Quantcast

undergrad/med at same school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rnnpmaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Is it generally easier to get into your undergrad alma mater, or does it not really matter?

Thanks

NutCracker2021

~Keeping Faith~
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
mmm..i wouldnt say easier..but it is an advantage because all of your resources are within your reach...my undergrad does not have a medical school but there is one like around the corner and is affiliated with us...so i take advantage of those people as much as possible. I shadowed doctors there, i spoke to admissions there, i have worked there..the opportunities are endless..

Slowpoke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard a mixed review on this topic. So I don't think you'll be getting an accurate answer.

But if you're good enough to get into your alma mater you should be good enough for someone else's alma mater, if you know what im sayinggggg

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it generally easier to get into your undergrad alma mater, or does it not really matter?
Anecdotal evidence with n=1 is that it doesn't matter.

You might consider doing a poll to get more people's experience in this area.

Docere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd agree that there are some mixed opinions about this. But generally what I heard was that some universities would rather you explore some other options/places rather than just sticking with the familiar, so to speak.

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Canada, yes (infinitely easier!)

In the US, from what I've seen here, no it doesn't seem to matter as much.