Understanding Deferral Policies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medasez

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has been in this situation before, but if I were to get a 1 year deferral for a US medical school to complete my masters, are the binding policies of a deferral only concern US medical schools? I wanted to apply to US schools a year earlier so I don't have to take my MCAT again (expiring) and for early assurance, given I get the acceptance and deferral of course. Then I will apply to Canadian schools during the deferred year, and if I get an offer I will accept the Canadian one. If not I continue with my deferred acceptance offer. Hope that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Deferral policies vary from school to school. You might be given a deferral to complete an academic program.

It's a bad idea to take an offer of acceptance, request a deferral then try to apply and go to another school. It probably wouldn't look good at schools you're applying to and I imagine the school you're accepted to would rescind your acceptance if they found out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The school will give you terms of conditions for the deferral. They generally do not permit a re-application.

Yup most don't permit re-application via AMCAS, but does this policy hold true to applying to other countries? (Ireland, Canada, Australia, etc)

Deferral policies vary from school to school. You might be given a deferral to complete an academic program.

It's a bad idea to take an offer of acceptance, request a deferral then try to apply and go to another school. It probably wouldn't look good at schools you're applying to and I imagine the school you're accepted to would rescind your acceptance if they found out.

I am planning on re-applying to Canadian schools via OMSAS, not AMCAS, so can I do that without repercussions? (After getting a US med school deferral)

I am planning on re-applying to Canadian schools via OMSAS, not AMCAS, so can I do that without repercussions? (After getting a US med school deferral)

sounds unethical
the school grants a deferral based on a mutual agreement that you would go there. So by reapplying behind the school’s back, aren’t you breaking that promise????

Can dragon fire kill the Night King? Can I write an article bashing Chapman points and get into DO schools? Who could say?

I get the feeling no one's ever tried, certainly not mentioned it publicly just due to the general improbability of those things happening at all at once.

I'm just saying I think it's a bad idea were you to do it. I would imagine the AAMC has some sort of agreement with the Canadian society that runs their stuff so you probably will not be able to say you were never accepted or applied to any US schools without getting caught. It's also just a bad idea, you have the acceptance, you got a deferral. Don't push your luck.

Yup most don't permit re-application via AMCAS, but does this policy hold true to applying to other countries? (Ireland, Canada, Australia, etc)
The contract is unlikely to specify an application system but rather would exclude a re-application to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users