Undergrad Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jedi_Knight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I recently turned 39.
My overall GPA to date is 3.5.
This semester just ended and unfortunately it will likely drop as I have a B in general biology and C or D in intermediate algebra. I had a bad semester.
Next semester I am taking Chem 1, bio 2 and college algebra.

What I struggle most with is managing running a household (I'm a single parent of 3) and college.
I think poor time management is my biggest stumbling block.
I make a little money as a tutor at the college but its like $250 a month.
Otherwise I am living off of loans.

I did join the Phi Theta Kappa and will apply for scholarships this winter break.

ANY advice at all is gladly welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

first and foremost, congratulations on pursuing your degree. it can't be easy, and I really admire your resolve and tenacity.

the main concern isn't your bad semester -- everyone stumbles. how far away are you from finishing your degree? (also, is this an associate degree.. if so, will you be transferring to the a four-year university afterwards?) what health-related community service or clinical exposure activities have you been involved with? how are you certain that medicine is the right path for you? what is your science GPA?

and these questions are personal so I'm not saying you need to answer them on the internet, but I think they're important questions to ask yourself: how will you afford medical school expenses if you do matriculate, especially with your current debt and family needs? depending on how old your children are and what other support systems you have, is it realistic to pursue a field where after graduation, you'll be in 4 more years of intense schooling and at least 3-4 more years of residency, especially with the understanding that oftentimes it's hard to choose the geographic location of both schooling and residency?

please understand that I'm not trying to discourage you at all. they are just questions that I've seen many students, especially those who are older, struggle with and ones I think are incredibly important to consider before investing more time and money on this journey.

Members don't see this ad :)
first and foremost, congratulations on pursuing your degree. it can't be easy, and I really admire your resolve and tenacity.

the main concern isn't your bad semester -- everyone stumbles. how far away are you from finishing your degree? (also, is this an associate degree.. if so, will you be transferring to the a four-year university afterwards?) what health-related community service or clinical exposure activities have you been involved with? how are you certain that medicine is the right path for you? what is your science GPA?

and these questions are personal so I'm not saying you need to answer them on the internet, but I think they're important questions to ask yourself: how will you afford medical school expenses if you do matriculate, especially with your current debt and family needs? depending on how old your children are and what other support systems you have, is it realistic to pursue a field where after graduation, you'll be in 4 more years of intense schooling and at least 3-4 more years of residency, especially with the understanding that oftentimes it's hard to choose the geographic location of both schooling and residency?

please understand that I'm not trying to discourage you at all. they are just questions that I've seen many students, especially those who are older, struggle with and ones I think are incredibly important to consider before investing more time and money on this journey.

I will be transferring to the university in spring 2018. That would leave me 1.5 to 2 year left before i obtain the bachelor of biology.
My science GPA? I only took Bio 1 and got a B. Prior courses were stuff like english, history etc.
I've also thought of PA school if the MD school route didnt work out.
There is a medical school nearby (Wright State) which would be ideal, there are also 2 PA programs very close.

Son, 14. Daughters, 12 and 10
Obviously you didn't mention, so I'm going on based on an assumption. Have you looked into after school program's that puts all three in a singular location? Cutting down on transportation time (and cost) should help in your time management skills. Even getting an extra hour or two to study before you pick up the kids could help you.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously you didn't mention, so I'm going on based on an assumption. Have you looked into after school program's that puts all three in a singular location? Cutting down on transportation time (and cost) should help in your time management skills. Even getting an extra hour or two to study before you pick up the kids could help you.

When I became a single parent, I was really blessed with the local YMCA afterschool program. This was before I went to college. My kids attended it but now don't like it that much. So they take the bus home after school.
I will take an hour to study after classes before going home this spring.

This fall, my cumulative GPA dropped from 3.5 to 3.1. One D and a B.
I know why it dropped, why I fell behind. I have an ex wife that thrives on causing problems. She calls frequently for police welfare checks. Which I dont mind, the police are in and out in five minutes.
However, she lucked out and got Children Services to investigate her claims that my son is suicidal and that I neglect, brainwash the kids etc. So I was under stress from the inspector visiting the home. I think the stress affected my ability to study well.
I think I will always have to deal with these welfare checks and investigations until the kids are grown, so I just have to get used to them.

I will be transferring to the university in spring 2018. That would leave me 1.5 to 2 year left before i obtain the bachelor of biology.
My science GPA? I only took Bio 1 and got a B. Prior courses were stuff like english, history etc.
I've also thought of PA school if the MD school route didnt work out.
There is a medical school nearby (Wright State) which would be ideal, there are also 2 PA programs very close.
you're rather early in your med school journey, so I'd recommend perusing some of these websites below to better understand what applying to medical school looks like. I'd also recommend you consider both osteopathic and allopathic programs.

for osteopathic programs:
http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying/aacomas-application-instructions
http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying/general-admission-requirements

for allopathic programs:
https://students-residents.aamc.org...rticle/admission-requirements-medical-school/
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/applying-medical-school/

When I became a single parent, I was really blessed with the local YMCA afterschool program. This was before I went to college. My kids attended it but now don't like it that much. So they take the bus home after school.

I know why it dropped, why I fell behind. I have an ex wife that thrives on causing problems. She calls frequently for police welfare checks. Which I dont mind, the police are in and out in five minutes.
However, she lucked out and got Children Services to investigate her claims that my son is suicidal and that I neglect, brainwash the kids etc. So I was under stress from the inspector visiting the home. I think the stress affected my ability to study well.
I think I will always have to deal with these welfare checks and investigations until the kids are grown, so I just have to get used to them.
Nothing like a vindictive ex to ruin things. Sorry you're in that situation
hope things improve.

Have you talked to the police about her filing false police reports? It's illegal to call the police knowingly just to harass someone. Does she have partial custody? She sounds like a psycho. I'd try to get a restraining order and full custody if you don't already have that. My step brother is going through something similar with an insane ex wife. It is making an already difficult situation for you even more difficult.

Have you talked to the police about her filing false police reports? It's illegal to call the police knowingly just to harass someone. Does she have partial custody? She sounds like a psycho. I'd try to get a restraining order and full custody if you don't already have that. My step brother is going through something similar with an insane ex wife. It is making an already difficult situation for you even more difficult.

Yes, I have sole legal custody and physical custody. She has visitation rights for 8 hours weekly at the County Visitation Center.
The court is very aware of these continual calls and all the judge does is tell her to "work to improve herself" or "get better."
She is diagnosed bi polar, borderline personality disorder and refuses to take medication. There is no accountability at all. She was sending obscene text messages and the police did warn her to stop (she just laughed at the officer when he called her).
This is just something I have to deal with until the kids are grown.
The situation will never go away, I have to learn how to not let it affect me. And I was doing pretty good but next time I will do much better.

Yes, I have sole legal custody and physical custody. She has visitation rights for 8 hours weekly at the County Visitation Center.
The court is very aware of these continual calls and all the judge does is tell her to "work to improve herself" or "get better."
She is diagnosed bi polar, borderline personality disorder and refuses to take medication. There is no accountability at all. She was sending obscene text messages and the police did warn her to stop (she just laughed at the officer when he called her).
This is just something I have to deal with until the kids are grown.
The situation will never go away, I have to learn how to not let it affect me. And I was doing pretty good but next time I will do much better.

Document document document. If you keep making complaints about her, it will give you ammo to file for a protective order and to remove her visitation rights. If she's that crazy, she shouldn't be in her kids' lives.

Document document document. If you keep making complaints about her, it will give you ammo to file for a protective order and to remove her visitation rights. If she's that crazy, she shouldn't be in her kids' lives.

I only have a few more years until the kids are grown.
My main issue is finishing college successfully while they are growing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please be safe. I hope you consider moving once the kids are grown...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are Honor Classes worth the extra effort?

I am doing BIO 2 for Honors, it entails a 10 page report and 30 minute class presentation.
I am also taking Gen Chem 1 and college algebra this semester.
Is there any benefit in taking those classes for Honors also? The Bio Professor said it his class would be regarded good when completed with honors.

Generally no, honors don't really do much, no one really cares. So it's up to you if you want to, but don't expect anyone to think much of it

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hello I need some advice.
This term I am in Physics 2 and Organic Chem 1. I have a C in both currently.
I feel very stressed and considering my options. am I correct in assuming that Med School is much more difficult in course difficulty?

I feel strongly that if I dropped one , I could get an A in the other and then tackle the dropped one next term.

I'm also tempted to take a job that was offered at the HIV clinic I was volunteering at. It doesn't pay much, but $36000 a year or so...but my house is paid for , etc.

Let me be clear: I do have a strong desire to go to medical school. But I'm concerned with my GPA and struggling with classes I may not qualify.

My current GPA is 2.91
Thank you for your time and advice.

I think if u can drop one without affecting ur gpa then do that. No reason to rush and further damage ur gpa. Good luck with it all!

I think if u can drop one without affecting ur gpa then do that. No reason to rush and further damage ur gpa. Good luck with it all!
Thanks. I CAN drop without affecting the GPA.
My concern is that I may not be cut out for med school...if I cant handle these two courses then how could I handle med school?
My biggest issue is time management. I have a hard time focusing efficiently. My teenage daughter was hospitalized yet again (4th time in a year) for being suicidal...and i find myself worrying about her even though i know i have no control in her behavior (she now lives with her mother for the past 7 months).
Maybe I'll withdraw from org, focus on raising my grade in physics and then reassessing everything in a couple months.

My concern is that I may not be cut out for med school...if I cant handle these two courses then how could I handle med school?
My teenage daughter was hospitalized yet again (4th time in a year) for being suicidal...
1. Please make sure you are getting help/counseling for yourself while she gets help for herself
2. Don't worry about med school right now, focus on you and your family

So sorry to hear about your daughter - that is a truly traumatic experience like none other

Thanks. I CAN drop without affecting the GPA.
My biggest issue is time management. I have a hard time focusing efficiently. My teenage daughter was hospitalized yet again (4th time in a year) for being suicidal...and i find myself worrying about her even though i know i have no control in her behavior (she now lives with her mother for the past 7 months).
Maybe I'll withdraw from org, focus on raising my grade in physics and then reassessing everything in a couple months.
Ned s gool.is off the table until you can master time not.

Very sorry to hear of your woes. Your daughter's health (and yours) need to come first

Hello, all.
I am taking Anatomy 1 (undergrad majors anatomy course) and I will have to drop it, because I have a F in it! (a high F but still an F)
Here is what I am taking:
Organic 1
Anatomy 1
Lifespan Psychology
Global Health

I got a B on the first exam (because I studied the anatomy text between summer and fall term), but have been getting D on the weekly quizzes and D or F on the exams.
I struggle with the memorization.
I can remember the main structures, no problem. But when I take the exam, I can't remember the foreman or the process of the bone and miss it. I study with the Kaplan cards, but struggle identifying the parts on the donor body part during the quiz.

I would appreciate honest feedback. Does this mean I am not fit for med school? My current GPA is 3.0, Junior status. Current grades this term are:
Organic 1 B
Anatomy 1 F
Psychology C
Health C

(I also just started at University. Prior to that I attended community college and the courseload has been much more challenging at University)

OH...and I was surprised to receive an email from the Army National Guard recruiter on campus.
I told him I was 41 and probably outside his age range of recruits, and he replied that they now recruit to 44.
He said the Army would pay 100% of med school if i was accepted and signed an ROTC contract.
I am going to meet with him on Friday for more details.

Hello, all.
I am taking Anatomy 1 (undergrad majors anatomy course) and I will have to drop it, because I have a F in it! (a high F but still an F)
Here is what I am taking:
Organic 1
Anatomy 1
Lifespan Psychology
Global Health

I got a B on the first exam (because I studied the anatomy text between summer and fall term), but have been getting D on the weekly quizzes and D or F on the exams.
I struggle with the memorization.
I can remember the main structures, no problem. But when I take the exam, I can't remember the foreman or the process of the bone and miss it. I study with the Kaplan cards, but struggle identifying the parts on the donor body part during the quiz.

I would appreciate honest feedback. Does this mean I am not fit for med school? My current GPA is 3.0, Junior status. Current grades this term are:
Organic 1 B
Anatomy 1 F
Psychology C
Health C

(I also just started at University. Prior to that I attended community college and the courseload has been much more challenging at University)

These grades, as they stand today, will not make you competitive for medical school. You should be aiming for a 3.4ish+ (DO) or 3.6+ (MD). If you don't turn your grades around ASAP, then, yes, it will look like you're not academically suited for the incredibly intense coursework of medical school.

That said, I believe you can improve with some major adjustments. Your GPA and academic history suggest that there are problems with your study habits. Do you know what those are? How are you addressing them? Your university's learning/tutoring center would be a good place to find help.

I estimate the courseload you posted would require around 70-80 hours per week of study to earn straight As (which is what you should be targeting). How much time are you putting in every week?