Undergrad Study Strategies

Started by jcruiser
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jcruiser

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I see a lot of SDNers gloating around how their GPA is 3.5+ which really gets me wondering how they do it. Of course, I really don't know whether they're telling the truth but there's not really a reason to lie considering the 4th year is when we figure out who got interviews/rejections etc. Then I see some newbies who get on this forum and ask a "What are my chances with this 2.5 gpa and 4 MCAT" and never come back. That's what gets me really worried, because I know if I don't pick up a good study strategy my gpa is going to drop.

I have a 3.15 gpa and I've been getting B's, few A's (non science), and an occasional C. So, I've been basically struggling with my science courses, and I have to ask, to those who get high B's and A's, what's your studying secret? I know grades are hard work, but there are people who run around studying "smarter" and not longer and still manage to get straight A's. As ridiculous as it sounds, I was thinking about picking up a few books on the subject of studying.

What Smart Students Know: Maximum Grades. Optimum Learning. Minimum Time. by Adam Robinson
How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less by Cal Newport

But before I go and waste money on these books, could anyone shed some light on how they go about preparing to ace an exam? Laugh at me if you want, I'm just not a gifted straight-A student. 🙁
 
Studying varies person to person, course to course. For Bio, or bio-related courses, I read the chapter(s) before the lecture, then afterwards I read it again, except this time taking comprehensive notes, then I read it once more. Before the test, I go over my notes, memorize key terms, look at powerpoint slides...

For Chem, or other more math-oriented courses, I read the chapter beforehand, then I just do tons of practice problems.

So I don't really think there's a "secret," it just takes time and effort.
 
There is no secret, it's entirely dependent on one's school, study preferences, and specific class.

Organic Chemistry: Do the problems at the end of the chapter over and over again. Really sit down and THINK. Don't just get the right answer, make sure you know logically how that answer makes sense. Organic Chemistry is a logic game, and once you get the basics down, the rest of the year is a snap

Biology/Biochemistry/Ect: These classes I just study the powerpoint slides and audio recordings of the lectures.

Physics/Gen Chem: Memorize the formulas.

Liberal Arts: who studies for these? 😎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, you've go to find your studying mojo. I had some friends in college who crammed for 3 hours before each exam. Others studied a bit every night for a week and made a 20 page study guide. They would then earn the same grade on the exam. Unfortunately, the only way to find your mojo is trial and error. GL
 
I usually have a balance schedule I have 1 or 2 science classes and 2-3 easy classes. I only take 12-15 credits.

Read Review Recite
 
I agree with what everyone else has said so far. It's just a matter of finding what works for you. Personally, I've found the more you understand the material (ex: Orgo) the easier it is. I try to never depend on straight-up memorization, though this semester with microbio has broken that trend.

Also, merk the first midterm. Seriously. Study as hard as you can for it. The semester is a lot less stressful knowing you have a 95 in the class halfway through than a 70 or 75.
 
It's all a personal preference. For Bio 1&2, I got As and all I did was listen in class, go over his powerpoint notes and READ the textbook on that specific chapter. I'm probably what you call a textbook learner. Most of the time I won't get a few concepts in class (sometimes I'm literally staring blankly at the screen) but reading the textbook really helps me nail down certain concepts.

Doing this, I was able to get 6/6 or 8/8 on those "summarize this pathway" or "summarize his research on this particular molecule and what it does" questions, I was really surprised at the amount of information I was able to regurgitate and get those full marks for these types of questions, which are usually the hardest. So thats my "secret" for Bio. For chem/phy/math it all takes practice.

If you take interest in something, he whole process of memorizing and understanding it becomes much easier.
 
your studying secret? I know grades are hard work, but there are people who run around studying "smarter" and not longer and still manage to get straight A's.

I think that it is a combination of both. I think that each individual has a "study secret" that works for that individual but cannot always be universally applied to help everyone. Also, although this may help someone study more effectively it doesn't mean that that person will be able to study for less time so much that it is some sort of a magical tool.

My recommendation would be to take however long it takes you to study now and double it. Also, get used to "testing yourself" get a piece of paper and memorize everything and test yourself by seeing if you can write it out (instead of just saying it in your head)
 
Work on time management. Spread your studying out over the week. People learn better when they see the material a couple of times (same goes for medical school, there is just a **** ton more of it.) Seek help when you need it. DO NOT depend on cramming the night or two before a test. Can it work? Hell yes. Is it a good idea? NO. Try to find what works best for you, now. You'll have to do it again in medical school but it won't be so hard because you already did it once.

No joke, a many people get into medical school having no idea how to study. Getting a grasp on it in undergrad is a good start. Ask other people what they do, do searches on here, and come up with that fits for you.

One last thing: from my experience, the people who get burned the most are those that straight up don't change study strategies from high school to college or college to medical school. Was high school easy? Yes. I barely studied, if I did, and managed a 3.4 with massive amounts of partying (I was insane in high school). Try it and college and you will get burned. Same goes from college to medical school. You WILL have to put in more time from stage to stage, but learn HABITS that you can keep from stage to stage (methods of memorizing).