• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

songaila

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
I just wonder if there is any loan repayment program that is available for pods in underserved community.

I am interested in working in inner city regardless. However, it would be nice to know if somebody is willing to pay my loan.:D

D

Dr_Feelgood

I just wonder if there is any loan repayment program that is available for pods in underserved community.

I am interested in working in inner city regardless. However, it would be nice to know if somebody is willing to pay my loan.:D

There is the Native American Scholarship.

songaila

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
Well, I thought this is not "network 54". No need for the sarcastic comment.

If there is none or you don't know, just say so. You were "perspective student" once" right?

About the Ads

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2002
southern Illinois
Status (Visible)
I am pretty sure that some states such as north carolina and arkansas and probably more do have a repayment in exchange for a set amount of time of service in an underserved area. However if you want inner city then this would not be the way to go obviously.

songaila

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
It seems that the millitary does not "recognize" podiatrist as their "medical corp". I did research on the indian health reserve and I don't think they are hiring any podiatrists.

I am happy to join the podiatry group. However, I think that in general, the podiatrists are not treated as "physicians" in the real world. The millitary will pay for "dentist" loan or even "optometrist" loan. There is literally no job in the government field. I guess this is the few down side I find so far for podiatry.

I feel we need to post the good and the bad too. I hope the new residency can boost the image. Right now, I feel either there is not enough respect or there is not enough shortage for podiatrists.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
It seems that the millitary does not "recognize" podiatrist as their "medical corp". I did research on the indian health reserve and I don't think they are hiring any podiatrists.

I am happy to join the podiatry group. However, I think that in general, the podiatrists are not treated as "physicians" in the real world. The millitary will pay for "dentist" loan or even "optometrist" loan. There is literally no job in the government field. I guess this is the few down side I find so far for podiatry.

I feel we need to post the good and the bad too. I hope the new residency can boost the image. Right now, I feel either there is not enough respect or there is not enough shortage for podiatrists.

i heard the airforce and navy has scholarships.

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Southwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Those are some interesting comments from someone who is fairly new to the profession and most of it doesn't make much sense. Indian Health Services has plenty of positions for those who are interested. Why would you want or need to work for the government? How is that a bad thing? The military issue has been brought up before. No one is sure what their reasoning is but it has nothing to do with respect or saturation. It is kind of a catch 22 though because for every year they pay, they own you! You seem very concerned about someone else paying back your student loans.

Don't be mislead. Most doctors don't get much help paying back their student loans. And as for the opportunities out there, there are usually always strings attached. Podiatrists are very well respected within the medical community. Most podiatrists, as with every other doctor, get good paying jobs and pay back their own student loans.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Farmington Hills, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

I know that Illinois has a full tuition scholarship for people willing to practice in underserved areas of IL. At Scholl a few weeks ago, the IPMSA relayed the information to our classes that there were still a spot open for this Scholarship. You have to be a IL resident at the time of accepting this offer and must reside in this state.

funfeet

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
No military gives out scholarships for podiatrists. However, you can join and they do help pay back student loans. If you talk to a recruiter and they say you do fall under the HPSP (health professional scholarhips program) they are wrong and misinformed. However, I was told that they can help repay loans AFTER school. There is kind of a loop hole to get stuff paid for. I have a few emails from Air Force (maybe Army). PM me if you want to find out what they said regarding scholarships.

D

Dr_Feelgood

Well, I thought this is not "network 54". No need for the sarcastic comment.

If there is none or you don't know, just say so. You were "perspective student" once" right?

I realize that you are a perspective student and that is why we are here to help but saying silly things like this:

Will not get you help. It will make everyone think that you are here for more unscrupulous reasons. I just recieved an email about the AF looking for more pods. There is even a residency at Womack Army Base so there is need and respect for pods in the military. Two people at DMU in the Native American program.

There is need but don't come out looking for a fight if you are really here to learn.

songaila

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
After re-reading my post, I realize that my tone was really bad. I apologize to all. I am just anxious of the financial buden and the job prospect. Thank you all for the prompt reply.

About the Ads

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
After re-reading my post, I realize that my tone was really bad. I apologize to all. I am just anxious of the financial buden and the job prospect. Thank you all for the prompt reply.

Although the financial repayment is large, if it weren't worth it, there would be very few doctors of any kind.

My BF is an optometrist. She went to a school where tuition alone is 36,000K
She has no problem making her loan payments and paying for other bills. She even took a job at a VA (loves the patient pop) instead of one of many other offers which would have payed her about 45,000K more. It goes back to the idea of doing what you enjoy. The money is a bonus.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
My BF is an optometrist. She went to a school where tuition alone is 36,000KShe has no problem making her loan payments and paying for other bills. She even took a job at a VA (loves the patient pop) instead of one of many other offers which would have payed her about 45,000K more. It goes back to the idea of doing what you enjoy. The money is a bonus.

My sincere appologies but iam really confused. Plzz dont take it a wrong way. The BF you mentioned, is it best friend or Boy friend. because later you address your BF as She. So iam kind of confused.:confused:

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
My sincere appologies but iam really confused. Plzz dont take it a wrong way. The BF you mentioned, is it best friend or Boy friend. because later you address your BF as She. So iam kind of confused.:confused:

I don't really think it changes the content of the post, but I was referring to my female friend. :rolleyes:

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
I don't really think it changes the content of the post, but I was referring to my female friend. :rolleyes:

Yeah ofcourse it doesnt changes the content. But it was just our of curoisty.

Dr. Gangrene

AZPOD 2011
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
There is the Native American Scholarship.

I don't know if this works differently in different states, but I have to put out a warning about working on the reservation (at least in Arizona). I have 2 instances that lead to this post.

The first concerns a Physician assistant. He went to the reservation in Arizona, promised that after 3 years, his loans would be paid off. He stayed all 3 years, but not even a dime was paid off. I thought this might just be a single case, but I later ran across another guy (a doc) who said the same thing happened to him.

Both told me the indians have their own government and laws, and that federal laws don't apply, so they get away w/ gettting docs to come w/ promise of loan repayment and never paying up.

Now, this is from the horses mouth so to speak of 2 practitioners. One is a personal friend, the other is someone I met in my line of work.

Again, this is not from personal experience. My first source is someone I fully trust, and the second gave me no reason not to believe him (especially since his story was the same as my friend).

Has anyone else heard of this type of thing?

D

Dr_Feelgood

Both told me the indians have their own government and laws, and that federal laws don't apply, so they get away w/ gettting docs to come w/ promise of loan repayment and never paying up.

I would not worry if I was in the program b/c it is a department of health and human services program. That makes me wonder about what the root of the problem really was.

iyyi

10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Native American Tribes do have their government and they also have their own courts. Most tribes, at least federally recognized tribes, are sovereign nations. If you do sign a contractual agreement/scholarship to repay or pay your tuiton, loans, etc. then it is legally binding just as if it were in any other court. So did they actually sign a contract or just promised? IHS is part of the federal government so I doubt this is what they applied for.

To clarify, with the Indian Health Scholarship you do not have to work on a reservation. You can work for any tribe in the country and even travel to different tribes each year if you so wish. You also may work in private practice as long as you treat 51% Native Americans or work for Indian Health Services and be placed in an underserved area. Also, all tribes aren't on reservations, at least not from my home state.

IlizaRob

IlizaRob-erator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

This is true about having their own government. I am from arizona and I have to tell you, its very frustrating that this exists. My wife's cousin was shot in the head at a traffic light by two members of the reservation. It was a gang initiation. The police said that there was little they could do because they jumped back into the reservation. Its like going to a different country. The only thing that law enforcement was able to do is ask the reservation police to help with the investigation. Nothing was done. Justice is halted by an imaginary line.

In any event, it just doesnt surprise me that this happend.

D

Dr_Feelgood

This is true about having their own government. I am from arizona and I have to tell you, its very frustrating that this exists. My wife's cousin was shot in the head at a traffic light by two members of the reservation. It was a gang initiation. The police said that there was little they could do because they jumped back into the reservation. Its like going to a different country. The only thing that law enforcement was able to do is ask the reservation police to help with the investigation. Nothing was done. Justice is halted by an imaginary line.

In any event, it just doesnt surprise me that this happend.

What should have been down is if there was enough evidence the two suspects should have been tried in the Arizona court system. Then if they ever leave the reservation, they will be picked up and go directly to jail. They would not pass go b/c they do not need to be present to be convicted. Ask Roman Polanski.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.