Undergrad Totally Unrelated to Vet....help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlili

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my undergrad, I had no idea what I wanted to study. I had always thought of working with animals in some capacity, but I thought I never would be able to get into a vet school so I never considered it an option until recently. I graduated this past May and realized a little too late that maybe I could become a vet. So now I have a B.S. in Science, Technology and Society. I have zero hours logged at a vet's office. I have some experience working on farms if that could count for anything. I have mediocre grades; I won't make excuses- I just didn't try because I didn't care about the courses I was taking. I have nothing that would get me even an interview.

So my question is: where do I begin? I understand that my vet school journey will be a long one, especially because I have to start bulking my resume up. I know it may be 2 or 3 years down the line till I'm ready to apply. So what do I do? Should I get my Masters in Zoology or Marine Biology? (Marine Bio because my dream is to work with marine mammals.) Do I get an internship at a zoo or aquarium? How do I begin pursuing my dream of vet school? Thanks everyone for reading and literally any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow a vet. Before you start to spend lots of time and money pursuing prereqs for vet school you should be absolutely sure this is what you want to do. The day-to-day realities of vet med can be different than how we initially think this profession will be. Extensively research zoo and wildlife med and that track, because it is a long road that many people want, but few actually achieve, though it can definitely be done. Most of all, research the debt associated with becoming a veterinarian and really think about what that means in regards to your long term plan. If, after you start to shadow and do your research, you still can't see yourself doing anything else, then start the prereqs. Do as well as you can in those courses. Spend time searching this forum for other advice. There is a pinned post on the front page detailing how to search old threads in case you need help. Hopefully, once you have done your research, shadowing, and gotten your courses under your belt, you can apply a few years down the line.

Reactions: 5 users
Shadow a vet. Before you start to spend lots of time and money pursuing prereqs for vet school you should be absolutely sure this is what you want to do. The day-to-day realities of vet med can be different than how we initially think this profession will be. Extensively research zoo and wildlife med and that track, because it is a long road that many people want, but few actually achieve, though it can definitely be done. Most of all, research the debt associated with becoming a veterinarian and really think about what that means in regards to your long term plan. If, after you start to shadow and do your research, you still can't see yourself doing anything else, then start the prereqs. Do as well as you can in those courses. Spend time searching this forum for other advice. There is a pinned post on the front page detailing how to search old threads in case you need help. Hopefully, once you have done your research, shadowing, and gotten your courses under your belt, you can apply a few years down the line.
Everything Jayna said ^

A good place to start is this: Put on a nice outfit, print off your resume, and go visit the clinics in your area. (Looking nice might seem intuitive, but we had more than one person show up at my old clinic asking to shadow or volunteer looking so unprofessional & messy - first impressions DO matter.) E-mail is okay, but try to visit them in person if you can. Explain that you're interested in pursuing vet school and you'd like to shadow their vet. If you don't hear anything, wait an appropriate length of time and follow up - call them, e-mail, or stop by. Try to shadow at more than one clinic, if possible. Every clinic is run a little differently and every veterinarian has a different personality and style, and it's definitely worth it to get to know multiple vets, if you have the chance. But start with one, see if you like it, and go from there.

Any vet experience will be helpful to you right now, not just the specialty you're interested in. Shadowing a large or small animal vet will be valuable, even if you don't want to go into general practice, so don't try to limit yourself right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I feel better reading your advice because I was just going to rush into a post-bacc premed program. Thanks for your advice!

You may also want to explore careers that would let you work with the species you want to work with outside of veterinary medicine. And don't forget that even if you end up with a job outside of the animal world, you can always devote your spare hours to volunteering at a zoo, etc.

You may also want to explore careers that would let you work with the species you want to work with outside of veterinary medicine. And don't forget that even if you end up with a job outside of the animal world, you can always devote your spare hours to volunteering at a zoo, etc.

I've considered that option as well, but honestly I felt frustrated by the thought of watching other people do a job I wish I could do be doing. So I could volunteer but I think I'd feel sad that I never tried to do it myself.