Undergrad research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beannaithe

Bionerd
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Random question. I've been doing undergrad research for about a year when I was deciding between dental and grad school. I made up my mind that I definately was going to dental school. Anyway, I just wanted to know if it would help me get in or anything. (I'm listed on one paper and the project was at a dental convention a few weeks ago).

Also, anyone know the exact day that the applicatiosn oepn up for Fall 06?

Thanks. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Research will only work in your favor. Kudos on having your project/name associated with a presentation at a dental conference as well! Expect this to come up in interviews and I would encourage you to play it to the hilt. As far as the exact date, AADSAS states that applications generally become available around May 15th. This past cycle they became available on the 17th or the 18th (I can't remember which, but it was a few days past the stated deadline). As long as you get your application in before July you will be considered a really early applicant. Best of luck!

beannaithe said:
Hey guys,

Random question. I've been doing undergrad research for about a year when I was deciding between dental and grad school. I made up my mind that I definately was going to dental school. Anyway, I just wanted to know if it would help me get in or anything. (I'm listed on one paper and the project was at a dental convention a few weeks ago).

Also, anyone know the exact day that the applicatiosn oepn up for Fall 06?

Thanks. :D

If you're published on it, then it will help. Otherwise it will help to the extent of however you "Frame" it within the context of your overall application.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had several years of research experience, all of it interesting, nothing of it was published. Research was not really even discussed at my interviews, but I got several interviews, so maybe that means something.

I think if I had the time back, I would have studied more for the DAT and worked on my GPA rather than spending so much time in the chem lab.

Of course it will be beneficial to mention it on your application. They like to see people do other things other than studying for the classes you're taking. It'll especially work in your favor for institutions that put more emphasis on research rather than clinical...like U. Mich. :) Good luck!

Research def helps. I didnt get my name published but i worked in a lab, in a radiobiology lab had nothing to do with dentistry, and i did a few projects while i was there. i talked it up in my app, and they asked about it at my interview. alot of dental schools want some of their students to join their dds/phd programs, so if they think you might be a possible candidate, they will look favorable upon you. even if you arent really goin to pursue a phd, i think it will better your chances of getting into d-school if you have research experience.