undergrad courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warmtoast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To current med students out there, what courses would you advise taking during your 2nd semester senior year? Should we take courses to jumpstart our med school education (anatomy, immunology, etc)? Or would you recommend taking it easy and sticking to easier ones? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Study a bottle of liquor and relax. Enjoy the free time you have. Extra studying won't help.

Surprisingly, there has been a lot of overlap in immunology for me. I enjoyed the UG version so it wasn't me taking it to just take it. Biochem is good, but doesn't go to the depth of med school. I didn't take anatomy, but from my understanding it doesn't help much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take easy courses, and science courses only if you're interested. For example, during my last semester of undergrad (I already knew I was going to med school) I took Native American studies. I couldn't focus in that class whatsoever but it felt nice allowing my brain to relax a bit for a semester before enjoying my summer.

I found all my undergrad course-work to be VERY helpful. I took everything in undergrad: micro, cell, genetics, molecular, immuno, anatomy, physiology, histology, ect. So far, being only an MS-1 its helped a ton to just re-learn what I have already learned. But being your final semester as a senior, its too late, just freaking relax! The demon that is medical school will consume us all!

recipe for a great last semester:

1) go through course catalog, pick out the coolest sounding classes. preferably something not related to science.

2) go to every drink special night you can.

3) relax and enjoy your last few months of freedom.

I did the above and pulled a 3.9. Boy, college was fun. :D

recipe for a great last semester:

1) go through course catalog, pick out the coolest sounding classes. preferably something not related to science.

2) go to every drink special night you can.

3) relax and enjoy your last few months of freedom.

I did the above and pulled a 3.9. Boy, college was fun. :D
Best. Advice. EVER. +11ty billion.

Take the undergrad classes - they'll help immensely as an OMS-1. Seriously.

I actually wish I hadn't been as lazy with my schedule second semester senior year as I was - not having dealt with a difficult class load for a while left me a bit "rusty" when the brutal intensity of medical school commenced.