Underrated Tips Prior to OMS-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we want to get into a competitive subspecialty should we zanki during the summer?

Also zanki vs lightyear? And is brocepholen no longer in the meta?

Members don't see this ad.

If we want to get into a competitive subspecialty should we zanki during the summer?

Maybe if that program is in North Dakota. Best to finish up biochem, sketchy micro, and the first 3 chapters of pathoma before orientation in M1 if you want to avoid primary care.

Reactions: 3 users

Spend the summer working out and enjoying life!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on doing research at the school im matriculating in during the summer.
Spend the summer working out and enjoying life!!!

Comparison will be one of your greatest enemies in first year. Don't be that person who goes around asking everyone what they got on their exam and then insisting on sharing what you got. 1) It's annoying. 2) You shouldn't base your amount of studying/academic self-worth on how your peers are doing/how much time your peers are putting in. "I passed" is my default response to pretty much everyone, and I think it's been good for my self-esteem lol.

Comparison will be one of your greatest enemies in first year. Don't be that person who goes around asking everyone what they got on their exam and then insisting on sharing what you got. 1) It's annoying. 2) You shouldn't base your amount of studying/academic self-worth on how your peers are doing/how much time your peers are putting in. "I passed" is my default response to pretty much everyone, and I think it's been good for my self-esteem lol.

I'd like to add that the only one you should be comparing yourself and competing against is yourself.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone!

I was recently accepted and I have ~5 months until orientation week. I was wondering if could receive some recommendations as to what I could be doing to further prepare myself for medical school to make the transition smoother. It could be life hacks, suggestions for books to read, skills to learn, etc. I just want to make sure that I'm using my time wisely and hopefully this can turn into a sticky thread for future matriculants to use. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

DO NOT pre study for med school. It is a complete waste of time, go spend the time you have enjoying life. Like others have said, get a hobby that you can continue in med school.

Make sure yo spend time working out or doing something physical every day. Even if it is just going for a hike or walk.... do it.

Oh and did I mention to just enjoy your time... except now looking at the dates med school has probably started for you!

In this case... get yourself some boards and beyond. Use it from the beginning and you will be golden.

Good luck.

Don’t be an entitled a**hole. Even if you manage a GPA high enough to qualify for sigma sigma phi, you are really not as special as you think you are. This is a team sport.

If I could go back in time I would focus less on arms/pecs/abs (the bro-plan) at the gym in the time leading up to med school & devote more time to my chicken legs. Not a lot, just enough to make them less tender-esk. When I go to the gym now I only want to do my favorite things, because I can't go as often, and I hate legs, so I don't do legs, which is exacerbating the chicken-ness of my breast-like legs. Sometimes I worry if someone might mistake my lower extremities as a wish bone whils't testing the internal/external rotation of my hip joint in OS lab, & alas, on that day, I will never be able to work legs again. For my wishbone-esk, poultry-looking' legs will be functional no more. I imagine I'd still go to the gym after this, but I'd be in a wheel chair while I recover, & what would I do at the gym? Correct. Not legs. This would even further exacerbate the problem.

Fastforward 15 years from now, I'm the head neurosurgeon at Harvard university. & this isn't surprising, because after the merger the DO's took over the medical world. Nobody knows what MDs are anymore. MD who? MD what? Anyways, I'm on a 10 hour surgery & my frail chicken legs snap from the the 15 years of continued neglect. Luckily, my now massive arms I have been working on since before medical school broke my fall & I proceeded to use them in place of my legs (much like spongebob squarepants at muscle beach), but unfortunately, I obliterated the brain aneurysm of the patient I was working on. He dies within minutes.

Afterwards, I put down the scalpel - the stethoscope too - & retire to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, where all the elderly of the United States go to die. But I'm not a happy elderly person, I'm a sad one. Because I am a disgraced neurosurgeon & it's all because I didn't lift legs the 6 months leading up to medical school.

#GetWoke
Well, the prophecy cannot be true, given your match results. Hopefully you'll have the chance to get leg reps in while reading images!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user