Understanding secondaries and LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ServiceFirst

MS1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around, if someone could point me in the correct direction/thread, but I have a question regarding secondaries and LOR's.

When exactly do medical schools begin reading LOR's to evaluate applicant's? Do they begin when primaries are first transmitted and received? Or do they begin reading LOR's once secondaries are submitted? I'm just inquiring because I will have my primary submitted by the end of June, but unsure when exactly I should push for all my LOR's to be completed by my writers by.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you asked for them? If not do it now and say you want them by July 1. Many people ask for earlier dates but if you are just asking...You won't be marked complete at the schools until your letters are in. And at this time of year you may have a hard time tracking down your writers. I have no idea when they read the letters.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
It varies widely by school on when and how they consider your letters. generally it is done about the same time they start doing secondaries. While AMCAS timetable was originally designed around committee letters not arriving until after start of Fall term, letters in by July 15th would be before early, August 1st very early, Sept 1st early. Letters thar dont arrive until end of Sept would have little to no impact on admission chances. you dont get in because letters are early; you get in because letters are good

Thanks for the explanation! Just to clarify, do many medical schools send a secondary application first prior to reviewing LOR's?