Volunteer ideas to show commitment to the underserved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cCypheN

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what the common volunteer positions are that show medical schools that we have some sort of experience/commitment in serving the underserved. I am looking to get involved in a couple volunteer areas next semester and I am having trouble trying to find one that I can write off as underserved work.

Thank You,

Members don't see this ad.

Look at church groups, community centers, or organizations in your city/area that serve impoverished area. Google is your friend. Talk to your school or schools in the area.

In Chicago I was involved with the child advocacy center, free clinics, soup kitchens, and mentor groups for kiddos.

@cCypheN
Everything ChiDr mentioned is what you should do if you need to find something. I was able to volunteer with the Boys and Girls club for a few years in an urban area near my school and it was a great experience. That's something to consider!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The only other thing I would tell you is to find something that you want to do. You are not doing anyone a favor if you are going there because Medical School is making you do it. Find something that resonates with you because you need a good amount of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I was wondering what the common volunteer positions are that show medical schools that we have some sort of experience/commitment in serving the underserved. I am looking to get involved in a couple volunteer areas next semester and I am having trouble trying to find one that I can write off as underserved work.

Thank You,
Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for poor students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to reiterate what everyone already said, look into your local Food Bank. If you're in a big city, chances are there will be a TON of different things you could do there, just to break up the monotony. For instance my food bank has a community garden you can go help out, exercise, and learn some pretty neat gardening tips. I even got to go hang out with elementary kids to help the school provide them with meals for the summer. Most food banks also employ members from the community they serve so you'll get a chance to interact with people you normally wouldn't being in the college bubble. Every interview I've been to has asked about it and even got to use my experiences during a couple of MMIs.

TLDR: FOOD BANK. HELP PEOPLE. GAIN EXPERIENCE. INTERVIEW PREP. GOOD PLACE POINTS.

Reactions: 1 user
The only other thing I would tell you is to find something that you want to do. You are not doing anyone a favor if you are going there because Medical School is making you do it. Find something that resonates with you because you need a good amount of time.
This is so true, otherwise you are going into this with wrong spirit and energy and it will show one way or another.

Thank you all for the great ideas! This helped a lot.

Does it need to be medically related? I have several experiences that aren't medically related but serving the homeless food and etc. I cannot find any medically related opportunities in my area. The one I did find won't accept me as a volunteer because I am not a nurse or doctor.

Does it need to be medically related? I have several experiences that aren't medically related but serving the homeless food and etc. I cannot find any medically related opportunities in my area. The one I did find won't accept me as a volunteer because I am not a nurse or doctor.

There are multiple boxes to check.
-Physician shadowing
-Clinical experience
-Volunteer/community service (doesn’t need to be medicaally related)

Ok
There are multiple boxes to check.
-Physician shadowing
-Clinical experience
-Volunteer/community service (doesn’t need to be medicaally related)
Ok. Thanks! I already applied and have all of these but want to improve my application in case I need to reapply.

Ok

Ok. Thanks! I already applied and have all of these but want to improve my application in case I need to reapply.

Then you are good to go and just work on beefing up the app. Good luck.