UNECOM Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang, looks like I started this thread too late. :laugh:

Wook

Wook, you are a total nerd. Hope that your residency is going well. I cant wait to start school this August. Any tips you got for me? Thanks man. Take care.
-Rob

Wook, you are a total nerd. Hope that your residency is going well. I cant wait to start school this August. Any tips you got for me? Thanks man. Take care.
-Rob

Rob:

The only tip right now, would be to take some time off and enjoy yourself before school starts. Once school starts, feel free to ask any us folks that have been through the programs for specific tips as each person ends up with different questions.

The only other tip is to make time for yourself each week once school starts to relax and smell the roses. This will be challenging at times, but will help you to keep things in perspective.

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
Woooo, UNECOM 2006!

Are you melting down there or what, Wook?

Here is my tip: Do not do an internship if there is any way to possibly avoid it.

Woooo, UNECOM 2006!

Are you melting down there or what, Wook?

Here is my tip: Do not do an internship if there is any way to possibly avoid it.

Tis warming up quite quickly down here.

Hang in there!!!!! Only 3-4 months and then you are doing what you really want to do. Do you get the chance to do a month of rads during internship?

Wook

I did get a month. Of course, it was at the very beginning of the year. Oh well, looking forward to July in a big way.

Any info on the 2007 UNECOM match????

Please let me know if you hear anything back about this as I would be curious.

Wook

You'd think the school would have let us know by now....TCOM had their list posted hours after the match. grumble ....grumble....

I just started a new forum...hopefully we'll get some feedback.

ah, wook
twas just awhile ago when we shared the cadaver in pod 4.
how is your residency going? i'm about to finish my internship down here then going to join you in EM, only down here in Tejas mi amigo.
peace out

ps, did you grow your hair out?

ah, wook
twas just awhile ago when we shared the cadaver in pod 4.
how is your residency going? i'm about to finish my internship down here then going to join you in EM, only down here in Tejas mi amigo.
peace out

ps, did you grow your hair out?

Duuuude!!

You've got to be psyched about starting EM and finishing your internship. Congratulations!!

Actually, kept the locks short. It's easier when you are on call. You never look disheveled.

Pod 4 and anatomy seem so long ago...but then again, we had no salary back then. We may not be getting paid much, but at least we have an income now!!

Wook

Members don't see this ad :)
John Wook and Mr Radiology man, whats up fellow 2006ers?
In just a short time I will be intubating left and right.
I am seriously jealous of John and Gerry, no more friggin call, wish I could say that, I seriously loathe call.
I cant complain much this month, this month has been real nice.

Redwings if you are just starting school this year I have two words for you, Wook you know those two words so go ahead and say them......

Redwings if you are just starting school this year I have two words for you, Wook you know those two words so go ahead and say them......

Hey MeaCulpa, what would those two words be? I am starting in August so I am looking for any advice you got to give. Thanks.
-Rob

John Wook and Mr Radiology man, whats up fellow 2006ers?
In just a short time I will be intubating left and right.
I am seriously jealous of John and Gerry, no more friggin call, wish I could say that, I seriously loathe call.
I cant complain much this month, this month has been real nice.

Hey Mea!

Call can be a definite drag. On OB right now, caught one on my first day.

Looking forward to being done with call by the time I'm done with 2nd year.

Wook

Come on Wook you know me better than that by now

the two words are

NOTE SERVICE

Thats all you need Redwings, and plenty of relaxation time.
Seriously though, I feel like I actually had more time during my first two years than I have had since, so enjoy the first two years.

Come on Wook you know me better than that by now

the two words are

NOTE SERVICE

Thats all you need Redwings, and plenty of relaxation time.
Seriously though, I feel like I actually had more time during my first two years than I have had since, so enjoy the first two years.

Oh alright, but I thought that was one word (noteservice). But I do agree, noteservice is your friend!!

Wook

you know i finally got my yearbook. i think they sent it to my old address or something, i ended up calling and they sent one right away.
aww the old memories.
definately glad to be in EM. if i am never on call again it will be way to soon, and getting calls or paged in the middle of the night for tylenol has to be the bane of my existence. glad to never have call again.
i never used noteservice i just used emedicine.com to make my set of objectives or fill in the objectives they provided.

you know i finally got my yearbook. i think they sent it to my old address or something, i ended up calling and they sent one right away.
aww the old memories.
definately glad to be in EM. if i am never on call again it will be way to soon, and getting calls or paged in the middle of the night for tylenol has to be the bane of my existence. glad to never have call again.
i never used noteservice i just used emedicine.com to make my set of objectives or fill in the objectives they provided.

JTS:

Tylenol orders are definitely a drag when you've been without sleep for 20+ hours. I still have some off service months for this year, so call is still in my future, but I agree it will be nice to never have to do it again!

The delay in year book is pretty funny. They must have had your old address as I got my yearbook about 8 months ago.

Take care.

Wook

Glad to hear things are going well Wook and John with the ED world. No call would be nice because the Tylenol calls are especially bad in peds. How was your year at Bay, John? -Andrew

Glad to hear things are going well Wook and John with the ED world. No call would be nice because the Tylenol calls are especially bad in peds. How was your year at Bay, John? -Andrew

wasn't that bad, call was the only thing that sucked. other than that i think it was a breeze. there was a new program director that kind of rubbed everyone the wrong way, and i think that he was too ambitious for such a small hospital.
you up in ohio? how's the fam?

So the new program director was trying to make it a bigger program then it was? It's a nice enough small hospital though...

yep, up in OH and so far enjoying things, just busy. How's the kid?

So the new program director was trying to make it a bigger program then it was? It's a nice enough small hospital though...

yep, up in OH and so far enjoying things, just busy. How's the kid?

ATP:

Glad to hear you are enjoying things in OH. How is the family doing? Only a couple more years of residency, then we get to have days off. I really am looking forward to getting days off!!

Please say hello to the fam for me.

Wook

whats up guys, took step 3 and passed that sucker.
2nd year is even more hours for me folks, gets better with age though, next year and third year get better.
Tomorrow is my first overnight anesthesia call, I will be the OB king babies..!
Putting in epidurals and spinals for those crash c sections.
Got to participate in a crashed eclamptic the other day....
One word of advice....Respect the airway in pregnant women (especially edematous eclamptics) and definitely respect the airway in those with BMI's over 40 folks, things go sour real fast when the lungs get crumped by the belly....
give me a few years, I'll be the anesthesia man!!!!

whats up guys, took step 3 and passed that sucker.
2nd year is even more hours for me folks, gets better with age though, next year and third year get better.
Tomorrow is my first overnight anesthesia call, I will be the OB king babies..!
Putting in epidurals and spinals for those crash c sections.
Got to participate in a crashed eclamptic the other day....
One word of advice....Respect the airway in pregnant women (especially edematous eclamptics) and definitely respect the airway in those with BMI's over 40 folks, things go sour real fast when the lungs get crumped by the belly....
give me a few years, I'll be the anesthesia man!!!!

Congrats on getting through Step 3!!

Been using the Miller more these days to become more proficient. I like it! Tends be a challenge when someone has a mongo tongue, but it's worked pretty well for me.

Hope all finds you well.

Wook

Hey Dude,
Love the miller blade. I have been using a little more recently just to get proficient with it as well. It is real nice to use it when their trachea is deep and the epiglottis sags in your way. But dude, there are people who think they are way cool cuz they use it all the time, they think others will think they are so cool cuz they intubate everyone with the miller and most people have a harder time with it, cuz it isnt used as much.
But dude, dont fall in that trap, love the mac, the mac is your friend and your pts friend. The miller due to it's pulling on the epiglottis will can cause significant glottal discomfort in a larger percentage of pts.
May look cool to those not in the know, but to those in the know, those who intubate mostly with miller are fools

i agree, i like the mac best. esp in these morbidly obese people we have down here with these humongous tongues.

Hey whats up all. Do you guys get to do any advanced airway stuff in your ED's? Like fiberoptic or bullard intubations? How about cric's or trachs?
Hope all is well with everyone, just sitting here on call in OB...

Hey whats up all. Do you guys get to do any advanced airway stuff in your ED's? Like fiberoptic or bullard intubations? How about cric's or trachs?
Hope all is well with everyone, just sitting here on call in OB...

We have the fiberoptic available. We've done cric's in our ED but not a huge number.

How about youse?

Wook

Wook, you're a man on a mission - to keep your class thread alive. I'm proud of you. (and I just can't resist any thread with UNECOM in it.)

:)

I got lottery comin' up in April. Looks like I'll be moving away from my husband and kids for a year or so - southern Maine looks incredibly popular (again). Bangor looks totaly empty right now. We figure it's better to be 2 or 3 hours away rather than take a chance on southern Maine lottery, not getting it, and potentially ending up in Newark (ew).

What kind of fellowship you thinkin' about?

I got lottery comin' up in April. Looks like I'll be moving away from my husband and kids for a year or so - southern Maine looks incredibly popular (again). Bangor looks totaly empty right now. We figure it's better to be 2 or 3 hours away rather than take a chance on southern Maine lottery, not getting it, and potentially ending up in Newark (ew).

What kind of fellowship you thinkin' about?

Thinking about EMS fellowship.

Bangor is a great facility. Everyone I know that went there loved it (with one exception...one of the surgeons was a tad bit harsh, the rest were great).

Careful on how you view the board. We had a similar spread before lottery (on the board). When lottery came out it evened out. With that being said, Bangor is a great choice. Good luck with the lottery and let me know which Track you end up on.

Wook