Undergrad performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilchinoboy03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i could use some insight from all of you out there...i didnt do too hot my first 2 years of undergrad...i pretty much maintained a 3.0. my 3rd year...i figured out i cant get anywhere if i dont pick it up so i busted my hump..pulled straight A's for the most part..and pulled up to a 3.36. Now I'm going into my 4th year...and i calculated..if i pull straight A's throughout..i can get up to a 3.5 or so...so give or take a B or so...im going be between high 3.4's and low 3.5's. My question is....will schools look at progression and take into consideration that I got pretty much straight A's my last 2 years...or do they just look at overall and dont even care when, where, or how? Also, i did have a D in bio from my 2nd year...but i replaced it with an A come my 3rd year. my undergrad GPA from my school jumped a lot because they replaced the D....will AADSAS disregard the D when calculating GPA? or will it include both of those? I haven't applied yet so I don't exactly know how it works...when it asks you to report your course work and grades, do you have to include both the D and the A and have them be averaged into your total GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools will definitely look at trends. If you can get to a 3.4-3.5 and then go well on the DAT, you're still competitive.

how about the D? will that be included in the dental application GPA? because my GPA is 3.36 now...without the D...because the A replaced it...but will AADSAS include the D...that will make a drastic change...of course so will my few junior college courses...but i worry that D is going to come back and haunt me

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't tell ya for sure. But, b/c of some BS that went down with one of my classes I'm stuck with a D in a class I could ace. I'll have to retake it as well, but I'm not worried about it killing my chances. Just bust your butt the rest of the your UG, study your head offf for the DAT, and then prepare to dazzle at your interview (meaning, be articulate and have plenty of research and volunteer time as well as a great background on dentistry.).

yes, AADSAS will count the old grade and the new grade even if your school doesn't. it sounds crappy, but it's really the only fair way to do it.

syn_apse said:
yes, AADSAS will count the old grade and the new grade even if your school doesn't. it sounds crappy, but it's really the only fair way to do it.
Yeah, just a super bummer though. I'm hoping i can get the school to wipe it off of my record. I'll harass the hell out of em. I can still get a 3.82 w the grade, but 3.9 is much much better sounding :D

another question...does the calculated AADSAS GPA distinguish + and - grades....b/c at my school for example....a B+ is 3.3 and A- is 3.7. or do they just round it to the letter grade?

lilchinoboy03 said:
ok so i could use some insight from all of you out there...i didnt do too hot my first 2 years of undergrad...i pretty much maintained a 3.0. my 3rd year...i figured out i cant get anywhere if i dont pick it up so i busted my hump..pulled straight A's for the most part..and pulled up to a 3.36. Now I'm going into my 4th year...and i calculated..if i pull straight A's throughout..i can get up to a 3.5 or so...so give or take a B or so...im going be between high 3.4's and low 3.5's. My question is....will schools look at progression and take into consideration that I got pretty much straight A's my last 2 years...or do they just look at overall and dont even care when, where, or how? Also, i did have a D in bio from my 2nd year...but i replaced it with an A come my 3rd year. my undergrad GPA from my school jumped a lot because they replaced the D....will AADSAS disregard the D when calculating GPA? or will it include both of those? I haven't applied yet so I don't exactly know how it works...when it asks you to report your course work and grades, do you have to include both the D and the A and have them be averaged into your total GPA?

Hi,
Yes, schools do look at an increasing trend favorably, but only if you have the same or increase level of difficulty. If you have an increasing trend and you took easy classes to up your GPA, this probably would work against you.

Yes, AADSAS counts both the D and the A grade. AADSAS also takes +/- into account. When you are entering your course grade you have to enter it as it is reported on your transcripts. For example, if your transcripts uses the GPA system to report your grade you have to enter it as such.