UNE Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainClimber94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to take pre-requisites through UNE Online? I have to retake a number of pre-requisites and while I was searching for a place to take them I stumbled upon UNE. Do DO schools accept pre-requisites that were taken online?? I know they take other courses from online programs that are accredited but I've never asked about pre-requisites.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I suck at online courses, so I stay away from them like the plague. But I have looked into taking a few and decided against it. What you do is you go to the student portal of the college you are planning to apply to and click transfer equivalent, and put in the school you want to transfer from and it will generate a list of courses that they will accept from that specific school. It is really easy to figure out what they accept as TE courses.

I haven't stumbled across any school that accepts online labs in place or brick and mortar. However, not every school differentiates their online campus from the rest, so you might be okay if the transcript and/or conflicts in employment and schooling don't reflect the online portion.

There are reputable schools that offer online degree programs but, in general, you'll want to take your science classes at a brick and mortar school, even if it's a community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone tried to take pre-requisites through UNE Online? I have to retake a number of pre-requisites and while I was searching for a place to take them I stumbled upon UNE. Do DO schools accept pre-requisites that were taken online?? I know they take other courses from online programs that are accredited but I've never asked about pre-requisites.

I attended a UCSF med schools admission workshop and they said they would not accept any prerequisite courses taken online.

Also a nontrad here. I've taken about 3 courses through UNE (Both bio' s and Chemistry II) the rest were taken at my local CC. From what I hear, DO schools are more lenient with online prereqs and a select few MD programs. Know what you're getting yourself into when you choose this route. I've already accepted the fact that I will be limited by choice, but in my circumstance it's probably my best option. I'll definitely keep this board updated when it's time to apply.

I took chemistry at UNE online. I wouldn't do it again. It's expensive first of all and you have to buy a lab pack for another $300 if you are taking the lab component. You don't learn anything from the lab part and you really don't learn much through the course because it's recorded. The final exam was four-hours open book but was surprisingly incredibly hard. If you are taking this course and then presumably plan on taking the MCAT, that would be a huge mistake. If you are taking the course just to meet a requirement, then it's a convenient option.

My only recommendation for online pre-req courses through UNE is take them if you are going the Caribbean route where MCAT scores are not really important. All Caribbean schools will take online work from UNE. I can verify SGU, Ross, UMHS, MUA, Saba, and AUA. How do I know, I applied to all of them at one point with UNE online courses.

My advice is don't do it if you can take it in person somewhere.

A lot of universities do not accept a large portion of these courses as TE. (at least in Texas)

Reactions: 1 user

Just about every DO school accepts them and the majority of MD programs do as well, though some view them as less desirable. It's unquestionably better to take them as a brick and mortar, but do what you have to do. Taking online may close some doors, but not taking them at all will close almost every door.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,
Thinking about taking Gen Chem 2 through UNE, was wondering if you could give me some feedback on the course. Thankyou.