Underground Clinical Vignettes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting them because I hear they are good at solidifying concepts especially the biochem. Does anyone recommend any particular subject over the others? I doubt I'll have time to get through all of them.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the Pathophysiology series was awesome....it dramatically improved my Uworld scores. The microbio isnt that great, infact it sux. The Anatomy is very good, biochem is ok.

I thought the Pathophysiology series was awesome....it dramatically improved my Uworld scores. The microbio isnt that great, infact it sux. The Anatomy is very good, biochem is ok.

I have the 3rd ed (Blackwell) and they are significantly different from the newer edition published by some other company. The older edition has more specific info (CC, HPI, PE, Labs, Imaging summary, Gross Path summary, Tx, discussion for each condition) and, in my opinion, geared more towards boards b/c of bold-faced buzzwords. The newer edition that I glanced through seemed more geared towards teaching students how to perform a differential diagnosis + think through things when they see particular sx/signs during the clinical yrs.

I've skimmed through the UCV for each unit the night before an exam to get a broad overview. I'd recommend it more as a supplemental light study aid (something you can use while working out in the morning). They're all pretty good, except I've never used the pharm book. I picked up the series a couple yrs back b/c I got a good deal and they used to be highly recommended by some schools (in the '90s)

I have the 3rd Ed also. I think they are great study tools for lecture and *hopefully* boards. I find they are more useful if you use them with someone. Even a non medical person can read them to you... or find something to cover up the answers at the bottom because because they are written so big you see what it is before you even flip the page. I've used mainly the pathophys ones.

You can find the 3rd ed really cheap too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the 3rd Ed also. I think they are great study tools for lecture and *hopefully* boards. I find they are more useful if you use them with someone. Even a non medical person can read them to you... or find something to cover up the answers at the bottom because because they are written so big you see what it is before you even flip the page. I've used mainly the pathophys ones.

You can find the 3rd ed really cheap too :)

What is the ISBN to the 3rd edition? What does the cover look like?

http://www.amazon.com/Underground-C...gy-Classic/dp/0632045515/ref=pd_sim_b_title_9

Here's one on Amazon. I got the whole set (minus the Atlas) for like $30 on Ebay basically new, and they have it used on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0632045590/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1210209648&sr=11-1

Hope this helps.

Hi Everybody,

So I was looking at this thread because I am considering getting the Underground Clinical Vignette Series Step 1 Bundle, but I am a little confused. What is the difference between the 3rd edition and the "newer" one they talk about a few posts above mine?

The ISBN for this one is listed in First Aid at the back where book recommendations are made:

http://www.amazon.com/Underground-C...3622/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303422014&sr=8-1

I'd really appreciate somebody's help because I am trying to figure out what is best to get. Thanks in advance. :)