Undergraduate colleges with &-year dental programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artyosha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your time for answering my question.
I am currently in high school and am very interested in the dental field.
i wanted to know if there are any undergraduate colleges that have 7-year dental programs??
Thanks again

P.S. Without talking the DAT's - getting in right away

for example NYU has a 7 year medical program that you can get into without taking the MCAT's straight out of highschool

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
umm you should research and find potential dental schools that interest you and see if they offer any 7yr dental programs. i dont know of much but i think the university of florida and nova southeastern offer 7yr programs but im pretty sure a lot of dental schools do. just visit their websites and check them out :)

i wanted to know if there are any undergraduate colleges that have 7-year dental programs??
Thanks again

The University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA has several accelerated programs that allow you to complete 2, 3, or 4 years of undergrad followed by three years in dental school. The website to look that up is web.pacific.edu. That's where I currently go to school now.

Members don't see this ad :)
University at Buffalo has a 7 year B.S./D.D.S. program.. you don't have to go to UB for undergrad, you can also get your B.S. at Canisius college which is a few miles away.

Marquette offers a 7 year pre-dental scholars program where your senior year becomes your first year of dental school and you also receive your B.S. that year also.

Marquette offers a 7 year pre-dental scholars program where your senior year becomes your first year of dental school and you also receive your B.S. that year also.

UTHSCSA has the same thing with a handful of schools in Texas. I know UTSA, St. Mary's, and ACU do.

The problem with those programs is that I don't think you apply for them until your second or third year in school and you're not guaranteed a spot. So you could end up going to a school just because of a program that you might not get into. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, it's just something to be aware of. I would call the schools that have the programs to see what percentage of applicants typically get accepted.

University of Florida, you see these 7 year programs come with a catch. You are expected to get a certain score on the DAT by the end of ur sophmore year to stay and guarantee ur spot. It will require the same amount of work if you werent in a 7 year program.

University of Florida, you see these 7 year programs come with a catch. You are expected to get a certain score on the DAT by the end of ur sophmore year to stay and guarantee ur spot. It will require the same amount of work if you werent in a 7 year program.

UF's 7 year program website (for example): http://www.dental.ufl.edu/Offices/Admissions/DMD/honors_combined_bs_dmd_program.php

assuming you are ACCEPTED into the program, you will have to graduate with a 3.75 overall and a 3.5 BCP. you can score a minimum of 20 for academic average with nothing lower than a 16 on the DAT. plus, you HAVE to choose either nutrition or microbio as your major. saving money by going to a state school would be a huge plus because there are many people with 20+ DATs who don't get into UF. but if you meet UF's 7-year prog reqs, you for sure will also get into some other schools.

as for other schools, i'm sure most of their reqs are all very similar in difficulty. personally, i didn't know i wanted to do dentistry right out of HS or even in 2nd year of college.

The program that UTHSCSA has with several universities here in Texas has less stringent requirements. I know that they require their students to make an 18 AA on the DAT to retain their spot. I also know of quite a few who lose their spots because of their low DAT scores so obviously admission into the program isn't too competitive.

Tufts University has a 7yr DMD program. You apply your freshman year. Your senior year, you are a student at Tufts undergrad and at Tufts Dental. It is a competitive program and also very demanding. Unless you're positive about being a dentist, I would not suggest it. However, if you are positive, that means one less year in school and one more year you will be working later on to help people (and make bank!).

Thanks again

uic, nova, penn (with Lehigh i think) all have them too!
some are strict about only letting in in-state students so check that out

The program that UTHSCSA has with several universities here in Texas has less stringent requirements. I know that they require their students to make an 18 AA on the DAT to retain their spot. I also know of quite a few who lose their spots because of their low DAT scores so obviously admission into the program isn't too competitive.

This is because one of the criteria for admission is that you have to apply with less than 30 hours. It's not that difficult to get good grades when you only have one or two semesters of freshman courses. I know people who are accepted then in their sophomore year have their GPA down in the 2.XX range.

This is because one of the criteria for admission is that you have to apply with less than 30 hours. It's not that difficult to get good grades when you only have one or two semesters of freshman courses. I know people who are accepted then in their sophomore year have their GPA down in the 2.XX range.

I agree. I wonder if they keep statistics on the percentage of students that are accepted in the program that actually matriculate into UTHSCSA? I would guess that it is low. Their programs aren't fulfilling their stated goals at all.

I would agree it is on the lower side. I know they have been accepting more people into it recently and it will be interesting to see how it works out.

If it is still the same when I was in undergrad, you have to make an 18 AA and maintain a 3.4 cumulative and science GPA all 3 years.

If it is still the same when I was in undergrad, you have to make an 18 AA and maintain a 3.4 cumulative and science GPA all 3 years.

Yeah, that is still the case. I was just saying people get accepted because it's not to difficult to get good grades when you have only taken a limited number of lower division courses. When they get into classes that are a bit more difficult, their GPA drops and subsequently they may not reach completion of the undergrad portion of the program and dental school matriculation.