Understanding the US health care system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monika12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know nada about the health care system here, the only American doctors I met are the people I say hi to in the hospital :D

What books would you recommend to read to understand the history of the system but also and especially the current system, the issues and the news (like Obama care)

Members don't see this ad.

I am a family practitioner practicing in Fremont CA since 1992. I serve a huge indigent population of mixed ethnic groups. I have to warn the new student that are planing to get to primary care medicine. Talking good about serving people is one thing but delivering it is different. The new health care system does not leave any room for me to practice the passion of medicine. The essence of helping patients for us is time and peace of mind. With the new changes in health care both are lacking and is getting more and more crunched. Medi-cal of California pays $21.00 for a 15 min office visit. This is only for face to face management and half of it gets wasted looking at computer monitor instead of patient. With the new requirement of EMR it takes another 5-10 min charting and satisfying many elements in the notes that have no meaningful benefit for patients well being. With spending 25 min on the patients management for only $21.00 there would be no peace of mind nor time time to deliver world class medicine to the patients. Dr Ebrahim Ahmadi.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shall you want an actual book (the websites mentioned by @NickNaylor would work just as well), I would suggest the Healthcare Handbook by Nathan Moore and Elisabeth Askin. They were in medical school when the first edition of the book was published, so the language is perfect for pre-meds. They keep it simple and divide the book into large sections (spoiler: one entire section is dedicated to the Affordable Care Act).

It's easily found on Amazon.

I admit I am only halfway through it, but thus far it's been a very informational read. It's definitely a good way to get a shallow, broad understanding of many topics in healthcare today.

Reactions: 2 users
It also wouldn't hurt to read about health systems that work within the United States that are different but successful. Kaiser and Mayo come to mind.

America's Bitter Pill is also the book of the year on healthcare.

I am a family practitioner practicing in Fremont CA since 1992. I serve a huge indigent population of mixed ethnic groups. I have to warn the new student that are planing to get to primary care medicine. Talking good about serving people is one thing but delivering it is different. The new health care system does not leave any room for me to practice the passion of medicine. The essence of helping patients for us is time and peace of mind. With the new changes in health care both are lacking and is getting more and more crunched. Medi-cal of California pays $21.00 for a 15 min office visit. This is only for face to face management and half of it gets wasted looking at computer monitor instead of patient. With the new requirement of EMR it takes another 5-10 min charting and satisfying many elements in the notes that have no meaningful benefit for patients well being. With spending 25 min on the patients management for only $21.00 there would be no peace of mind nor time time to deliver world class medicine to the patients. Dr Ebrahim Ahmadi.
you just going to post the same paragraph in as many threads as possible? this is 4 in the last 5 minutes

http://www.cato.org/research/health-care

Libertarian (yeah, I know surprise from me) thinktank that posts some great articles and research on various topics in government and economics, that link is to their health section. I'd also recommend you read from other sources as well, it's important to understand what all major sources are proposing so you have some idea what you are saying when you open your mouth