Underserved scholarship for a new mom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laceigh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm at major crossroads in my life. Having just finished undergrad, I found out I'm pregnant (which husband and I are excited about, but also stressed about the future). I've always wanted to be a dentist, but the 3-4K debt frightens me like crazy. Knowing that a $100K/year dentist brings in about 5K/month after taxes/fees, I can't fathom paying 3K/month in loans for the next 30 years... what if I have to take a leave of absense? Family/kids obligations? Lol sometimes I think how much easier life would be if I were the husband.

Lately, I've been thinking about how nurses make 60-90K/year, and can graduate with no debt.

Anyway, my question is, do any of you know students who have received the dental school scholarship that requires one to repay by serving in an underserved area? I know those are extremely competitive. Specifically, how can the recipients show that they're committed to the underserved populations? I feel like this type of scholarship is my only chance of reaching my career goal.

Also, any dental school/dentist moms out there that have any words of wisdom about any of this?

Thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Become a dental hygienist. Similar pay as an RN and it's still in dentistry.

There are between 5-10 moms in our dental school class at Indiana University. The debt diminishes greatly once you graduate. It is def doable. Don't compensate your dreams because of financial concerns

Members don't see this ad :)
Many years ago, those underserved scholarships used to pay all your dental school tuition 3-4 years!!! It was later cut back to 1 year max. In return you promise to not specialize and serve in an underserve area five years after graduation. Like the secret SEAL stealth helicopter program, no one will admit its existence or how it's distributed and who gets it. It's not something you fill out an application for at the financial office.

You can do dental hygiene at many community colleges very cheaply and make very good, sometimes ridiculously high, wages upon graduation.

I dont think you are doing your math right. Sure you might start at 100K, but 5-10 yrs later you should be up around the average of 185,000. Would say at least past 150,000. At this point you will be having less difficulty with that loan payment.

I guess its a questions of how long you see yourself working

Is this what you're referring to?

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/

No. Your link refer to working for community health centers and getting $30K/year repayment as part of your benefit package. The other one pay all your tuition for 3-4 years while in school and you can practically work anywhere as long as in it's in primary care.

I dont think you are doing your math right. Sure you might start at 100K, but 5-10 yrs later you should be up around the average of 185,000. Would say at least past 150,000. At this point you will be having less difficulty with that loan payment.

I guess its a questions of how long you see yourself working

The one variable that you didn't take into consideration with those (often very realistic) income estimates is how many hours per week will she consider practicing?? (and this is an issue that is facing dentistry as it's demographics change from what USED to be a heavily male dominated profession to a profession that nowadays graduates close to a 50/50 ratio from d-school.

If you look at working statistics, most women, for a whole slew of reasons end up working on average less hours per week than their male cohorts of similiar age. Most wage data may not take that into account. So that wage data may apply to someone 10 years out work 4+ days a week, but she might only want to work 2-3 days a week and work at her other "job", the incredibly rewarding but underpaying (monetarily atleast) job of being a mom. ;)

That being said, there are lots and lots and lots of young mom's in this profession who often quite quickly find that balance between income and family and have long happy careers in dentistry

Hi, I totally understand your position. It can be hard if you're doing everything (dental school, home, kids, etc.) and once you've become a dentist, the hours, loan payments, home, kids...

I've read a lot about the topic lately and I've found that dental hygienists make a good living (up to $65,00 per year) and they have very flexible schedules - workind by appointment only, and they are in demand (one of they highest growing careers). You can be done with school in just a few years and not have a huge loan to pay afterwards.

I don't know where you're living right now, but it could be a good idea to find out if dental hygienists can find a job easily in your area. I would suggest you start by searching in DentalHygienistJobs.org and see if you can find anything interesting. If you do, you could be on your way to a career in the field you were interested in, but without the problems.

However, if you have your heart set on being a dentist, go for it... if you do what you love, everything else falls into place.

You could always join the military. You get a stipend and nearly all dental school costs are paid or reimbursed. We had a baby just before school and that's what I did to make the dream a reality.

Thanks, everyone for taking my post seriously and understanding. I've considered RDH, but in a major Northern CA city, it's nearly impossible to find a job right now. My aunt is an RDH, and after a year or so of searching for a job, she finally found one working 2 days a week, though she would love to work more. I keep researching and many people say that rural areas are great for RDH jobs, but husband's career makes us pretty much immobile (that's the problem with me joining the military also, wodehouse... but it's wonderful how that worked out for you).

I've been working hard throughout all undergrad, earning a 3.9 gpa at a great univ, ok ecs, LORs collected, and just when I was about to graduate, the $/pregnancy/family reasoning made everything go crazy.

I'm pretty set on abandoning the dental dream alltogether at this point, and looking at PA, RN (similar pay to RDH, but no shortage of jobs + upwards mobility), or medical technology. I've cancelled my graduation and will be taking several more classes to complete the prereqs for those programs (haven't chosen which one yet). It's crazy how your whole worldview can change in a couple of weeks.

I mean, if I were the husband, I would definitely joyfully keep pursuing dentistry. But the bottom line is that I want a career that won't keep me chained to huge debt, limiting opportunities to be a mom to kids when desired/needed. (@DrJeff, you got it right on, lol.) If the debt was out of the question, that would be ideal.. but from what I understand it's extremely competitive and only the best philanthropists of students get the NHSC scholarship.

And, yeah, I know I should've done the financial research a long, long time ago, but the harsh aspects of dental school just didn't hit me until I was standing right at the brink of it. I've been way too focused on getting a good GPA and the positive aspects of dentistry until now.

Thanks, everyone for taking my post seriously and understanding. I've considered RDH, but in a major Northern CA city, it's nearly impossible to find a job right now. My aunt is an RDH, and after a year or so of searching for a job, she finally found one working 2 days a week, though she would love to work more. I keep researching and many people say that rural areas are great for RDH jobs, but husband's career makes us pretty much immobile (that's the problem with me joining the military also, wodehouse... but it's wonderful how that worked out for you).

I've been working hard throughout all undergrad, earning a 3.9 gpa at a great univ, ok ecs, LORs collected, and just when I was about to graduate, the $/pregnancy/family reasoning made everything go crazy.

I'm pretty set on abandoning the dental dream alltogether at this point, and looking at PA, RN (similar pay to RDH, but no shortage of jobs + upwards mobility), or medical technology. I've cancelled my graduation and will be taking several more classes to complete the prereqs for those programs (haven't chosen which one yet). It's crazy how your whole worldview can change in a couple of weeks.

I mean, if I were the husband, I would definitely joyfully keep pursuing dentistry. But the bottom line is that I want a career that won't keep me chained to huge debt, limiting opportunities to be a mom to kids when desired/needed. (@DrJeff, you got it right on, lol.) If the debt was out of the question, that would be ideal.. but from what I understand it's extremely competitive and only the best philanthropists of students get the NHSC scholarship.

If you really want to become a dentist, you should go for it! It's 4 grueling years of your life but then you get to be a dentist and you can pay that loan back.

I am 39, 2 kids, mortgage and an RDH. I am hoping against all hope that I get into dental school next year. We are making supreme sacrifices to make it happen because, this is my dream and I can't let it go nor make any more excuses as to why I shouldn't.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

There are between 5-10 moms in our dental school class at Indiana University. The debt diminishes greatly once you graduate. It is def doable. Don't compensate your dreams because of financial concerns

Hi Doc Smile,

Is there any *Dad* in your class? I'm a dad with 3 kids and I'm thinking of applying for dental school. I'm curious how these moms handle school and family life.

Thanks!

Hi Doc Smile,

Is there any *Dad* in your class? I'm a dad with 3 kids and I'm thinking of applying for dental school. I'm curious how these moms handle school and family life.

Thanks!

My friend was a dad with two infants while attending USC. His daily commute from home to school was at least two hours.