Undergrad sophomore looking for honest advice and opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhiTat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just became a sophomore this semester and my grades aren't looking too good right now. I have a 3.043 cGPA and a 2.58 sGPA. I'm a biology major and so far I've only taken basic science courses, (bio 1: B, bio 1 lab: B-, bio 2: C, bio 2 lab: B, physics 1: D, physics 1 lab: B). I'm thinking about retaking bio 2 and physics 1 to raise my grade up but not too sure if I should do it. I messed up pretty bad freshman year because I was screwing around thinking that I can get good grades without trying too hard, like in high school. I realized my mistakes and now I'm taking school very seriously, last semester I did ok, got an A in calc 1, and pulled a B in bio. Currently I'm taking university chem 1, calc 2, and so far I have As in both of those classes. If I keep doing well for the rest of my undergrad, will it be enough for me to get into med school? (I'm a TX resident). As of right now, I have no research experience, no shadowing, the only thing I have on my EC is that I'm pretty dedicated to Model UN all around TX, all year long, since it inspired me to be a doctor, and volunteering for Red Cross. I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks and everyone have so much better standings in academic as well as EC, I'm not sure if I can make it since my profile is so "bland," nothing extraordinary like what I've been seeing on here. I know I have 3 years left to prepare myself for med school. I haven't event study for the MCAT yet, and everyone around me already is. What should I do? Is it too late for me to try and recover my cGPA and sGPA since I did so bad freshman year? Should I be looking into getting a master before applying for med school? I'm planning to start studying for my MCAT this summer, is this a good idea? I'm just really really worried because I think messing up in my freshman year has caused me too much to try and recover. I know this is a long post and I really appreciate anyone taking their time to read it and give me some advice on what I should be doing because I have absolutely no idea and just really scare that my bad freshman year has lost me the chance of getting into med school. Thank you, I appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I just became a sophomore this semester and my grades aren't looking too good right now. I have a 3.043 cGPA and a 2.58 sGPA. I'm a biology major and so far I've only taken basic science courses, (bio 1: B, bio 1 lab: B-, bio 2: C, bio 2 lab: B, physics 1: D, physics 1 lab: B). I'm thinking about retaking bio 2 and physics 1 to raise my grade up but not too sure if I should do it. I messed up pretty bad freshman year because I was screwing around thinking that I can get good grades without trying too hard, like in high school. I realized my mistakes and now I'm taking school very seriously, last semester I did ok, got an A in calc 1, and pulled a B in bio. Currently I'm taking university chem 1, calc 2, and so far I have As in both of those classes. If I keep doing well for the rest of my undergrad, will it be enough for me to get into med school? (I'm a TX resident). As of right now, I have no research experience, no shadowing, the only thing I have on my EC is that I'm pretty dedicated to Model UN all around TX, all year long, since it inspired me to be a doctor, and volunteering for Red Cross. I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks and everyone have so much better standings in academic as well as EC, I'm not sure if I can make it since my profile is so "bland," nothing extraordinary like what I've been seeing on here. I know I have 3 years left to prepare myself for med school. I haven't event study for the MCAT yet, and everyone around me already is. What should I do? Is it too late for me to try and recover my cGPA and sGPA since I did so bad freshman year? Should I be looking into getting a master before applying for med school? I'm planning to start studying for my MCAT this summer, is this a good idea? I'm just really really worried because I think messing up in my freshman year has caused me too much to try and recover. I know this is a long post and I really appreciate anyone taking their time to read it and give me some advice on what I should be doing because I have absolutely no idea and just really scare that my bad freshman year has lost me the chance of getting into med school. Thank you, I appreciate any help.

ADCOMs like to see upward trends. The MD schools will not take grade replacement so you'll need to do very well and get your gpa up to at least 3.4-3.5. DO is definitely in reach. MCAT will make a huge difference as well. Study for it and take it when you've done the practice you feel necessary. It helps to have finished all the core requirements at school.

Also, you need to start getting some ECs and shadowing in there to bolster the low GPA. Try clubs that have volunteer initiatives and talk to a teaching hospital near you. Good luck!

Concur strongly...it's still early in the game.

ADCOMs like to see upward trends. The MD schools will not take grade replacement so you'll need to do very well and get your gpa up to at least 3.4-3.5. DO is definitely in reach. MCAT will make a huge difference as well. Study for it and take it when you've done the practice you feel necessary. It helps to have finished all the core requirements at school.

Also, you need to start getting some ECs and shadowing in there to bolster the low GPA. Try clubs that have volunteer initiatives and talk to a teaching hospital near you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a sophomore, you certainly still have plenty of time to improve your situation. If you can show a positive trend and do well in upper-level bio courses, C's shouldn't hurt you. However, you have to retake physics: all prerequisite courses must be completed with a C or better (as described by TMDSAS; most if not all AMCAS schools have this same requirement).

While it's popular to take the MCAT (or at least start preparing) the summer after your sophomore year, don't feel like you have to stick to this schedule. Since you haven't taken organic chemistry yet and will need to retake physics anyway, I'd recommend that you put off seriously studying for the MCAT until after you've completed these courses.

If you're interested in research at all, I'd suggest trying for research (summer or school year, not sure how close you are to any TX med schools) at a med school - those rec letters can be really helpful.

If you don't feel like you'll be ready to apply after your junior year, working in a research lab or medical-related field (e.g. ER scribe) for a year or two after graduation is good for your resume (and lets all the grades you earn/ activities you participate in your senior year make it onto your application, too).

So in short: retake physics, do well in all your future prerequisite courses + other science courses, take the MCAT when your coursework has given you a solid background, look into doing research and physician shadowing, keep up with your volunteer work, and don't panic - you still have a shot.

Take it from somebody who used to be in your shoes, you still have plenty of time to raise your GPA. I know it's easier said than done to raise your GPA as you get deeper into undergrad but you will really need to push yourself farther than you have before if you really want a future in medicine. You will need a minimum of 3.5 in cGPA and sGPA.

As for your MCAT, I would strongly advise you to hold off on the preparation and retake your physics. Besides, you have Ochem coming up soon and you will need a lot of time to study and do well in that class. Even then, I still wouldnt advise you to study for the MCAT over the summer because that means you would be taking the MCAT VERY late in the cycle. It's best to begin your preparation around X-mas time and take the MCAT in April so you can have your apps in ASAP.

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice and encouragement. I honestly thought I actually lost my chance of getting to MD school because of the mistakes I made during freshman year. So I'm going to retake Physics 1, but can I take it in community college, or do I have to retake it at my current school? I haven't take Physics 2 and Physics 2 lab yet so I'm pretty sure I can take it at a local community college. Will doing that make me look bad since it might look like I cannot handle the curriculum? Physics is the only subject I plan to take at community college since my school is infamous for the bad physics department.

Sorry if I ask a lot of questions but my advisor here is a joke, all they try to do is just make sure they push you out in 4 year with a degree, they won't even spend more than 15 min. with each students, "It's the rule," they always say.