1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Underground Clinical Vignettes

Discussion in 'Step I' started by DMBFan, May 7, 2008.

1. DMBFan

DMBFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am thinking of getting them because I hear they are good at solidifying concepts especially the biochem. Does anyone recommend any particular subject over the others? I doubt I'll have time to get through all of them.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I thought the Pathophysiology series was awesome....it dramatically improved my Uworld scores. The microbio isnt that great, infact it sux. The Anatomy is very good, biochem is ok.

4. Docster

Docster Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have the 3rd ed (Blackwell) and they are significantly different from the newer edition published by some other company. The older edition has more specific info (CC, HPI, PE, Labs, Imaging summary, Gross Path summary, Tx, discussion for each condition) and, in my opinion, geared more towards boards b/c of bold-faced buzzwords. The newer edition that I glanced through seemed more geared towards teaching students how to perform a differential diagnosis + think through things when they see particular sx/signs during the clinical yrs.

I've skimmed through the UCV for each unit the night before an exam to get a broad overview. I'd recommend it more as a supplemental light study aid (something you can use while working out in the morning). They're all pretty good, except I've never used the pharm book. I picked up the series a couple yrs back b/c I got a good deal and they used to be highly recommended by some schools (in the '90s)

5. TerpMD

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have the 3rd Ed also. I think they are great study tools for lecture and *hopefully* boards. I find they are more useful if you use them with someone. Even a non medical person can read them to you... or find something to cover up the answers at the bottom because because they are written so big you see what it is before you even flip the page. I've used mainly the pathophys ones.

You can find the 3rd ed really cheap too :)

6. DMBFan

DMBFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is the ISBN to the 3rd edition? What does the cover look like?

7. TerpMD

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  8. kaleerkalut

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi Everybody,

So I was looking at this thread because I am considering getting the Underground Clinical Vignette Series Step 1 Bundle, but I am a little confused. What is the difference between the 3rd edition and the "newer" one they talk about a few posts above mine?

The ISBN for this one is listed in First Aid at the back where book recommendations are made:

http://www.amazon.com/Underground-Clinical-Vignettes-Step-Bundle/dp/0781763622/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303422014&sr=8-1

I'd really appreciate somebody's help because I am trying to figure out what is best to get. Thanks in advance. :)

9. kaleerkalut

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No love for this thread??? :(

Please help. Thanks in advance :)