undergrad reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Music333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does the prestige of undergraduate school matter when applying to a PsyD program?

Members don't see this ad.

does the prestige of undergraduate school matter when applying to a PsyD program?

It would matter equally, whether it is a Ph.D. or a PsyD program.....as for how much, probably not a great deal. There is definitely a difference between the top tier undergrads and Podunk University.....but much of your competition are coming from top programs. You'll probably get some leeway if you got a 3.5 at an Ivy, compared to a 4.0 at a lower tiered undergrad....though going to a top rated school won't cut you slack if you have a 2.8, and you are going up against 3.5's.

-t

thanks t. im just wondering b/c im considering getting a OTD, MPH, or PsyD. right now I'm at a large state school (third tier). but i was accepted into my dream school as a transfer, which is a top 20 school. the only thing holding me back is the financing. but if prestige even plays a little role in grad school admissions, i guess its something to think about...

As someone who transferred to their dream school (also a top 20 school, wonder if it is the same one) I can say if it is your dream school go for it. It may not make logical sense, and it is a lot of debt, but it was the time of my life and I will never regret it! One of the best choices I ever made!