Program-Specific Info / Q's UNE OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotte17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten an interview yet for the Fall 2015 class? When is it scheduled for, and what is it like?

Members don't see this ad.

I got invited for an interview on Oct 31 at 8:00 AM. The email said to get there at 7:30 and to expect to be there until around 3:30. Has anyone already been to an OT interview at UNE?

Last edited:
I got invited for the interview too! I'm super excited but also so nervous. I'm wondering what kind of writing sample they want? I have no idea if it'll relate to OT or if it is completely random. @kls377 have you ever been to Portland? This will be my first time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you that got interviews can you please post your stats. I'm just now considering UNE ... Thanks!

I got invited for the interview too! I'm super excited but also so nervous. I'm wondering what kind of writing sample they want? I have no idea if it'll relate to OT or if it is completely random. @kls377 have you ever been to Portland? This will be my first time!

I have been there once and really liked it! I have a few friends who currently live there. From what I've heard, it sounds like the writing sample will likely not be related directly to OT. Of course, I'm not sure about that. Where are you coming from?

I got an interview for Oct. 31st at 8am too!! I was actually up there last weekend (from NJ) because my friend had an interview there for the PT program. Portland is fantastic!!! I absolutely loved it! Its a very small, very clean, and very safe city. It is super cold, but Maine is BEAUTIFUL. The people are so nice and there is so much to do! lots of islands to explore, fishing, 20+ breweries, lots of great restaurants, spas, little coffee shops etc. There is also a large art community and what I liked best is there are barley any chains besides Starbucks... very unique place. The UNE campus is about 3 miles outside of Portland and it was a 15min drive... in rush hour, with stop lights... which is nothing because the population is so low. IDK about OT but the PT writing sample was "What do you consider to be good qualities in a leader" in 50 words or less... not to bad at all.

Whew, that writing sample doesn't seem so bad! Even if it isn't that prompt, it sounds like I'm stressing over nothing. I'm from Philadelphia and am planning on flying to Boston and then driving up to Portland. I'd like to check out the area the day before so I can get a feel for the town! @futureOTsj my stats are:

GPA: 3.17 (I wish I could go back to my first few semesters of college and give myself a little kick in the butt)
Prerequisite GPA: Varies. 3.5 - 3.7ish
MAT: 405 (Not required for UNE)
220 Observation hours at 4 different facilities
250+ Volunteer hours during/after college

@kls377 where are you from?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @herky12! How early did you apply? My stats are similar to yours but haven't submitted yet..

Good luck on your interview!

I got an interview for Oct. 31st at 8am too!! I was actually up there last weekend (from NJ) because my friend had an interview there for the PT program. Portland is fantastic!!! I absolutely loved it! Its a very small, very clean, and very safe city. It is super cold, but Maine is BEAUTIFUL. The people are so nice and there is so much to do! lots of islands to explore, fishing, 20+ breweries, lots of great restaurants, spas, little coffee shops etc. There is also a large art community and what I liked best is there are barley any chains besides Starbucks... very unique place. The UNE campus is about 3 miles outside of Portland and it was a 15min drive... in rush hour, with stop lights... which is nothing because the population is so low. IDK about OT but the PT writing sample was "What do you consider to be good qualities in a leader" in 50 words or less... not to bad at all.

Did your friend say anything else about the PT interview process? I'm curious to know how many people might be there, whether most of the people wore business professional attire, the general atmosphere of the interview, that kind of thing. Of course I'm sure the numbers could be completely different for OT.

kerky12 I'm fromNorth Carolina but have been thinking about moving up north for a while. I don't have a lot of choices for OT that I'm excited about down here. I haven't bought a ticket yet but I plan on flying into Portland on Wednesday and hopefully also spending the weekend up there to get a feel for it.

Yes, for PT they have about 6 interview sessions with 50 people at each section. They are split into groups and take turns doing an interview, the writing sample, a tour, and a student panel question/answer session. They also offer a lunch or breakfast depending on your time. Everyone wears suits, or at least should. I already had an interview for and OTD program somewhere else and I have a dark purple skirt suit. Definitely buy a suit either pants or a skirt to the knee and not too fitted. Also, wear flats or small wedges, you need to look professional, practical, simple, and neat. VERY simple jewelry. I wore just my watch and stud pearls. I have no idea how the OT is set up however, I assume it is very similar.

Yes, for PT they have about 6 interview sessions with 50 people at each section. They are split into groups and take turns doing an interview, the writing sample, a tour, and a student panel question/answer session. They also offer a lunch or breakfast depending on your time. Everyone wears suits, or at least should. I already had an interview for and OTD program somewhere else and I have a dark purple skirt suit. Definitely buy a suit either pants or a skirt to the knee and not too fitted. Also, wear flats or small wedges, you need to look professional, practical, simple, and neat. VERY simple jewelry. I wore just my watch and stud pearls. I have no idea how the OT is set up however, I assume it is very similar.

Great, thanks for the info. This is my first interview for an OT school. I have a pants suit I was planning to wear.. just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be overdressed compared to everyone else and sounds like I won't be. Good luck!

you can never be over dressed or over education!

I also got an interview for the 31st! Does anyone know if this is the first set of interviews for this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received an interview for oct 31st! I attended last year and it was very simple set up. It started wit an info session and a roup activity. Te writin sample was very easy and tey ave us about a 30 mins. UNE provided lunc and ten we took a tour, talked to current students, and a private interview wit a faculty.
(Sorry for my spellin- some of my keys dont work!)

Hi everyone. I also received an interview at UNE on October 31st. I'm not sure if I will be attending the interview because of a discrepancy with my Neuroscience pre-req (requires a lab but I didnt take a lab BUT I took Neuroanatomy w/ lab). Does anyone know if they do Skype interviews? I would have to fly from San Jose, CA to attend this interview and oh man the tickets are pricey for flight+hotel+car rental.. but anyways. Here are my stats...

Cumulative GPA: 3.45
Last 60 GPA: 3.77
BA Psychology
Volunteer experience: 100 sub-acute adult/geriatric facility, 40 hand therapy, 20 hours adult brain injury center
Paid experience: 6 months ABA tutor, 250+ early intervention and adolescent aide at speech and OT clinic

Hopefully the Neuroanatomy lab will cover for the Neuroscience lab.. and if so, I'll see some of you there! Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone. I also received an interview at UNE on October 31st. I'm not sure if I will be attending the interview because of a discrepancy with my Neuroscience pre-req (requires a lab but I didnt take a lab BUT I took Neuroanatomy w/ lab). Does anyone know if they do Skype interviews? I would have to fly from San Jose, CA to attend this interview and oh man the tickets are pricey for flight+hotel+car rental.. but anyways. Here are my stats...

Cumulative GPA: 3.45
Last 60 GPA: 3.77
BA Psychology
Volunteer experience: 100 sub-acute adult/geriatric facility, 40 hand therapy, 20 hours adult brain injury center
Paid experience: 6 months ABA tutor, 250+ early intervention and adolescent aide at speech and OT clinic

Hopefully the Neuroanatomy lab will cover for the Neuroscience lab.. and if so, I'll see some of you there! Best of luck to everyone!

Hey! I'm from San Jose, ca too! Where did you take neuroanatomy. I spoke to a counselor and they accepted my nueroanatomy from SJSU.

Hey! I'm from San Jose, ca too! Where did you take neuroanatomy. I spoke to a counselor and they accepted my nueroanatomy from SJSU.

Hi futureOTsj,

Sweet!! I took Neuroanatomy at SJSU too. Are you going to the interview?

@FutureOT8 No I will be submitting my apps at the end of the week. Good luck to you! Are you still at SJSU?

@FutureOT8 Nice! Were you in the unfortunate position as I was when they discontinued the BS OT program?

I also received an interview for oct 31st! I attended last year and it was very simple set up. It started wit an info session and a roup activity. Te writin sample was very easy and tey ave us about a 30 mins. UNE provided lunc and ten we took a tour, talked to current students, and a private interview wit a faculty.
(Sorry for my spellin- some of my keys dont work!)
About how many people would you say were at the interview last year?

I had my interview yesterday and it was very relaxed. The process was pretty long but I believe they do a good job at analyzing all the applicants on many different levels. I firmly believe UNE's program is not about just grades but really looks at the person and how well they get along with others. Message me for any questions!

Has anybody heard back from them yet? I was at the 10/31 interview and haven't gotten a response yet. Am I the only one?

Has anybody heard back from them yet? I was at the 10/31 interview and haven't gotten a response yet. Am I the only one?

I have not heard back yet either... I guess tomorrow will be the day.

For those of you with interviews, was this the first round of interviews?

Thanks @almichael15! I wish you guys luck!

When did you submit to OTCAS? and how fast was the time between being verified and getting an email/ call for an interview. I just submitted last week and verification seems to be faster so I'm hoping for a call from UNE.

Did anyone hear back today?! Im (im)patiently awaiting an email but havent received one yet!

Did anyone hear back today?! Im (im)patiently awaiting an email but havent received one yet!

I didn't either... Frustrating since they said two weeks would be the max time.

Iim surprised because last year they were exactly 2 weeks with results

Thanks @almichael15! I wish you guys luck!

When did you submit to OTCAS? and how fast was the time between being verified and getting an email/ call for an interview. I just submitted last week and verification seems to be faster so I'm hoping for a call from UNE.
I submitted 9/25 and was verified 10/15. I then received my invitation for my interview on 10/17.

Hey guys, I did get an email yesterday with a pdf of the letter they are sending in the mail. I got accepted. :) The deposit has to be paid by December 1st, which is 2 weeks from Monday, so I'm guessing that most of the letters will be sent this coming Monday. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Any news? I emailed Laurie late Friday afternoon asking if there was a delay. She just emailed me back saying she's sorry for the delay and that she'll email me as soon as there is a decision letter. No idea what that means though...

I'm sorry to hear that @almichael15 but it's better than being rejected! If you don't mind can you share your stats?

I'm sorry to hear that @almichael15 but it's better than being rejected! If you don't mind can you share your stats?
Sure!
Major: Health Promotion Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.45
Prereq GPA: 3.4-3.5 i haven't taken sociology or fulfilled the neuroscience class yet
Observation hours: 164 in 5 different types of settings
GRE: not required

Thank you. Do you know what rank you are on the wait list?

Portland is one of the best small cities in the country. It's a bit cold, but the night life is reasonably good and the culture is excellent.

I emailed her this afternoon and got a response a little while later saying I was waitlisted as well. Lets keep our fingers crossed that the waitlist moves quickly! Would love to have known where I stood on the wait list though

I'm sorry to hear that you've been wait listed. But it still gives you the opportunity to move into the class. Good luck to you all!

I was wondering of those who have been wait listed if you could list your stats. Please and thank you!

To everyone that is waitlisted, stay hopeful! Last Monday I was initially waitlisted but moved up and was accepted into the program on Friday! I will be paying my down payment to secure my spot while waiting on my number one choice. Good luck to you all!

Congrats @FutureOT8! I hope we can become classmates!

Question, how long did it take you to hear from UNE after being verified?

To those of you who were waitlisted: I was accepted but it looks like I will not be able to make the move to Maine. I will give UNE my final decision within the next week. Hopefully this will move one of you into the program!

Congrats @FutureOT8! I hope we can become classmates!

Question, how long did it take you to hear from UNE after being verified?
Thank you! My OTCAS verified on 10/17 and they received my app on 10/22 and invited me to interview the next day.

Good luck to you!

Thanks @FutureOT8. Was it via email or phone? I was verified 11/14 but have not heard anything from them.

Thanks @FutureOT8. Was it via email or phone? I was verified 11/14 but have not heard anything from them.
Via e-mail. I think they wont send invitations for the next round of interviews until after December 5 because that is the deadline for the down payment. And whoever doesn't pay will be automatically dropped so they'll be able to select how many people and who to interview by then.

This is really helpful! Thank you!