Underprivileged = Underserved?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed already, I tried to do a quick search, but I admit I'm pretty lazy too.

Having trouble defining underprivileged communities. I know poor neighborhoods, homeless, etc are underprivileged, but does living in an underserved area also count as underprivileged?

I'm trying to say that I previously lived in an underprivileged area because I used to reside in a semi-rural town that only had one adult clinic staffed by two physicians. Closest hospital was ~30 min away. Usually a pretty busy wait to get an appointment.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

This is interesting. My take would be that an underserved area is underprivileged, but not the other way around necessarily.

This is interesting. My take would be that an underserved area is underprivileged, but not the other way around necessarily.

I agree with what you said, but what makes a rural area underprivileged? Not privileged with available healthcare or a hospital? Makes it just sound like its underserved. So confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what you said, but what makes a rural area underprivileged? Not privileged with available healthcare or a hospital? Makes it just sound like its underserved. So confused.
I would have to say availability of resources in general: jobs, food, electricity, water, sanitation, etc. It's open to your interpretation as well. I really doubt that anyone would hear about a rural community without access to health care and doubt it's underprivileged or underserved status.

I would have to say availability of resources in general: jobs, food, electricity, water, sanitation, etc. It's open to your interpretation as well. I really doubt that anyone would hear about a rural community without access to health care and doubt it's underprivileged or underserved status.

I use this definition for 'underserved':
http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/shortage/shortageareas/index.html
Medically Underserved Areas/Populations are areas or populations designated by HRSA as having: too few primary care providers, high infant mortality, high poverty and/or high elderly population.

Well I understand that, but does that mean the area can also be considered "underprivileged" is my question.

For the Lolz, I put in my address into that website:
In a Primary Care Health Professional Shortage Area: No
In a Mental Health Professional Shortage Area: No
In a Dental Care Health Professional Shortage Area: No
In a Medically Underserved Area/Population: Yes

Errr, what? Im assuming its just medically underserved since the hospital/trauma center is so far away.