Undergrad research is this considered "lab benchwork"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been already asked before, but in my lab I ahve been in for 1.5 years, I passage, freeze, stain, differentiate stem cells and I am in the middle of learning qRT-PCR. I also do RNA isolation and just learned cDNA synthesis.

Apparently my PI said he'll make me do more things, but I am not sure exactly where all these roles fit in the paper(s). I have a general idea on what the experiment/project is but I don't exactly know how to interpret the data sometimes. For example I'll passage a plate of cells for 8 passages and then one of the fellows in the lab will be like "ok thanks I'll take the plate and start my experiment with them" and I just kind of wonder what happens to them after. I feel like I am not exactly "contributing intellectually" but I am learning specialized skills (according to my PI most undergrads don't learn this much skills in research...).

Members don't see this ad.

This does sound like scut work. You've been there for 1.5 years. To be frank (if you haven't done so already), you should've asked your PI when you'd have your own project. Ask them now and if they seem hesitant to start you up with one, I'd find another lab.

hm yeah i thought so too but he did guarantee me publications (note plural). He told me that once I have mastered qRT-PCR, I will be responsible for it in our main project (the one he is banking on getting into some high end journal) and he puts me in charge of almost all in vitro stuff basically. The other fellows work on animal experiments mostly. I was put on as middle author in a publication in the Journal of American College of Surgeons for one of our earlier projects (like 3.5 montsh ago).

Members don't see this ad :)
Though I wouldn't classify what you're doing as research, if you're getting pubs out of this apparent scut work then kudos to you.

Uhh, stay at it if you are getting a pub(s).

this is "benchwork". it's what postdocs, grad students, lab techs, etc. do on a day to day. you're just currently lacking the critical thinking component. i would recommend you to talk to the postdocs who are taking your cells for "experiments", ask them if you can watch what they're doing, look up papers related to what they're talking about (or if they're real nice and friendly, just ask them for papers to read). start from there and i think you have a pretty good research experience.

"mastering" basic techniques isn't much to show for 1.5 years but better late than never!

this is "benchwork". it's what postdocs, grad students, lab techs, etc. do on a day to day. you're just currently lacking the critical thinking component. i would recommend you to talk to the postdocs who are taking your cells for "experiments", ask them if you can watch what they're doing, look up papers related to what they're talking about (or if they're real nice and friendly, just ask them for papers to read). start from there and i think you have a pretty good research experience.

"mastering" basic techniques isn't much to show for 1.5 years but better late than never!

I guess I made my post a little vague or misleading....I do know and understand the main project and the theory behind it, literature, and what is ideally supposed to happen. In fact, my PI made me do most of the literature/background research and present it to our lab a couple times in the beginning. It's just that the project is not my own (like independent run exp) and when I mentioned how the post-docs took the plate of cells, I meant that I do not know exactly know what he or she will do w/it next. For examplle, I know that they will inject teh stem cells in a traumatized soft tissue area of a mouse at some point but don't know the specifcs (like what flap, how long the mouse will be observed, how many are there, what is concentration, waht is the exact procedure for this, what reagents are used, what are the different gene markers we are focusing on, etc). I am not exactly in the dark, but I do not know specific everything the post-docs do....just the big picture of what they do.

What exactly is your question... whether this counts as "research" experience? It definitely does. Having a basic understanding of how lab techniques work and implement them is really important.

I couldn't hurt, however, to ask your PI for a small project. Many schools want to see that you can communicate your work and share it with the scientific community, so presenting posters, etc. is pretty important.

Also, take Soundnin's advice and ask the postdocs/fellows all of the questions you have. They will probably be happy to share.

I guess I made my post a little vague or misleading....I do know and understand the main project and the theory behind it, literature, and what is ideally supposed to happen. In fact, my PI made me do most of the literature/background research and present it to our lab a couple times in the beginning. It's just that the project is not my own (like independent run exp) and when I mentioned how the post-docs took the plate of cells, I meant that I do not know exactly know what he or she will do w/it next. For examplle, I know that they will inject teh stem cells in a traumatized soft tissue area of a mouse at some point but don't know the specifcs (like what flap, how long the mouse will be observed, how many are there, what is concentration, waht is the exact procedure for this, what reagents are used, what are the different gene markers we are focusing on, etc). I am not exactly in the dark, but I do not know specific everything the post-docs do....just the big picture of what they do.

sounds good to me :thumbup:

if you want to know those things that you mentioned, just ask them. chances are the postdocs will be flattered that you are interested in their work.

I would recommend, likely your university has this, an independent study. You get to work with a P.I. while doing independent research on a topic picked out by him.
I'm currently in one and he is pushing for a publication.
Makes me and 4 other students do all the work though, even the critical thinking component.