Undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowfairy1004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting Pre Med classes next semester (as a sophmore... ok I decided alittle late.) I currently have a GPA of 3.85 from Wheaton College and then transfered in 2 years of 4.0 from U of MN. (Not counted in my Wheaton GPA) I'm thinking that the science courses might bring down my GPA what number should I be careful not to go below if that should happen? I'm going to do everything in my power to keep my GPA around 3.8 but we'll see... Orgo and BioChem may be my death sentence.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I wouldn't fall anywhere below a 3.9. Everyone knows that you can't in to med school with a GPA lower than that. I mean, with a 3.8 you <i>maybe</i> have a shot. Better get your @ss in gear. Good luck.

3.5 gpa and 30 MCAT are usually the magic numbers. If you have those you will probably get in SOMEWHERE. This is assuming you have normal extracurriculars. If you're shooting for hopkins though, 3.8-3.9 is a good range.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, congrats on joining the ranks of us psychotic folks that are choosing to enter a rewarding medical career. There are many in this cult, and this is not to be taken likely (J/K).

Dude, relax.

As far as your classes, just do the best you can. As long as you score above a C in your classes (med schools generally don't take below that score), then you will be just fine. I would personally aim for a B or above, but if you get a B- or a C+ or a C, it's not the end of the world. Believe me, you'll survive, and you will be forgiven.

Organic Chemistry will only be your death if you let it be. I actually loved Orgo so much that I tutored it for a while, and Biochem is a great class as well. It's all in your perspective. As long as you work hard (as I'm sure you did to maintain your current fabulous GPA), you'll be just fine.

Just make sure that you concentrate your efforts on becoming a well-rounded student, not just a GPA and a MCAT score. A stellar GPA is great, but don't sacrifice your sanity (there's plenty of that in your future) just to get an A that may or may not be there. Have fun, live a little, and enjoy your undergraduate experience.

Best of luck to you.

Learn...Learn...Learn from the mistake of others!!!

The time will come when you will be making the choice between having fun in college and studying. Everyone has to make that choice. Choose the one that gets you A's. There will be a time when you will have to choose between waking up at 7:00 AM in order to take the damn practice test again at Kaplan or to just roll back into bed and sleep in. Choose the one that gets you a high score on the MCAT.

Good luck whatever happens.

The time will come when you will be making the choice between having fun in college and studying. Everyone has to make that choice. Choose the one that gets you A's. There will be a time when you will have to choose between waking up at 7:00 AM in order to take the damn practice test again at Kaplan or to just roll back into bed and sleep in. Choose the one that gets you a high score on the MCAT.

This was motivating. It really was. We are for sure the same crappy brand of premeds, arent we? :)

Anyway, to the OP...congrats on your high GPA thus far and good luck with the upcoming science classes! Science is definately a whole new ball game compared to nonscience classes and it might take a little while to adjust to them and develop effective ways to study for them. At any rate, it's awesome that you have a nice high GPA starting out...I was premed from the word go and am trying to dig myself out of a 3.2 hole as a sophomore right now. My advice would be to relax as much as you can and rather than constantly calculating your GPA, take it one premed class at a time and try as hard as your possibly can to make an A. However, if you end up with a B, it is NOT a big deal...you can even get a few C's and still be good to go. And as someone up there said, 3.5 IS a nice looking GPA; I think >3.5 is an asset, <3.5 is a liability, but that's debateable.

Originally posted by BigRedPingpong
Learn...Learn...Learn from the mistake of others!!!

Good luck whatever happens.

**** that, have fun.

just target getting the best grades as possible while at the same time keeping sane.

if you can get the grades without putting in extreme amounts of work...then take advantage of your gift and enjoy your time in college. you typically only go once so enjoy it.

it was the best 4 years of my life...

i hope when you are done you feel the same while giving yourself the opportunity to be competitive for a medical school acceptance.

good luck. and you havent started late. dont stress about things you dont need to. ;)

Good Luck in your science classes. Just remember though, that college is 4 years of fantasy land. Don't get hung up with your GPA. Go out and have fun, meet people, dance, drink, be merry. Because come medical school, that will all be gone!

Yes, you will work hard in medical school, but it doesn't mean the end of your social life.

Use your undergraduate experience as a segway for learning how to BALANCE so that you are able to adjust more easily to the rigors of medical school. There are plenty of people with great grades who also have very enriching and fulfilling social lives. No, you might not want to go out drinking the night before your Orgo exam, but you don't have to kill yourself and let life pass you by.

College is a once-in-a-lifetime experience (hopefully), so do what works best for you. But you're going to need some sort of outlet for the stresses that pre-med academics often place on you. So drink (if you drink), party, & be merry, but do so in moderation. You don't have to deprive yourself of the full experience of being a college student.

Originally posted by Heal&Teach
Yes, you will work hard in medical school, but it doesn't mean the end of your social life.

Use your undergraduate experience as a segway for learning how to BALANCE so that you are able to adjust more easily to the rigors of medical school. There are plenty of people with great grades who also have very enriching and fulfilling social lives. No, you might not want to go out drinking the night before your Orgo exam, but you don't have to kill yourself and let life pass you by.

College is a once-in-a-lifetime experience (hopefully), so do what works best for you. But you're going to need some sort of outlet for the stresses that pre-med academics often place on you. So drink (if you drink), party, & be merry, but do so in moderation. You don't have to deprive yourself of the full experience of being a college student.

Right. (and btw, its "segue", not "segway", although its pronounced "segway". just fyi. ;))

I graduated w/a 3.1 (2 years of crappy grades followed by 2 years of good grades means an average gpa). I worked for 2 years, and now I'm in med school. I had a great time in college, and I wouldn't trade my experiences and my extracurricular activities for a bright and shiny GPA. So have fun!!!

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
Right. (and btw, its "segue", not "segway", although its pronounced "segway". just fyi. ;))

Thank you ma'am. They need a spell check on this damned thing. J/K.

Yeah, taking time to relax is good advice,

Your college years should involve more than just textbooks and practice exams. Do the best you can. However, be aware of your priorities (My theory: Study like hell during the week and relax on the weekends!). You will have to sacrifice some time to do some of the important things to take you toward your goal (eg. studying like crazy for 3-4 months for the MCAT). But at the end, even a year of sacrifice is worth it. Good luck with everything!

PS. If you don't know HOW to relax....Ron or Jose (or both!) should help

Originally posted by ehd327
PS. If you don't know HOW to relax....Ron or Jose (or both!) should help

Ron Jeremy??

:D