Research opportunities for an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalflossn

Reaction score
Attending SUNY Buffalo and am not sure where to find research opportunities to round out my pre-dental experiences. When I look at the job board they usually are looking for (grad?) students or full-time employees that have a bachelors degree.

I see Buffalo has an "Experiential Learning Network" list of projects you can work with a mentor but is that really considered research?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did extensive research in undergrad and dental school. The way I found research opportunities was by emailing PI's. I honestly probably emailed 10 or so in undergrad and got nothing but positive responses from faculty, even those who said they didn't have room for me in their lab.

I did extensive research in undergrad and dental school. The way I found research opportunities was by emailing PI's. I honestly probably emailed 10 or so in undergrad and got nothing but positive responses from faculty, even those who said they didn't have room for me in their lab.
PI being "Principal Investigator"?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking what were you offering (as an undergrad) to do for the PI that helped get work in research? Outside of describing my background (Biotech program, pre-dental, etc.) what help would a PI need to know I can offer?

If you don't mind me asking what were you offering (as an undergrad) to do for the PI that helped get work in research? Outside of describing my background (Biotech program, pre-dental, etc.) what help would a PI need to know I can offer?
Don't overthink it! I basically just sent them an email describing a little bit about myself and said I was interested in getting involved in their research. They'll train you on what you need to do. Having undergrads in their lab is part of their job. I think I said something along the lines of:

Dear Dr. Anderson,
My name is John Doe. I'm a Junior here at Smith college. I was looking at your lab website and found your research on drug therapy targeting histoplasmosis very interesting. I was wondering if there were any opportunities for undergrads to get involved in your lab. If so, could I come by and discuss this with you sometime? I've attached my resume below.

Thanks,
John Doe

Resume attachment