exactly what I'm struggling over.

College Algebra: Possibly boost GPA more, maybe help DAT score after going through all the "Math"s

Calculus: (Con: waking up at 8AM for the only class left) Having more room on my schedule to take other classes later on, easier to take after just taking the course

Might as well take college algebra as an elective, great way to boost the science gpa.

The last half of calc 2 was BRUTAL though. I mean BRRRUUUTALLLL.

Hi,
Speaking from experience (just finished my first year in dental school), I would highly recommend taking these courses (no particular order):

genetics
biochemistry
anatomy
physiology
pharmacology
neuroscience
microbiology
cell biology
histology (only offered in graduate school, I believe)